So confused about passports

Never mind, I found it. I posted this like 5 seconds too soon.

But since my birth certificate doesn't match my driver's license name, do I need to bring my marriage license too???

This site says that you have to have a passport to go to the Bahamas:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

And when I clicked on info on the DCL site, it says you need a passport for Bahamas cruises as well.

But I keep reading HERE that you don't really need one. Can someone point me to an official website that says birth certificates are enough?

It used to have a clause about closed circuit cruises departing from American ports, but I don't see it on the website anymore. Maybe they've changed policy.

No you do not need to take a marriage license. Your official birth certificate and your DL will do for now. Who knows what the requirements will be next year when you cruise.

I called last week and spoke to a DCL cast member and was was told you did not require one unless it was a international, such as a Mediterranean cruise. We are doing a western carribbean.

I am so glad you posted this thread!

We are going to the Bahamas in October, and just using our birth certificates.
I told my husband if we fly down to Florida , and they don't let us on the Dream, I'm divorcing him on the spot! :rotfl2:

And as soon as our cruise is over, we are getting passports. Then I don't have to worry about them! :lmao: in case we go on a cruise somewhere else. He said, we aren't planning to need them. That's what HE thinks!! :rotfl:

Never mind, I found it. I posted this like 5 seconds too soon.

But since my birth certificate doesn't match my driver's license name, do I need to bring my marriage license too???

I had to respond to this with kind of a funny story!

We went on a cruise last year on the Magic with our family (DH, me, DS and DD) and my sister, nieces and a friend. Before we left Arizona, I told my husband we needed to brung birth certificates for everyone AND our marriage license (I didn't say why I just told him to bring it).

We got to the desk to check in and they asked for the documents. My husband gave them the birth certificates and they asked me for the marriage license. I asked my husband for it and he told me he didn't bring it. I seriously thought he was joking so I laughed. He wasnt joking and they obviously told us we couldnt (well I couldn't) board without it. I started crying and freaking out. My husband and I had a huge argument over it in the terminal.

Luckily, we found a neighbor who was home, and she went to our house, got the license from our safe and drove 15 minutes to fax it to DCL.

While we were waiting for it, my husband was in one part of the terminal and I sat in another, not speaking to each other. Very tense! My sister and her party had to board without us but we made it.

Our boarding picture is kind of funny because my husband and I both look frazzled and annoyed! Needless to say, this year we are getting passports before our cruise in November.

Just an FYI, if the name on your birth certificate isn't the same as your driver's license, you do need your marriage license! See my above story. We laugh about it now, but it was wo stressful and they wouldn't let us board without it. It is for customs.

We just got on the cruise last week and off (through customs) with our birth certificates. No need to have the passport.

Also, there was no request for our marriage license each of the cruises we have taken and my wife's last name does not match her drivers license.

Make sure your BC is a certified copy, with a stamp saying so, some states issue them with a raised seal, some do not. Take your BC to a passport office and ask if they would accept it for a passport application. If they won't you must go to the registrar where you were born, sometimes the state, some times the county and request a certified copy.

Honestly, a passport is not a hassle, I use mine all the time for flying, TSA doesn't have to figure out where all the info is from my DL, I think it makes travel a lot more easy.

Getting a passport isn't a hassle. Not being allowed back in the country, having to visit the embassy all while dealing with an emergency is a hassle.

I'm sure it seems like not getting one saves some steps/money, but you'll definitely regret it, God forbid, should you encounter an emergency on the ship.

I agree that getting passports is not a hassle. My family got them earlier this year with the hope that we'll be cruising soon, and it was easy. Pro-tip, though: Try to get them done during a weekday. We went on a Saturday and waited a few hours due to a crowd. This was because A) it was a Saturday and B) they're open less hours on Saturdays. But honestly, that was the only annoying bit. We had all the paperwork and documents ready to go, so it took 5 minutes for the postal worker to process it and take our fees. The worker told us that it's best to go during the week, because no one goes during the week--they all go Saturday.

Honestly, you'll have less hassle than having to worry about birth certificates and then being stuck if for whatever reason you have an emergency in one of the non-US ports. Plus, you never know when the policies will change again.

Honestly, a passport is not a hassle, I use mine all the time for flying, TSA doesn't have to figure out where all the info is from my DL, I think it makes travel a lot more easy.
:thumbsup2
Getting a passport isn't a hassle. Not being allowed back in the country, having to visit the embassy all while dealing with an emergency is a hassle.
I agree that getting passports is not a hassle. My family got them earlier this year with the hope that we'll be cruising soon, and it was easy. .
Honestly, you'll have less hassle than having to worry about birth certificates and then being stuck if for whatever reason you have an emergency in one of the non-US ports. Plus, you never know when the policies will change again.

Personally, we wouldn't leave, the U.S., without our passports.

I was told that if there's an emergency and you need to be airlifted off the ship to return to the USA....you will not be permitted without a passport. You can leave without one and return without one by boat, but you need one to return by air. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We got passports for each one of us. Printed the forms off the US Passport website, went to the courthouse (no lines), got our pictures done there, paid the fees, and they were mailed to us within 2 months. Very easy and it gave me piece of mind.

I was told that if there's an emergency and you need to be airlifted off the ship to return to the USA....you will not be permitted without a passport. You can leave without one and return without one by boat, but you need one to return by air. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We got passports for each one of us. Printed the forms off the US Passport website, went to the courthouse (no lines), got our pictures done there, paid the fees, and they were mailed to us within 2 months. Very easy and it gave me piece of mind.

You were told correctly. If you need to return not onboard the ship for any reason, it can be a very complicated and tricky process without a passport, including needed to get the US Embassy involved (because you are now a US citizen in a foreign country attempting to travel without proper documents). With a passport, easy-peasy.

i don't want to do the hassle of passports....lol

Hassle?
Step 1. Download a form from the internet and fill it out.
Step 2. Get a photo taken.
Step 3. Mail the above along with a check.
Step 4. Check mail.

Where's the hassle? Compared to trying to get home without a passport in case of an emergency, it is SOOOOO hassle-free.

Of course, it is an "each to their own" decision.

- Dreams (who does not leave the USA without a passport)

I am so glad you posted this thread!

We are going to the Bahamas in October, and just using our birth certificates.
I told my husband if we fly down to Florida , and they don't let us on the Dream, I'm divorcing him on the spot! :rotfl2:

And as soon as our cruise is over, we are getting passports. Then I don't have to worry about them! :lmao: in case we go on a cruise somewhere else. He said, we aren't planning to need them. That's what HE thinks!! :rotfl:

Passports take 5 minutes at your local post office. Download the information, fill it out, go the post office, they take your picture, you are set. I had to do mine expedited last time due to an unexpected trip out of the country. So unfortunately it cost $100 to get it done within 48 hours. Literally, I went to the post office and had my official passport in hand 48 hours later. If you aren't rushing, it should be about $10 and take a few weeks.

Passports take 5 minutes at your local post office. Download the information, fill it out, go the post office, they take your picture, you are set. I had to do mine expedited last time due to an unexpected trip out of the country. So unfortunately it cost $100 to get it done within 48 hours. Literally, I went to the post office and had my official passport in hand 48 hours later. If you aren't rushing, it should be about $10 and take a few weeks.

$10 for a passport. Man you guys are lucky. Ours cost about £90 :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter