So here's my question on moderates

sharoncity

Mom of 2; Wishing I was in WDW; I WILL conquer the
Just how much traffic goes by your room? I don't think I'd be real comfortable with people looking in the room all the time. Do you *always* have to keep the drapes shut? Is there more traffic on the first or second floor? I mean if I go back to the room during the day to relax, will I want the drapes shut? Or is it just a occasional person passing by?

When my DW and I stayed at CSR, we were there in October. We kept the drapes closed whenever we were in the room; we just wanted the privacy. I don't know if there was a lot of traffic; I sort of doubt it. CSR was a huge resort and when we were there, it looked like people were really spread out.

You would have to close your draperies or blinds for privacy. Most moderates have an outside hallway that everyone can use. Guests may be walking past your room just to get to the ice machine, or access a pool area.

We stayed in POR in April and it was very quiet. We werent in the room much, But I never saw people walking past my room. I think its the way that hotel is set up. I found it very peaceful.

My opinion with moderated, and values for that matter, is that the top floor gets the least amount of "traffic". Every time we have ever stayed in a moderate or value we have always stayed on the top floor and have never noticed tons of people walking by our room. In fact one time at ASMO we saw 1 person walk by the whole week. We were in a very quiet location and not in a traffic area. If you can try to get a map of the resort you are planning on staying to get an idea of the layout. Also let it be known ahead of time that you would like a quiet area. People are always surprised when I saw this, but all the moderates and values are large and all of them have "quiet" areas.

Good Luck and Have a Wonderful Vacation!!

I never ask for an upgraded or water view. I don't mind looking out to the parking lot and find very few people walk by our door. The pool view rooms seem to get lots of people walking by. We had one family walk by when we stayed at PORS for a week.

It will depend upon where your room is located. Generally, top floor is best, end of the unit is best, away from stairways is best, etc. Just look at a map and plan accordingly.

we stayed at CBR and there werent many people walking by. Even when there were, they did not have their noses pressed up against the window trying to look in. I know when I paassed by windows and even at a glance, you really dont see much. We only closed them late at night and while getting dressed in the morning. We had a good view and didnt care to waste it. Enjoy your trip!

One of the reasons the moderates are so spread out is so that there are not that many rooms per building. There isn't as much traffic as there would be at the All Stars, at least for the buildings like at Caribbean Beach, or at POR - AB.

We have stayed at PO-FQ, CSR and CBR. As someone said above, the further away from the stairway or elevator and more toward the end of the unit, the less traffic, ground floors obviously have more walk-by traffic from people whose rooms are on higher floors. Top floor is generally more private in general because less visible from below.

We usually just kept the sheer drapes closed so we had the light and some of the view, except after dark and when getting dressed in the morning, etc. With the sheers folks just passing by don't really get a look in---if the lights in your room are off, they really can't see anything.

You mentioned what if you go back to the room to relax during the day. We napped in the afternoons with the lights off and sheer drapes drawn and don't remember any disturbances. A lot of folks are at the parks or the pool during mid-day.

We go to CBR in August (late August) and last year we stayed on second floor, very little traffic....but I bet during peak season that would change....we keep things closed only when we weren't "decent"....and at night for privacy

Just posting on a similar topic on another thread-

I'm not sure if it's the noise or privacy that concerns you most- I imagine both are equally troublesome. Noise aside though-on the issue of privacy, whether or not there IS in fact alot of traffic going by, the POTENTIAL that your space will be violated by onlookers give the mod rooms an uneasy feel. If you're like me, resting in the room with the drapes opened is not an option.

Another poster stated that "MOST" mods are external corridors-I thought that they were all like that. I'd go with one of the deluxes-and their rates range if $ is an issue-if that's possible.

We've never been bothered by traffic at the moderates, even on the lower level. Yes, people walk past your room, but as others mentioned, they don't really care what you're doing. I'm not positive, but it seems like they all have both shear drapes and thick ones, and you can open just the thick ones. That will allow the light to come in but keep people from being able to see anything as they walk past.

There seem to be "rush Hours" for the window traffic. It happens early in the morning when everyone is going to the parks, and in the evening after park closings. These are generally times that you would probably have the curtains closed anyway.

You could leave the sheer closed, but the heavy drapes open to let light in when you are dressed.

I NEVER leave the drapes open while we are out of the room. Just leaves it open to encouragement for someone to break in. Generally speaking we leave them open a little bit while we are relaxing in the room. The maids have been good about keeping the drapes partially closed while you are away from the room. I tend to be put on a second or third floor so there is very little traffic. And yes there is more foot traffic near pool areas. This doesn't bother me.
As for deluxes I could hear people out in the hallways at the Contemporary and Beach Club. Just because they have interior hallways doesn't mean there won't be any noise.

We have stayed at POR twice and never had a problem with foot traffic (both times on the bottom floor, once with standard view and once with garden view) or noise. It was always very quite. However, last month I stayed at the All Star Music (second floor, standard view) and it was TERRIBLE. The room and grounds are fine, but I could hear every single noise in the other room and there were constantly people running down the halls and yelling. I found this ironic because earlier that month we had gone on the Disney Wonder and were amazed how quite it was and how you couldn't hear anything from the other rooms, and that's a ship not a building! Anyhow, as everyone else has said you should have no problem at the moderates.

Thanks for your replies everyone! My major concern is really the privacy thing. Noise is not too much of a concern (just same as any other place I may stay.) I do value my privacy but at the same time I don't want to be in a square room with no daylight. Sounds like the sheers will be enough of a "comfort" to me to get what I want. I will also get a resort map after chosing the hotel to look for the quiet areas to request. We are not too much of hotel people as we have a camper that we usually vacation in - all the privacy you want! About the only time we do stay at a hotel is business travel or WDW. And, no we don't take the camper to WDW. It would take us about 3 days each way and we just don't have that much vacation time that we feel it is an option for us. :D
Thanks again for your replies. It cleared up a lot of questions I had.:cool:

Just a thought - since you enjoy camping stay at Fort Wildnerness Camp ground in a one of their log homes. Fort Wilderness is an incredible campground, super clean and very pretty, with lots to do. Enjoy your vacation.

If you're overly concerned about passers-by, why don't you request a first floor room? That way, people (some of at least) will walk straight out from their rooms rather than heading past your room to the stairwell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter