• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So did anyone else notice...

Hey, so before I got a chance to call ABD, they called me back! The woman I spoke to said that she was actually the one who would be calling folks if trips got cancelled, and that they absolutely will NOT be cancelling any trips within 70 days of departure due to the number of people. Obviously, they still reserve the right to cancel if there is a weather or political or other reason the trip might be unsafe, but for number of people, the policy is 100% not within 70 days.

They are in the process of updating the website. Since the website apparently *is* legally binding, the changes have to go through their legal department, etc, so it may still be a little while before we see everything updated. I asked her more than once about the paperwork, and I just didn't get the sense that they would be re-issuing paperwork. I'd suggest anyone concerned about the wording on their paperwork a) get screenprints of the website and b) contact ABD personally to see if they'd re-issue it on a case-by-case basis.

Hope that answers folks questions! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

Sayhello

Hey, so before I got a chance to call ABD, they called me back! The woman I spoke to said that she was actually the one who would be calling folks if trips got cancelled, and that they absolutely will NOT be cancelling any trips within 70 days of departure due to the number of people. Obviously, they still reserve the right to cancel if there is a weather or political or other reason the trip might be unsafe, but for number of people, the policy is 100% not within 70 days.

They are in the process of updating the website. Since the website apparently *is* legally binding, the changes have to go through their legal department, etc, so it may still be a little while before we see everything updated. I asked her more than once about the paperwork, and I just didn't get the sense that they would be re-issuing paperwork. I'd suggest anyone concerned about the wording on their paperwork a) get screenprints of the website and b) contact ABD personally to see if they'd re-issue it on a case-by-case basis.

Hope that answers folks questions! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

Sayhello

On approximately August 1st 2010, ABD rolled out their rates and dates for 2011.

On approximately August 19th, A.B.D. changed their cancelation policy.

NOW, are you saying that on August 29th, A.B.D. (via this rep u spoke with) changed their policy back???

HUH????

In closing, I appreciate all what u r doing but.....I feel that u r being given a non answer answer. Moreover, anyone will tell anyone that what is legally binding is legally binding.....regardless of what a call center rep tells you.

Again, I wish all of you the best of luck on this as I have stated in my previous above listed posting an effective way to voice your concerns as it worked quite well 4 me.

Anywho -

I was part of the January 2009 mass cancelations by ABD and (one of many lessons learned) I would never run off of a screen shot / screenprint as an alternative to what their cancelation policy currently reads.

****I would request for a whole new contract (without the offending verbiage) to be sent to me.****:thumbsup2

NOW, are you saying that ABD (via this rep u spoke with) changed their policy back?
No, the policy never changed. And it was not a call center rep I spoke to, it was a supervisor. When the policy came out the end of July, with the new trips for 2011, the new policy was "no cancellation within 70 days of the start of your trip". Apparently the Rates & Dates page has always said this. The FAQs got messed up (along, apparently, with the paperwork) but ABD has been telling people all along that the policy is 70 days. Anything besides 70 days is an error, and is in the process of being corrected. There is no need to contact ABD about anything unless you want paperwork that reflects the 70 day policy, which ABD insists is not necessary, but I can understand people wanting.

Sayhello

No, the policy never changed. And it was not a call center rep I spoke to, it was a supervisor. When the policy came out the end of July, with the new trips for 2011, the new policy was "no cancellation within 70 days of the start of your trip". Apparently the Rates & Dates page has always said this. The FAQs got messed up (along, apparently, with the paperwork) but ABD has been telling people all along that the policy is 70 days. Anything besides 70 days is an error, and is in the process of being corrected. There is no need to contact ABD about anything unless you want paperwork that reflects the 70 day policy, which ABD insists is not necessary, but I can understand people wanting.

Sayhello

(since the FAQ section of any dot com's are controlled by people who get their marching orders up from their superiors)....

.....you have said yours......

How about when I head down to WDW in 5 weeks, I buy ya a Guiness at Ragland road & we call it evenpopcorn::.

Looking forward to my trip across the pond in June:woohoo:!

I booked my Enchanted China trip for 2011 for "Adult Exclusive" The TA said 15% is already booked? I know the maximum number in this tour is 44. Has anyone taking ABD ever been canceled due to too few people booking? I did purchase Vacation Protection Plan but planning this far ahead not knowing if ABD will continue with the trip that involves so much money and time does worry me. This is my first ABD booking and I have taken many Cruises and Tours before but minimum number for tours has been 3 or more type of requirements. Anyone have any idea? what ABD considers not enough number for the trip to continue?:confused:

I booked my Enchanted China trip for 2011 for "Adult Exclusive" The TA said 15% is already booked? I know the maximum number in this tour is 44. Has anyone taking ABD ever been canceled due to too few people booking? I did purchase Vacation Protection Plan but planning this far ahead not knowing if ABD will continue with the trip that involves so much money and time does worry me. This is my first ABD booking and I have taken many Cruises and Tours before but minimum number for tours has been 3 or more type of requirements. Anyone have any idea? what ABD considers not enough number for the trip to continue?:confused:

Many of us on the board, including me, had trips cancelled in 2009 due to low bookings. ABD cut the number of dates for each trip significantly in 2010 and that seemed help. I don't recall hearing of any trips being cancelled due to too few participants this year. To the best of my recollection, my trip was at 15% when it was cencelled and they did it early - trip was in June, cancellation came in January. I wouldn't worry though. ABD got a bad reputation for cancellations after the 2009 debacle and I think it's much less likely to happen now and there is still plenty of time for other folks to book your trip.

There is no hard & fast rule, but I've been on 2 ABD's that didn't have a lot of people on them, but they still went. One was Southwest Splendors, and we had 14 people. I also went on the Alaska tour and we had 15 people. The Alaska trip was an Adults-only trip. Granted, I switched to the Alaska trip after my Canadian Rockies ABD was cancelled. But as Bobo912 said, they took a hit for cancelling so many trips in 2009, and I've been told by a supervisor at ABD that they are doing everything possible to *not* cancel trips, including offering fewer departures, and the 70-day guarantee. I think it's one of those things that you just almost have to take a leap of faith. But you do have lots of time for others to sign up. And the China itinerary sounds really fabulous...

Sayhello

Thank you for all your input. I had time to read other threads regarding ABD trips and everyone seem to have had a very good trip. I read amazing thread on China and it really sounds great!
I'm also happy to have found this Disboard too with so many ABD and Disney fans. :yay:

Sayhello

Thank You for all of your efforts to clarify this!!!

Sayhello, Thanks for checking into this. Sounds, like Disney needs to get its act together. As you have pointed out, this is not a minor point. However, their best case scenario, still leaves you vulnerable to a cancellation slightly over 2 months out. Ouch!

Many years ago when I became a first time homeowner (14 yrs ago:woohoo:), I had quite an interesting experience when it came down to the home inspection.
When done, the inspector said a "this & this was wrong & sign here."

I replied I need to read the inspection report before I sign it.

the inspector grew impatient and said a very nasty remark to me.

I then replied that I don't want this house.

He grew r-e-a-l-l-y quiet after the seller yelled at him.

20 minutes later, I signed the report....after I found an error in it (would have costed me 3K had I not caught it).

SO what I am trying to say is that our signature on a legal document is supposed to be a sacred thing, not to be just thrown around as that kind of a behavior can come back to bite one in the rear.

Moreover, has anyone actually taken the time to read all the points of the A.B.D. contract?? I have (June 2009 in time for my Spirit of America trip) and to accept it under a "leap of faith" (currently as is) well....

But hey, others are more than welcome to disagree as I feel the horse has
beaten a little too much here.

Good luck to all.

T.T.F.N.

Well if they are going to do that, will they pay for you to change the airline tickets to accomodate them? they should.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter