So... Another Mac or a PC?

That must have been quite a long time ago. I've been using macs since 2006 and they all have multiple USB ports (granted that the laptops have 2 USB ports, but with hubs, that's not a big deal) and super drives, which is what Apple calls their CD/DVR drive.

If you are looking only at the Macbook Air, however, you are correct since, due to size, it doesn't come with an optical drive.

nor does it come with very many USB ports, or USB 3.

Ultrabooks also don't have optical drives.

Brownielq and I had a similar discussion. The PC I use now is slowly dying and performing disappointingly. The hard drive was going bad and I kept it alive for 6 more months by switching to Linux, which was far more tolerant of the issues. I'm sold on running Linux now but I miss my Windows games. She wants to move to a Mac, but they're so pricey for what you actually get. The solution? A Hackintosh! Noobs can't post links but Lifehacker.com has a great article.

I know that you've decided to go with a Mac which personally would have been my choice as well so, my advice to you will echo what an earlier poster said. Have a look at the refurbs from Apple's or even MacMall's site. You can usually get a current generation system at a significant discount with a full 1 year warranty.

In addition, if Apple does announce new hardware at WWDC then you can be assured that online retailers will have sales to get rid of their current stock so you might be able to pick up a brand new, 1 generation old system at a good price.

Just my $0.02 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter