So frustrated with GF IPO...considering a switch to the Poly...

mint julep

Tomorrow is another day...
I am so frustrated with the level of response (or lack of I should say) from the GF IPO that I am feeling distinctly not magical towards them. Many unreturned phone calls and emails. Finally talk to a manager who tells me they are working out about 2 to 3 months right now. FINE AND DANDY other then the ADRs book 6 months out. I already could not get a few of the ressies I wanted. :sad2: However, what really gets me is the lack of customer service from what Disney touts to be it's best of the best. :confused: :headache:

SO ANYHOO...we are booked in the Sugarloaf Lodge during free dining. Disney has openings at the Poly during free dining at the concierge level (both garden view and lagoon view)...we have stayed at the Poly before but not at the CL...What would you do?! Would you switch? How is the IPO at the Poly? Which view would you chose? Lagoon view is not always MK view?

I guess I am just looking for feedback on stays at the Poly CL and maybe a bit of reassurance about the GF IPO (maybe they are just having a bad few weeks?). Also, if anyone has stayed both at the Poly CL and the GF CL please compare and contrast them.

Thanks for any and all input and sorry about the non magical tone of this post. :flower3:

Actually I think the planning office for concierge covers both the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

I am so frustrated with the level of response (or lack of I should say) from the GF IPO that I am feeling distinctly not magical towards them. Many unreturned phone calls and emails. Finally talk to a manager who tells me they are working out about 2 to 3 months right now. FINE AND DANDY other then the ADRs book 6 months out. I already could not get a few of the ressies I wanted. :sad2: However, what really gets me is the lack of customer service from what Disney touts to be it's best of the best. :confused: :headache:

SO ANYHOO...we are booked in the Sugarloaf Lodge during free dining. Disney has openings at the Poly during free dining at the concierge level (both garden view and lagoon view)...we have stayed at the Poly before but not at the CL...What would you do?! Would you switch? How is the IPO at the Poly? Which view would you chose? Lagoon view is not always MK view?

I guess I am just looking for feedback on stays at the Poly CL and maybe a bit of reassurance about the GF IPO (maybe they are just having a bad few weeks?). Also, if anyone has stayed both at the Poly CL and the GF CL please compare and contrast them.

Thanks for any and all input and sorry about the non magical tone of this post. :flower3:

THe poly IPO shares with the WL and they are great! I have used them several times
THe GF and CR share an IPO
the GF IPO is lacking and its quite sad
the onsite staff though are fab and the resort is wonderful
it really depends on you

Don't apologize. The "service" issue (or lack thereof) is the main reason the GF does NOT get the independent rankings that it's prices would lead you to think it deserves. (IMHO it's a problem with all of the deluxes but more of an issue with the GF since they charge a PREMIUM for "something")

We have stayed at both the GF ( Dec 04) and Poly concierge (Aug 04). I wasn't impressed with either IPO. We didn't actually use their services much, but when we did we got the impression that we were bothering them. We had the worse service at the GF RPC . Our room assignment seemed to be a large challenge and we didn't have any special requests. The CM's seemed to be all new and didn't know the hotel at all. I had made most of my own ADR's, but asked GF IPO to add the Processional to my reservation at Le Cellier. When we arrived we found that they had only cancelled our ADR at Le Cellier and we could not get another that week. Our room/park card had to be fixed three times. The first one didn't work on the elevator, the second didn't work in the park and we had to go to guest services to get a temporary one. No one gave us an overview of the RPC and we were there 3 days before we discovered that there was a back elevator for the pool.

At the Poly, I don't think we had them do anything for us, but simple questions were answered curtly.

We did like the concierge lounge at the GF best. The food and service was wonderful and the seating much more comfortable and spacious than the Poly.

First, I have to say that your screen name is great. There is nothing better on a summer afternoon that setting outside with a frosty julep cup in your hand.

Sometimes I think the IPO service just depends on the luck of the draw. It seems that whenever I have planned a concierge trip with Disney, I end up communicating with one person throughout the planning stages. I'm sure there are others who work in the background, but the person that responds to the first e-mail I send is the person who I end up dealing with for all of my planning. Fortunately, I have been lucky enough to get people who seem to pride themselves on service. I'm currently planning a RPC (myself and the lovely lady) and a Contemporary 14th floor (for the parents) this August and have had great service so far. Hopefully you will see improved service.

We've stayed at the Poly CL and RPC, and I'm sorry to say, they have both been equally lacking in service prior to our arrival, so I wouldn't expect much improvement if you did switch.

My last few stays in CL have been at the RPC, and whenever I call, I get an automated message that puts me on hold for as long as 30 minutes before I finally hang up or leave a msg. - which doesn't get returned for days, if at all.

I've had a bit better success with email, but it still takes a couple of days to get a response, and I'm never quite sure that they've put any weight to my requests. I get the feeling that they are pacifying me to mark me in the "done" column. I have to say that the service has picked up in the last week or so, and I attribute that to the fact I am now within 3 months of my stay.

I've gotten to the point that I will only book concierge at the GF, and only RPC, because you at least get the perk of staying in the main building and their lounge is very nice. The added value of "itinerary planning" is rather a wash, as I worry that my requests won't be met and therefore do my own planning.

I know we all look fondly on "the good ol' days", and sometimes with less than perfect recall, but I do remember a time when staying CL at Disney meant swift, courteous and efficient itinerary planning. I wish that were still the case!~sigh~

ETA: - I did want to mention that I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the CMs in RPC who do all the "onsite" concierge service (ie, check-in, changing AR's, etc.) are the same CMs who do the pre-planning for GF/CR IPO. I know that when we are there, these CMs are very, very busy and I sometimes have to wait quite some time to talk with one of them. It appears that they need more help.

IETA: - I did want to mention that I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the CMs in RPC who do all the "onsite" concierge service (ie, check-in, changing AR's, etc.) are the same CMs who do the pre-planning for GF/CR IPO.
While it's true that it appears staffing may be an issue, they are different departments. Onsite helps guests who are physically in the building, and pre-planning helps those that have not yet arrived.

While it's true that it appears staffing may be an issue, they are different departments. Onsite helps guests who are physically in the building, and pre-planning helps those that have not yet arrived.

I know this is the case with most IPOs, but had it in my head that the RPC CMs that sit at the desks on the fourth(?) floor had mentioned that they do all the pre-planning as well. I'm not positive of my memory, though, so I'm sure you are correct.

I do know that many Dis'ers have mentioned CMs by name who are doing their pre-planning, and I've dealt with these same CMs while on property - hence my confusion. ;)

In any case, I know that they are understaffed, so it stands to reason that the IPO is understaffed as well.

For what it is worth, my experiences so far with the Poly IPO have been wonderful. I had no difficulty getting the adrs I wanted. And any changes I've wanted made, have been made quickly and without hassle.

I have had terrible issues with GF IPO. They are non-responsive or I wait on hold for 15 - 20 minutes. Emails have gone without a reply. I made all my own ADRs. It is sad to think I am paying extra for this. My arrival date is
5/16. That is soon and I have still had trouble with them. I am hopeful that the on-site staff is better.

I have had terrible issues with GF IPO. They are non-responsive or I wait on hold for 15 - 20 minutes. Emails have gone without a reply. I made all my own ADRs. It is sad to think I am paying extra for this. My arrival date is
5/16. That is soon and I have still had trouble with them. I am hopeful that the on-site staff is better.

I hope the food is good. I agree that it's sad you are paying extra.

This illustrates my problem with Disney "Deluxes" The only real "deluxe" is the price. Not the service. (And no I don't give them the "Disney" break. We expect the parks to be a lot better then our local Six Flags and are willing to pay more. Why shouldn't the expectations of the hotels be the same??? Why should we "expect LESS" because it's Disney?)

I am reading posts like this one more and more often. It's pitiful. I really think people should write letters to the GF General Manager about this. People are not doing their jobs. I don't understand why this is allowed to continue. I don't think a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons could get away with such cr%ppy service. GF, particularly RPC, is pretty much in that price category. I mean, I myself tend to overlook the negatives b/c I love the GF so much. But "service" like that described in the above post is pretty inexcusable!

For those who have complained, why are the same issues plaguing the GF IPO? Do they just not care because business is so brisk right now? Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks for all of the replies. I am still torn...but now even more upset. We have a stay planned in November at the CR in the Atrium Club...I am NOT looking forward to dealing with the same mess with IPO again. :( I had no idea they shared offices.

I guess I need to take a deep breath and elevate my concerns to someone who can do something...because while this vacation might be up for "switching" our CR plans are pretty much set in stone. SO...I guess I had better find a way to make it work...

However, the Poly is still calling my name! ;)

Thanks for the help!! Any more input would be very welcome!

First, I have to say that your screen name is great. There is nothing better on a summer afternoon that setting outside with a frosty julep cup in your hand.

Thanks! ;) I, of course, agree! Well, one thing might be better...sitting at the derby with a frosty mint julep in your hand! ;)

I have nothing but nice things to say about Poly concierge. I've never stayed at GF, but we stayed concierge last year but didn't utilize the preplanning because we were magically upgraded. The onsite staff were great. They were pleasant and helpful and very friendly. The lounge was awesome, the food was wonderful, I loved the lettuce wraps, the nachos, all the other specialty dishes.

We had such a great experience that we booked it for this coming September. The preplanning staff has been outstanding. Lisette, Sarah, and Cara all have gone out of their way to be helpful. I sent them my ADR requests the week before my 180 days and they set them for me right away. They didn't email me right away with a list, but when I asked for it, they promptly sent it. I got EVERYTHING I wanted. Every question I've asked is answered within a day, via email. My Grand Gathering partner does not have as much luck on the phone and sometimes has to hold, and has begun using email more and it is much more efficient. They are so wonderful that I plan on sending a gift to them before I arrive (I asked them if that is acceptable after they did such a great job with all my requests). For the wildlife Safari Excursion, they even noticed I had 5 booked and let me know that no one under 5 is allowed, my baby is 2. I told them my sister was watching her, but thanks for paying attention!

Above and beyond, so far, and I couldn't be more pleased. I bet you could get lagoon view concierge for what you are paying for GF, and you'd have the best view around in the best building...

I am not trying to make excuses for the Grand Floridian IPO Cast Members, however my feeling is since they also help out Concierge guests at the Contemporary that creates a back log and makes things a lot harder for them, because they are dealing with a lot more guests for two different Resorts.

I am not trying to make excuses for the Grand Floridian IPO Cast Members, however my feeling is since they also help out Concierge guests at the Contemporary that creates a back log and makes things a lot harder for them, because they are dealing with a lot more guests for two different Resorts.

Well, the Poly and the Wilderness Lodge are together...

Well, the Poly and the Wilderness Lodge are together...
I also knew that and I am sure you can use the example I gave about the Contemporary and Grand Floridian IPO Cast Members if guests are having problems with the ones for the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge, since they are working on ADR's and etc for Concierge guests at two different Resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter