• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So do you divide and conquer or

jpolak

DIS Veteran
stay together as a group? DD will be almost 8 for our next trip and loves to do the "big" rides. DS will be almost two and there will be another little mouseketer with us. I don't know if DD will still be into Dumbo and the rest of the attractions in Fantasyland. So do you tour together or break off and join up after a little while?

We do it all. We always go in with a game plan. Now that our two oldest are bigger, they like to ride the bigger rides, and could care less about Fantasyland, etc. So, we do divide and conquer quite a bit. Then, we'll meet up and do some rides together. We have also split up for the afternoon break if the older two didn't want to go back. It's nice that we have an even split right now. The younger two and older two enjoy the same types of rides. It definitely makes touring easier knowing we can easily split up when needed. I'm don't miss out on the "wild rides", so it's just fine with me to stay with the little ones while dh goes off and does the big kid stuff:goodvibes

We have one 49" child and one possibly 40" child, but possibly under 40". And a third child who is a baby. We're going to stay together as much as possible. If it's a ride that the older two can go on, then we stay together. If the older one doesn't want to, then he can wait by the ride with one of the adults. It's his choice. But if it's a ride that the second child is too short for, then we'll try to accomodate as much as we can - like go to a nearby play area or let her do another ride more than once. It's a bit trickier for us since it would have to be a ride that baby can go on as well. We'll stay together as much as possible, but we still want the 49" child to be able to do a couple of the bigger rides as well.

DH and I both want to go with the older child so staying together is essential if we're both going to get a chance to do some of the 40+ inch rides!

*We're going in a few weeks so crowds shouldn't be crazy. We'll likely fast past the bigger height rides anyway to make it a bit more convient when we do split up briefly.

We usually stay together BUT we don't have children of different ages with us most of the time. The two who usually go with us are twins so they are the same age. If our older children were to come with us (they usually don't) we would probably split up or let them go off by themselves as they are 18 and 14.

For our next trip in May we are tossing around the idea of splitting up during Star Wars Days. DH and DS are Star War nuts but DD and I are not. I'm thinking of letting the boys go off by themselves while DD and I do our own thing.

Our oldest is 5-7 years older than our other two children, but we stay together. This last trip she was 10.5 and they were 5 and almost 3.

We feel that all the attractions can be enjoyed by all ages, so older DD has no problem riding Dumbo or Pooh with the rest of us. :upsidedow My younger two will ride anything they meet the height requirement for (they are not scared by Pirates or Haunted Mansion). We usually use FP for the major attractions, so between that and Rider Switch we don't wait long. The little one(s) are content to sit outside the attraction and have a snack while the older one(s) are riding. Then we continue on together. A few times dad took them to another nearby attraction when we didn't have FP (like Buzz or the "Blue Line" while older DD and I rode Space Mtn).

Most days we get to a park at rope drop (usually EMH) and head back to the resort for a break by noon. I thought taking a nap would be an issue our first trip with the age difference, but we have found that we're usually tired and hot and we ALL take a nap. ;)

We do plan one evening where I take older DD to a park without the little ones. We have some great mother-daughter memories and it's a fun night of only doing "big kid" stuff.

I am assuming that one parent would take the older child, and the another would take the younger child? I don't see anything wrong with dividing for a few hours. I think everyone would enjoy the trip more actually. No fun for the little ones to wait while ds rides the big rides! I wouldn't spend the whole day apart, but maybe after lunch, yall split up for a couple of hours, and then meet back up for dinner.

We personally stay together. My ds is almost 8 and dd is 2 1/2 and anything that we can all go on together we do, and if we can't the little one and I just hang out (get a snack or find somewhere close to play) while the older one goes on the big ride with Dad. I like it just because I don't want to miss anything from either of my kiddos, and I want us all to spend time together. I think it really depends on the family though and also how much time you have. If we were really short on time, I'd probably be okay splitting up a little, but we haven't really had to yet. My ds gets annoyed sometimes, but I just remind him that we're not just there for him, and I think it's a good lesson to learn. I'm also the oldest and was basically raised the same way as far as theme parks went.

We've only very rarely have split up in the past, but we plan on making full use of the tactic this time, so I'm very interested in reading folks' input regard it.

We have, in the past, had some folks "stay behind" and essentially babysit a child who was too young to go on attractions (typically two years old or younger) while the rest went on rides with an older child. This time, though, we don't have babies anymore. The children, this time, are a very tall for her age five year old, with ride-aversion, and a thrill-seeking ten year old.

We do, as we often have, have the luxury of numerical superiority over the children: We've got them out-numbered, this time, six to two. It seems to me that that really helps facilitate spitting up (as well as helps facilitate a lot of other really good park touring approaches). Figure that the split will generally be focused on the relative interests and capabilities of the two children, and the only real dependency on splitting-up that there is one adult willing to go in each direction, and, with six adults, we have a whole host of combinations available to us. :)

My goal in taking this approach is to minimize the time that M spends waiting around for B to get off of rides M cannot or will not ride.

This is our planned approach to splitting-up, this time around -- what you do think of it?

Sunday - Epcot - Split up for the afternoon, with Team B going on the thrill rides in FutureWorld, while Team M spends most of its time at The Seas, Imagination, and character greetings. Back together for dinner and after-dinner around World Showcase.

Monday - Hollywood Studios - Split up in the morning, with Team B going on the thrill rides, while Team M goes to some of the shows and more character greetings. Back together at lunch and all afternoon, doing the more general interest attractions (Great Movie Ride, stunt show, MuppetVision, etc.), and for dinner.

Tuesday - Animal Kingdom - Again split up in the morning, with Team B going on the thrill rides, and Team M going on both walking trails, the birds show, and Festival of the Lion King. Back together at lunch and all afternoon, doing the more general interest attractions (safari, Tough to be a Bug, Finding Nemo, etc.)

Wednesday - Magic Kingdom - Yet again split up in the morning, with Team B going on the Steam Trains Tour and Team M heading for some of the Fantasyland attractions, before an appointment at BBB. Back together before lunch, and through lunch and the afternoon, doing mostly general interest attractions in Fantasyland, Liberty Square, etc.

Thursday - Magic Kingdom - And once more split up in the morning, this time with Team B going on the Tomorrowland attractions that M cannot go on, while Team M spends more time on the less intense attractions in Fantasyland. Back together at lunch and all afternoon, again, with "do again's" planned for the afternoon.

So generally, except for our first day (which is only a half-day) we're planning on splitting up only for the mornings, spending afternoons and evenings together. The only major attractions it seems we'll hit together, for which M cannot (or will not) ride, is BTMRR and Pirates of the Caribbean.​
As you can see, we're spending every meal, and at least half the time at each park (except Epcot) together as a family.

Pardon me for replying out of order...
I wouldn't spend the whole day apart, but maybe after lunch, yall split up for a couple of hours, and then meet back up for dinner.
I thought a bit about whether to split-up early in the day or late, and decided that first thing in the morning would be best, since generally the split would split thrill rides from non-thrill rides, and the thrill rides tend to get crowded in the afternoons. By splitting up first thing, the thrill-seekers can get to their attractions before they get overly-busy.

We have also split up for the afternoon break...
This the only exception I can think of with regard to my logic, above, and I can still see us breaking up more than I outlined in my plan, if M gets tired before the end of the day. I could see Team B staying at the park until closing, while Team M goes back to the hotel to decompress.

In my personal experience, 8 year olds not only like to do the "thrill" rides, but they like to do everything else as well. While we do split up on occasion, especially when somebody gets tired and needs to go back to the room for a rest; for the most part we always found it easier to stay together. If you use rider switch, each of you will be able to take a turn riding with your 8 year old. There is usually something nearby to do with the little one. For, example, there is a little play are near Splash Mountain, cars to "drive" at the end of Test Track (just go through the exit), Kidcot stop by Soarin etc... It doesn't even have to be something you would consider an "atttraction." DS10 and I had a blast throwing pennies in the fountain by the Muppets when he was 2, while everyone else was on Star Tours. The only ones that are a little tricky are EE, Tower of Terror and RNR. EE and RNR do have gift shops though and this may be a good time for a potty break/ diaper change. I would play it by ear and just be prepared to split up when needed. Which, at WDW is a lot less than you might think. :goodvibes

We usually stay together. Sometimes if someone wants to go on something and others don't I may take the others on a different ride in the same area. My kids are teens now and that is always how we have done it. We even all stayed together in the summer and we had my oldest daughter with my two young grandchildren.

There are times when we divide and conquer. Ours are closer in age that yours, but we still have one that isn't tall enough for some rides. So we have often split up for a few attractions and then meet back up.

I suggest you stay together. You can use the rider switch and get a fast pass for the older child and another adult. This way your daughter will be able to ride the big rides a least two times and 1 time with little wait because you will have the rider switch pass.

We have always split up no matter what kind of group we had. You can get a lot more done and I think that everyone is usually happier.

We personally stay together. My ds is almost 8 and dd is 2 1/2 and anything that we can all go on together we do, and if we can't the little one and I just hang out (get a snack or find somewhere close to play) while the older one goes on the big ride with Dad. I like it just because I don't want to miss anything from either of my kiddos, and I want us all to spend time together. I think it really depends on the family though and also how much time you have. If we were really short on time, I'd probably be okay splitting up a little, but we haven't really had to yet. My ds gets annoyed sometimes, but I just remind him that we're not just there for him, and I think it's a good lesson to learn. I'm also the oldest and was basically raised the same way as far as theme parks went.

This is exactly what we do, and it works really well for us. We use babyswap a lot, and while the older boys are on what we call a "tall ride" with one of us, the other one takes the little one to a nearby ride, playground (there are many, especially in MK) or store (our littlest loves to look at toys, even without buying.) It might not work for everyone, but I do like staying together when possible, for the reasons PP mentioned!

This our typical plan of attack. We will probably end up staying together for 90% of the time. I enjoy the Fantasyland attractions, more than that I want to enjoy DS and the new lttle ones reactions to the rides. DD will be fine (hopefully) and we'll hit those big rides when we can.

Interesting, we were just talking about this, but for a different reason. My parents and my nephews will be joining us this year. My parents were discussing splitting up so that my DH and I could take the nephews on the thrill rides. We'll see how that goes :)

We stay together -- or have on past trips -- with a few exceptions. In MK, for example, we do Fantasyland and Adventureland as a group. When we move to Frontierland, the "bigs" ride Splash Mtn and BTM, while the littlest one an an adult get a snack and play in the play area near the exit. This works for us in most parks, and no one gets stuck on "baby duty" all day because we can switch off.

This year we may do things a little different. We are talking about letting the teens stay in the park with an adult, while the young kids and the grandparents return to the resort for a rest or swim. If we get FPs in the morning, they can ride thrill rides while we're gone. We'll see how it goes!;)

I am assuming that one parent would take the older child, and the another would take the younger child? I don't see anything wrong with dividing for a few hours. I think everyone would enjoy the trip more actually. No fun for the little ones to wait while ds rides the big rides! I wouldn't spend the whole day apart, but maybe after lunch, yall split up for a couple of hours, and then meet back up for dinner.

yep, do this :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter