So how long does it take to tow a monorail?

stargazertechie

Toy Story Midway Maniac
I ask because Teal broke down and they're towing it off. We have been on the beam between GF and MK for 30+minutes and no updates.

depends on where it is. The tow engine has to come from backstage (behind the MK) to get to the disabled train. They may also need to move/switch other trains to allow the tow engine to get to the disabled train.

It was about an hour all said and done. The monorail pilot kept apologizing and told us all to go to guest relations when we arrived. It was an ugly scene, and the cast members acted like it was a huge inconvenience to issue a single priority access per party.

And this happens regularly?

I sure wouldn't want to pay extra to stay at a monorail resort. I keep hearing stories (even from friends who just came back) about missing ADR's due to monorail breakdowns.

I sure wouldn't want to pay extra to stay at a monorail resort. I keep hearing stories (even from friends who just came back) about missing ADR's due to monorail breakdowns.

Actually no, it doesn't happen regularly. How many stories do you hear about how nice and convenient the monorail was?

I wouldn't say they miss their ADR's they are late for them and are worked in, still unacceptable either way you look at it.

Maybe it's just me but I noticed more problems with the Monorail's since the accident in July 2009. In December of that year we had two issues with Monorail's breaking down and before then we never had issues them when staying at the Contemporary.

The 1st time we were on a Resort Monorail that was at the TTC and we were told to get off because there was a problem with it. Then it took them at least 20 - 30 minutes to decide if they should take tow it to the maintenance area. I was thinking if we were told to get off then shouldn't it be towed right away? In fact when we got on at the Contemporary I told my family something smells like it's burning, which had to be the problem it had.

The 2nd time was a few days later when we had just finished eating at the Kona Island Sushi Bar at the Polynesian and was walking back to the Monorail station when we were told the Resort Monorail was down. We then asked how can we get back to the Contemporary? We were told walk to the TTC, take the Express Monorail to the Magic Kingdom and use the walkway back to the Contemporary. Instead we told them what happened at the Polynesian front desk, who then gave us a taxi voucher so we wouldn't need to pay for one and that was a lot faster then the advice the Monorail Cast Member gave us.

I wouldn't say they miss their ADR's they are late for them and are worked in, still unacceptable either way you look at it.

Now that I think about it, you are right....they were worked in. But if I were in that situation....the anxiety of that happening even one time would outweigh the convenience of getting to 2 out of 4 parks by monorail. Then again, we don't go back and forth to our room once we're in the park and we've never had a bus break down. So I guess I am biased in those senses.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the monorail to go away. I hope that patch it and patch until it's just not patch-able anymore. But I would never rely on the monorail when making ADR's.

Maybe it's just me but I noticed more problems with the Monorail's since the accident in July 2009. In December of that year we had two issues with Monorail's breaking down and before then we never had issues them when staying at the Contemporary.

The 1st time we were on a Resort Monorail that was at the TTC and we were told to get off because there was a problem with it. Then it took them at least 20 - 30 minutes to decide if they should take tow it to the maintenance area. I was thinking if we were told to get off then shouldn't it be towed right away? In fact when we got on at the Contemporary I told my family something smells like it's burning, which had to be the problem it had.

The 2nd time was a few days later when we had just finished eating at the Kona Island Sushi Bar at the Polynesian and was walking back to the Monorail station when we were told the Resort Monorail was down. We then asked how can we get back to the Contemporary? We were told walk to the TTC, take the Express Monorail to the Magic Kingdom and use the walkway back to the Contemporary. Instead we told them what happened at the Polynesian front desk, who then gave us a taxi voucher so we wouldn't need to pay for one and that was a lot faster then the advice the Monorail Cast Member gave us.

The department has gone crazy with new procedures and rules that have turned something that may have previously gone unnoticed by guests into a delay.

Speaking as someone who you could say is in the know, the department has been consumed by rules and procedures made by a legal department as a knee jerk reaction to July 5th.

Rails have been strangled by these rules and procedures to a point where they can almost not function. The new rules and procedures are the primary reason why you are seeing more and longer delays.

We noticed a lot of problems on our December '09 trip, to the point where we avoided the monorails for the duration of the trip. That was the week that there were people stuck on it for hours due to a power failure; we had a dining reservation the next day at Kona and the boat just looked better after watching the morning news talk about the people who had to be evacuated from the trains by the Reedy Creed FD. The next day at California Grill we chatted for a few minutes with a family that was checking in late for their dinner after being stalled on the monorail for 20 minutes, and the following day there was another story on the news about a breakdown between TTC and CR that required a full train to be towed.

Three incidents in as many days kind of took the shine off the monorail for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter