So does Disney hold cabanas?

Hi...can someone please tell me where to find info on renting cabanas? I'm looking on the DCL website/port excursions/Castaway Cay/Activities, and don't see anything.

I'd appreciate some info on what's included with the cabanas, how much, etc. We're traveling with my mom and mother-in-law who can't walk far so I was wondering if this would be a good option for us. It sounds like you rent by cabana #, so if you could tell me what # is close to the tram stop, that would be great.

Thanks!

Cabanas are listed as port excursions at Castaway Cay. However, they likely aren't available as it's been reported here lately that all cabanas are fully booked at the 120-day mark by concierge. If you really want one, and keep checking daily, you could get one closer to the sail date if someone decides to cancel.

As to info...cabanas on the family beach cost $499 for the first 6 guests with an additional $50 per guest up to a total of 10. On the adult beach, it's $399 for the first 6 guests and additional $50 up to a total of 8. The first cabana is handicapped-accessible and must be reserved through the Special Needs department; that is the closest - others will be further down the path.

If mom and MIL's primary need is a short walk, you might be just as well off with chairs/loungers in the shade on the family beach. I believe the walk for lunch from the cabanas can be longer. We find the second family beach to be quite close to Cookies Too.

Enjoy your cruise!

You do have to be PIF to reserve them, even for concierge. And I'd be interested what would constitute a medical NEED for a cabana period, as opposed to wanting a cabana in general and needing to book the HA one to make it possible. CC provides food, water/drinks, shade, trams, and sand wheelchairs all included with cruise fare. Cabanas are a luxury item for a beach port, not a necessity. Plenty of people feel they "need" them to enjoy their vacation, medical reasons or not, and so they pay for concierge rooms.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Wow! I didn't expect to be attacked!! My family's medical needs are none of your concern! As for PIF, I meant the cabana, not the cruise! And I contacted SN for a HA cabana and it was already taken. I wasn't looking for negativity, just stating MO. I'm sorry if you got offended and needed to reply negatively. :(

I don't think anyone was attacking you. Just pointing out cabanas aren't really a medical need. I'm sure many people ha r circumstances that would make a cabana preferable but no one really *needs* one.

I don't think anyone was attacking you. Just pointing out cabanas aren't really a medical need. I'm sure many people ha r circumstances that would make a cabana preferable but no one really *needs* one.

:thumbsup2: Yes, this. Thank you!

But someone who *wants* one might *NEED* it to be handicap accessible if one was available.

But someone who *wants* one might *NEED* it to be handicap accessible if one was available.

Yes, that's what I said. There's a big difference between NEEDING a cabana outright and WANTING one but requiring that it be HA to use it. Two very different situations. Frankly, I wish DCL had made all the cabanas HA, as it would not have been that much more effort.

Just to be clear that the difference between the HA cabana and the other cabanas is there is a ramp to get in and one to get out to the beach. If I recall correctly there is nothing else different.

We're cruising this Saturday on the Fantasy. I emailed shoreside concierge about 125 days out with a list of questions and requests, including getting a cabana. We received number 6 with them booking it for us.

I'm thinking that concierge definitely holds some of them.

We're cruising this Saturday on the Fantasy. I emailed shoreside concierge about 125 days out with a list of questions and requests, including getting a cabana. We received number 6 with them booking it for us.

It's not that they hold them, they just get first crack at them.

When you contacted them at 125 days out they reserved a cabana for you. All concierge guests have first dibs on the cabanas this way now.

I think the cabanas should have to be PIF to reserve. I've heard people reserve them just to have the option to keep them or not and those who really want one (or need one for personal reasons ie medical) can have a better chance to get one!

But if they don't want them then cancel, others have the exact same chance of getting one. There are still the same number of cabanas and the same number of cruisers, the only difference is that you have to wait, not knowing if you'll get one or not. In fact, I think the average cruiser has a better chance of getting one after cancellation by a concierge because it used to be all the platinum and gold members would book them, and the lowly silvers rarely got one. Now you have hope that those concierge people really didn't want one, will cancel, and you can pounce on it.

Someone is always going to want a cabana who can't get one. There just aren't enough.

Nancy

I think the cabanas should have to be PIF to reserve. I've heard people reserve them just to have the option to keep them or not and those who really want one (or need one for personal reasons ie medical) can have a better chance to get one!

I couldn't agree more! We have gotten one before and will again. And I would be happy to pay in full for it at the time of booking. It's so annoying when people book things in general and then don't use them. :(

We are travelling concierge and didn't know about this "pre-booking" policy and at the 120 day mark, at midnight, discovered all of the cabanas were sold out. My TA swears he wasn't aware of the new policy and we didn't get a call from shoreside ahead of time to prebook.
Suddenly at the 72 day mark a cabana became available.
The key is- keep checking. Check the DCL site every day. People book them and then give them up closer to the date. I have heard if you look at the meet and greet for your particular sailing you might find out before hand that someone is going to drop their cabana and arrange a time to be on line for the drop/pick up. I have also heard that #16 (saved for vow renewals/wedding ceremonies) goes up for grabs on Day 1 of sailing, so if you get on board early and check with guest services you can snap it up. Finally, I understand that many people who book a cabana are more than happy to split the cost of the cabana with another family- so again, check the disboards and even inquire with guest services to see if a family has offered to split.

Good luck. I hope you are successful in finding a cabana!

I'm trying to understand how paying for a cabana in advance makes a difference? I'm not being snarky. Just trying to figure out the logic here.

Even if you had to pay in advance, if you cancel prior to 3 days before sailing, you get your $$ back. If you cancel on the ship, and someone else snags your cabana, you get your $$ back.

Do you mean instead to make them non-refundable? That is the only way I can think of to prevent people from snagging one to give away (coordinating a drop/add, especially with a stranger since there would now have to be a money transfer).

I've booked a cabana for our last two and our next cruise. You reserve it but they don't actually bill you until the daily bill on the ship. They haven't ever charged my card for it before. The cruise.

I'm trying to understand how paying for a cabana in advance makes a difference? I'm not being snarky. Just trying to figure out the logic here.

Even if you had to pay in advance, if you cancel prior to 3 days before sailing, you get your $$ back. If you cancel on the ship, and someone else snags your cabana, you get your $$ back.

Do you mean instead to make them non-refundable? That is the only way I can think of to prevent people from snagging one to give away (coordinating a drop/add, especially with a stranger since there would now have to be a money transfer).

On many other cruiselines, when you book excursions or whatever, you are charged at the time you make the reservation. With Disney's system, you aren't charged until later. Many people who book a reservation they don't have to pay for up front (Disney), won't do it if they are charged right away (other cruiselines). It keeps the numbers down as to how many people actually fill up the spaces on the excursions.

It's not really whether they will lose money or not, but if they don't want extra charges to their credit cards.

I have also heard that #16 (saved for vow renewals/wedding ceremonies) goes up for grabs on Day 1 of sailing, so if you get on board early and check with guest services you can snap it up.

I don't think there is a 16 is there? I'm not sure.

I do know 17 is held back for weddings and it's not released at the 120 day mark. We specifically asked for it and they have us 15. 15 was the furthest out they could release at that point. And I would say it was about 1 month later when they emailed me and switched me to 17 because they opened it up since no weddings had booked.

We stayed in #16 in Sept and did not book until the afternoon before we docked at CC. I guessed there must have been a cancellation. #17 was vacant beside us. The good news is that it looks like they are in the process of building 3 more cabanas beside #17.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter