So, back from WDW and the smokers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
as far as resorts ar concerned:although I know this will never happen, I still say if you allow smoking in the top floors of resorts, you could avoid the major smoke in the DSAs right outside the food courts. smokers collect there in the morning, having their coffee. let the smokers smoke in their rooms, where it won't bother anyone else. then you could limit the DSAs at the resort.

hubby and I are considerate smokers. we also spend our money at disney... OFTEN!!! you cannot just"step outside" the park to have a cig. those people who walk while smoking.. well, we never did that even when it WAs allowed.
you cannot disallow something just because SOME do not abide by the rules.
I have seen many drunks behaving inappropriatley, esp. at epcot (with the "drink around the world" philosophy) swearing in front of children, etc. should we disallow drinking at the parks? there are many studies showing the ill iffects on our health, liver, etc. due to drinking. should I post a picture of a healthy liver and a liver affected by years of drinking?
that's it! I was bothered by drunks at epcot. make drinking alcohol against the rules. because SOME did not abide by the rules. I am against drinking... my mother died from alcoholism, as did my second cousin, it is unhealthy,)I can post pictures of livers due to the effects of alcohol. and children don't need to see people drinking alcohol, and Disney is ONLY for children, after all.
ok, speaking toungue in cheek here, but do you see how ridiculous this is?
now, I agree, and have stated in previous posts, the DSA by Aloha Isle in stupid. even before smoking was the "bane" to society is is now, in Chicago we had Ice cream parlors that didn't allow smoking, because it taints the taste of the ice cream... I AGREE.

however, there used to be a DSA in Epcot,near the fountain ,but set WAY back near mouse gears (NOT anywhere NEAR an entrance., NOR near the pathway. you literally had to make a point to walk TO it to find it. THAT one is gone!:confused3. there WAS a DSA behind Norway. there was no reason to walk by it unless you wanted to smoke. the more direct path led to the restrooms. the entrance to the Maelstrom or the bakery was way past it.
we smokers try to stay out of the way... really. we never smoke around our grandchildren, and we won't smoke around yours. but we WILL smoke in the designated areas. (even though I HAVE put my cig. out if a child is coughing because their parent didn't keep them away from the DSA) and, BTW, hubby and I have decided not to use the DSA by ALoha Isle anymore.

I appreciated the before & after pictures of the lungs.

Now, can you find comparison pictures of the insides of slim, trim torsos, vs. obese torsos? Maybe that would be an incentive for me to lose weight!!! :thumbsup2

Back to topic....I think the Gov't's attempt (both federal & Fl state) are trying subversively to get all smokers to quit by placing exorbitant taxes on cigarettes. I think here in Florida, it's now about $5/pack due to the taxes. That, coupled with all the unemployment, should get some people to quit smoking. If not, the increased taxes can help supplement their health care.

I guess, I'm going to post from a different standpoint.

I don't smoke, and it doesn't bother ME necessarily. I go to bars w/smoking and stand outside with co-workers and talk while they do. (I don't go near my son afterwards w/o a shower though--see below)

However, I assumed when I heard Disney was non-smoking, that we would not be exposed during our trip.

Now I'm worried, and not because I don't like smoking....

Because, exposure to even one good deep breath of smoke, could end our trip and put my 7yr old in the hospital.

He has Cystic Fibrosis, and we are going on our first (and likely only) trip to WDW in May thanks to the wonderful people at Make-A-Wish.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell from looking at him, but he didn't get the chance to have clean/healthy lungs, his were destined to shorten his life from before he was born.

At this point we do everything we can to protect the lung function he has, and that includes avoiding smokers at all costs.

So I would ask those of you that smoke, please just remember that while it is your right to destroy the beautiful pink lungs God gave you, please follow the rules so those w/o them don't suffer any more than they already do. To those of you that do, thank you.

Do you really think that such a post is going to change the mindset of a smoker? People make choices in life; I am certain that you have not always made the 'best' choices either. But perhaps some compassion or at least understanding would deliver your message more constructively than by insulting your readership.

I actually have never smoked a cigarette in the United States, and am a very rare smoker in Europe and Asia, so don't consider myself a smoker by any means.

But it is insulting and intolerant behaviour which I see in America towards smokers which makes me pleased to belong to a society which is perhaps somewhat more accepting of people and the choices they have made in regards to this subject.

I am not a smoker (never have been) nor is any of my family BUT I agree the smug sanctimonious whittering from non smokers is irritating and I saw the behaviour of these non smokers going near the DSA's and doing that fake cough rubbish, grow up if you don't want to be near smokers keep away from the smoking areas.

I think that I might just make it a point to go to smoking areas just to be nice to smokers. Some people do need to grow up.

The smoking areas are easliy avoided. Just as smokers have to plan in order to find the designated areas, maybe you need to plan in order to avoid those same areas.

I think that is ridiculous. I should have to check my map for designated smoking areas when I am a nonsmoker so I can avoid being forced to breathe in second hand smoke? Interesting.

I think that is ridiculous. I should have to check my map for designated smoking areas when I am a nonsmoker so I can avoid being forced to breathe in second hand smoke? Interesting.

No you don't have to check your map just don't gripe if you walk right through one.

I don't mind people smoking in the designated smoking areas. I don't get why anyone would complain about having to breathe in smoke in those areas. If it's a problem, just stay away from them.

For the most part, the only time I see a large number of folks smoking where ever they please is at DTD. It gets so crowded there in the evenings and yet, I see folks walking through the crowds with lit cigarettes in their hands. It is just plain dangerous. You are often body to body walking through many areas. It would be so easy to burn others.

That being said, I don't see that many people smoking in non-smoking areas at the parks. I don't hang around the resorts, so I have no clue there.

Problem is:

A.Half the people don't stay in those areas. They see it as "No big deal. I don't care what Disney says", as opposed to "Maybe other people don't feel like sucking in smoke."

B.The areas are a joke. You STILL have to walk by most of them. As I've said before, for me, no big deal. I can hold my breath. My kids don't know any better.

I stopped reading at this post, so if what I am saying has already been said: please disregard. I just needed to put in my .2

There is no way in heck that "half" the people don't stay in those areas. I have been several times at one of the busiest times of the year and have NEVER seen anyone smoking out of the areas.

And I have sat, reading this thread, thinking of the smoking areas in Magic Kingdom. (I am a former smoker, my husband smokes) The ones in Tomorrowland are so far out of the way, you would have to go looking to walk by them! And I cannot remember a single one that you "have to walk by", since they took out the one on the walkway behind the castle. Besides, I just don't believe that those 3 seconds of maybe breathing in a small amount of smoke is going to affect a healthy person.

At Pop, my husband had to go downstairs from our room and behind the building out by the lake to find a smoking area (not complaining, just saying where it was). We knew there was another one by the pool bar (maybe even including the pool bar?) and another by the door to the main building--but we never saw anyone smoking anywhere else. I do agree that they should do away with the one right by the door of the main building and just leave the one by the pool bar.

Expecting Disney to completely ban smoking is just not reasonable. In doing so, they would be turning away a huge number of the US population (expecting a smoker to go several days without being able to smoke at all is just unrealistic) plus isn't smoking more acceptable in other countries? If that is true, then they would be doing something that may make their international visitors think twice about visiting, too.

Smoking is a terrible addiction that will kill the smoker and endanger those who have to breathe in the second hand smoke on a regular basis. There is no denying those facts. But, there is also no denying that there will always be smokers and drinkers and those that partake of other vises. Expecting it to just go away because that is what we prefer is just not a reasonable expectation.

And so, if anyone is that adamant about staying away from any possibility of breathing in smoke, then yes maybe they should check the maps for the smoking areas and stay clear of them. Otherwise, you can't really complain. If you see someone smoking outside the area, tell the closest CM and then stay away from the person. You cannot control what others do but you can certainly stay away from their actions.

as far as resorts ar concerned:although I know this will never happen, I still say if you allow smoking in the top floors of resorts, you could avoid the major smoke in the DSAs right outside the food courts. smokers collect there in the morning, having their coffee. let the smokers smoke in their rooms, where it won't bother anyone else. then you could limit the DSAs at the resort.

hubby and I are considerate smokers. we also spend our money at disney... OFTEN!!! you cannot just"step outside" the park to have a cig. those people who walk while smoking.. well, we never did that even when it WAs allowed.
you cannot disallow something just because SOME do not abide by the rules.
I have seen many drunks behaving inappropriatley, esp. at epcot (with the "drink around the world" philosophy) swearing in front of children, etc. should we disallow drinking at the parks? there are many studies showing the ill iffects on our health, liver, etc. due to drinking. should I post a picture of a healthy liver and a liver affected by years of drinking?
that's it! I was bothered by drunks at epcot. make drinking alcohol against the rules. because SOME did not abide by the rules. I am against drinking... my mother died from alcoholism, as did my second cousin, it is unhealthy,)I can post pictures of livers due to the effects of alcohol. and children don't need to see people drinking alcohol, and Disney is ONLY for children, after all.
ok, speaking toungue in cheek here, but do you see how ridiculous this is?
now, I agree, and have stated in previous posts, the DSA by Aloha Isle in stupid. even before smoking was the "bane" to society is is now, in Chicago we had Ice cream parlors that didn't allow smoking, because it taints the taste of the ice cream... I AGREE.

however, there used to be a DSA in Epcot,near the fountain ,but set WAY back near mouse gears (NOT anywhere NEAR an entrance., NOR near the pathway. you literally had to make a point to walk TO it to find it. THAT one is gone!:confused3. there WAS a DSA behind Norway. there was no reason to walk by it unless you wanted to smoke. the more direct path led to the restrooms. the entrance to the Maelstrom or the bakery was way past it.
we smokers try to stay out of the way... really. we never smoke around our grandchildren, and we won't smoke around yours. but we WILL smoke in the designated areas. (even though I HAVE put my cig. out if a child is coughing because their parent didn't keep them away from the DSA) and, BTW, hubby and I have decided not to use the DSA by ALoha Isle anymore.

You realise this thread is a year old, right?

All that shows is that they are lucky. :confused3 I wouldn't do anything that destroys the quality of my life, or shortens it, just hoping that I was one of the FEW lucky ones. Your family is the exception, not the rule, or majority.....

:teacher:

Here is a healthy lung (pic A):
clean_lung_hr.jpg

And here is a smoker's lung (pic B):
cancer.jpg

SO, anyone who would RATHER have lung B over lung A, is, by definition, stupid.*.

*STUPID:
Pronunciation:
\ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupēre to be numb, be astonished — more at type
Date:

1 a: slow of mind : obtuse b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>4 a: lacking interest or point <a stupid event> b: vexatious exasperating <the stupid car won't start>

There is no simpler way to put it. People who smoke think that is something they CHOOSE to do. It's not. You are doing it b/c you have either: a) been brainwashed by marketers and ad-execs into trying their deadly product. Once you try, you are addicted, and controlled by a substance and the big tobacco companies who are raking in your hard earned money, laughing at you while you smoke your life away. Hopefully, for them, you are causing your very own children to become addicted to it as well, which ensures that after you die pre-maturely, your kids will continure on spending THEIR hard earned money, and so on.

OR, b) your parents/grandparents/guardians are the ones who smoked around you and are the biggest reason that you continue to be controlled, like little weak minded zombies, by a four inch wad of tobacco and chemicals rolled in paper.

There is nothing cool, adult, mature, or intelligent about the act of smoking.

OK, I'm done and I'm going to bed....

This is a terribly rude post. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This thread is over a year old. There's no need to argue over words posted so long ago.

I'm going to close it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter