So...how bad will the crowds be at the end of August?

drenkey

Mouseketeer
We're going to WDW during the free dining period so I'm curious to know how bad the crowds will be! Thanks!

The last 2 times I've been to WDW has been at the end of August (2004 & 2006). The crowds are not that bad, school down south return earlier than in New York. Wait times at MK, Disney Studio are about 20-30 minutes. AK about 30 minutes and Epcot about the same. The heat is the issue. It is very hot and possible showers everyday. Please drink plenty of water and take afternoon breaks. All & all if planned right August is not bad. Enjoy!!!

Whiile last week of August is not usually bad, this year may be a lot different. Not only is it the first week of free dining but the last week of summer vacation for many kids, and leading up to the 3 day Labor Day weekend. Just think of it this way...

The heat will be hot and the corwds will be crowded. ;)

Still, you will have a great time. Don't worry!

We went two years ago and the parks were packed at the beginning of the week and managable later in the week. This was also during a free dining period when it first started.

We were there last year at this time. We arrived at the parks when they opened and got a lot done early. The crowds did not pick up until about 12. Even then it was not bad. many areas are already back in school. We found it to be a good time to go because we have to work around our kids school schedules. It is very HOT though.

We are going August 24 through September 2 and know it will be hot, but was hoping the crowds will not be bad since this is considered value season. I realize with free dining the restaurants will be busy.

its not too bad at the end of August.. we go every year at that time.....usually low waits for things.. and manageable crowds..

Go early (a little cooler, and no showers), utilize fastpass, and have your ADRs in place.

See you there! (Aug 20 - 28).

Thanks everyone for the tips!

We have two little kids, both morning people, so early starts and returning to our resort for nap time should work out well. As for heat and humidity, we're used to it in Missouri! Florida shouldn't faze us too much!

Thanks again! :)

I agree early is key, the parks are manageable but you need to get the headliners out of the way first thing.

You and the kids will have a great time :) I will be there then also

We'll be there 8-23-8/29.:banana: :banana: :yay: :yay: I am worried about the crowds also. We'll be leaving the Friday before Labor day...so I was hoping it would not be too crazy.

We're going 8/24-8/29. Our first trip:banana:
I'm definitely going to buy a misting fan for each of us.

Lisa :)

We went the week before free dining last year. The parks were not very crowded (except for one day at Epcot) but it sure was hot!!:sunny: Crowd wise we would definitely go again but the heat is pretty intense for us Canadians!

We went last year that time, we left the day free dining began. We arrived Sat night and FL schools were starting that MOnday morning. Sat night at the hotel, I have never seen that many people in the pool at 9:00 p.m.!! It was so packed. And Sunday was very crowded in the parks. By Monday morning though, things had thinned out and the rest of the week wasn't bad at all. Our last day the crowds were a little heavier, but still not bad. The heat though was outrageous. We are going this year the first week of September and made our reservations a little different this year. Last year, we made our dining reservations for like 5-6 p.m. We ended up leaving the parks in the afternoon because when the sun was out, it was just too unbearable. We then had little time at the pool, and either had no lunch because it was too late to eat because we had dinner reservations in a few hours. This year, we have all of our reservations late (8-8:30)... so that we can come back in the afternoon, grab lunch around 2... enjoy the pool, and not have to be anywhere until 8 or so for dinner. We are only going to be there for 4 days and will use EMH and also attending MNSSHP. So I'm hoping the crowds won't be too bad.

We will be at POP from Aug 25-31. I am hoping the crowds are not too bad but we also have to work around kids school schedules. One DD will be a junior in HS and I don't want her to miss school for a vacation. Plus, I really llike the free dining. Can't wait. It will be a great trip.

Lisa

We went the last week of August last year and are doing it again this year. It was quite crowded compared to my other trips but you just expect that with Disney + free dining + Labor Day weekend.

We took advantage of the Extra Late Magic Hours and that really helped beat the crowds.

Most wait times during that week averaged 1 hour for the big attractions and several, like Splash Mt. seemed to average 90 minutes. Fast Passes really helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter