• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So Excited - I have to share with someone!

Juliegirl1

DIS Veteran
I have decided to take my son on a surprise Disney trip! We used to go every year but stopped about four years ago. My son is 13, almost 14 and this will be a surprise for his birthday. I'm getting married in April and he thinks his birthday is going to be lame because he thinks all my money is being spent on the wedding.

My thought is that he is still ok with hanging out with mom, he's been asking to go for some time now, it will be our last vacation just the two of us (family vacations from here on out) AND he's going to be surprised with it! The crazy thing is that I am getting married just a month later and it is a total DIY wedding and I have tons to do. I actually think it will be good for me also to take a break from wedding stuff and spend some one on one time with my son before he gets a new stepfather and stepsister.

I'm just very excited and I don't want to spill the beans. Luckily it's only three weeks away - I think I can keep a secret that long!

How are you going to surprise him?? We surprised our kids the day of the trip (literally 15 minutes before leaving for the airport) and it was awesome!!! My oldest and your son are the same age...mine will be 14 in June.

Good luck and have funnnn!!!!

Have fun! BTW, I think you're right about the break from the planning being a nice bonus :)

I think I'm going to treat it like a regular school day but set his clock back an hour. Make him wake up, shower and then tell him he missed the bus so I will drive him to school and head to the airport instead. He's smart enough to know I'll be going in the wrong direction so I will probably give him a Mickey Mouse birthday card with the tickets inside as we pull out of the driveway.

This is such a great surprise for your son and such a great last trip for just you and him like you said. The way you are going to tell him is awesome. I hope you both have a wonderful and magical trip. You are such a cool mom! Have lots of fun!:thumbsup2

What a great mom you are!:lovestruc

Agreed... you probably need a break from wedding planning... it can be stressful, so relax and enjoy your trip!:)

Mine will be 14 in April and has been bugging to go back!! We are going to go over the summer because all of these snow days messed up our spring break schedule. Have fun!!

Wow, what a great surprise! He is lucky to have a momma who takes the time out to do things with just him. I am sure he will be excited and you will have a great time.

One thing I would suggest is telling him the night before or at least 20 minutes before you leave. Let him make some of the last minute decisions on what to bring with him. He might have a favorite shirt or his Ipod or whatever that you might not think about.

I took older daughters on a surprise trip once... turned all the clocks forward (even the one in the car), but forgot about their phones!

What a wonderful surprise!!

My son will be 14 in April and we are planning a trip right before his birthday. I was a bit nervous about even suggesting a trip to the World to him, (being a *ahem* cool 8th grader :cool1:, but he's super excited. Our other trips, I've done all the planning and what not, but this time the whole family is involved. It's been fun planning! Enjoy your trip! And remember, everyone is a KID at Disney World!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter