Snowglobe ?s

PatRin

Earning My Ears
I am an avid snow globe collector and this is my first trip to Disney World - 33 days to go!!! Does anyone know what the prices range? Im expecting about $50 for decent ones and Ive looked at the Disney store for ideas. My main worry is that we are flying...50lb luggage requirements get ruined quickly with snow globes!! Does anyone know how much it is to ship them home? (Oklahoma for me). TIA for all your help!!:goodvibes

I'm not sure about pricing....I believe they range anywhere from $50 to over $100. As far as bringing them home....have Disney ship them home for you. If you're checking your luggage, you run the risk that it will be destroyed. (I've had that happen and it was packaged really well)

You can't bring it on as a carry-on because of the liquid. My mom had bought one when she visited me and security told her it was against regulations because of the liquid. fortunately we were still in the airport so security gave the snow globe to me and I mailed it to her.

I think shipping is relatively inexpensive .... I would guess under $10 to ship it. but it's totally worth it to save your snow globe. I'm planning on getting one as well and we're shipping ours for sure. :thumbsup2

I've only ever bought a couple over the years, seems the most expensive one was in the $40-50 range - but then I am not a collector...

As for shipping home, there are two ways to go about this, and you'll need to do a little research to figure out the less-expensive alternative.

Disney park shops and resort gift shops will ship them for you - shipping rates are based not on weight but on purchase price/value of items shipped. This tends to be much more expensive than weight-based shipping, covered in the next option. You can find those rates online (although I'm sure someone around here will be along to post them shortly).

You can ship things to yourself at home via FedEx or UPS, at weight-based/zone-based public rates, from the front desk of your resort. You will have to check up on what those rates would be, by looking up fedex.com and ups.com before you leave home. This one usually works out much less expensive for me.

Be prepared to find prices very high for snowglobes. I would suggest the best place to shop for them is at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney. They have a huge selection of snowglobes. I would also suggest shipping from your hotel front desk instead of shipping from the store.

I too am a snowglobe nut, since you are flying you have no other option than to ship it home. So budget for that.

The globes range from $10 (minis) to $100. Shipping isn't that bad, around $10 to ship from FL to Michigan.

If you see multiple ones, I would suggest going to DTD and shop in the World of Disney store, where they pretty much carry everything in the gift stores. That way if you have mulitples they can send/package them together and it would be cheaper.
If I am not mistaken shipping is based on amount of purchase price.

Have fun they have tons of globes!

Here are the shipping rates, if shipped from a Disney park (or DTD) shop or resort gift shop:
if the value/purchase price of the items shipped is 0-50.00 = shipping cost 9.95
50.01-75.00 = 14.95
75.01-100.00 = 19.95
100.01-150.00 = 24.95
150.01-250.00 = 29.95
250.01-500.00 = 34.95
500.01-1000.00 = 39.95

By comparison, to ship 12 pounds of merchandise to myself from the resort front desk last April (purchase total of around $300), using UPS ground, my bill was $14.82.

Are you going to have a car? Seriously, try to google area flea markets around WDW. My ILs live in Clermont about 30 minutes from the parks. My MIL has a HUGE Disney snowglobe collection. She has purchased them all brand new from the area flea markets. She told me (do not know if this is true or not) that some employees buy them with their discounts and then resell them at flea markets in the area for reduced prices.
Again, before any one flames me this is what I was told. I have no idea if this is true or not.
Anyway, I've checked the bottoms of the globes and they are all legitimate Disney merchandise that is available in the parks. None of them appear to be seconds. They come with their full packaging and everything.

Might be worth a look if you have time and desire. If not, WoD has some beautiful snow globes. And I would look into having them shipped home with full insurance. The way they throw those suitcases around at the airport scares me. :scared1:

I think I paid about $75 for my large villains one a few years back.But they range in price and tend to be a little higher.As others have said you can't carryon the plane, and checking runs very HIGH risk of it being destroyed.Disney ships stuff home for you and it is not that expensive

Here are the shipping rates, if shipped from a Disney park (or DTD) shop or resort gift shop:
if the value/purchase price of the items shipped is 0-50.00 = shipping cost 9.95
50.01-75.00 = 14.95
75.01-100.00 = 19.95
100.01-150.00 = 24.95
150.01-250.00 = 29.95
250.01-500.00 = 34.95
500.01-1000.00 = 39.95

By comparison, to ship 12 pounds of merchandise to myself from the resort front desk last April (purchase total of around $300), using UPS ground, my bill was $14.82.

Did the front desk box everything up for you ? (did they charge your for packaging?) I've never done that before but it seems like a WAY better option (and cheaper!)

50.01-75.00 = 14.95
75.01-100.00 = 19.95
100.01-150.00 = 24.95
150.01-250.00 = 29.95
250.01-500.00 = 34.95
500.01-1000.00 = 39.95

That is right...
DH got me one in DTD the 1st year snowglobes were not allowed as a carry-on..
Now of course i did not know this...
We were in the disney shop at the airport and i was talking with the CM..
I told her about DH buying me the snowglobe and how i was planning on carrying it on..

She stopped me right there and told me it was not allowed, but she could ship it from the store...
It was around $15 shipped UPS..

Hope this helps..

Awesome - thanks for all the input! It looks like I will be shipping from the hotel or the stores....the way that luggage is treated scares me too!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter