Snow Plowing Question Budget related

Starwood--have you tried contacting local landscaping companies? Where I live a lot of them switch to providing snow removal services during the winter. Another thought--what do your neighbours do about snow removal? They might be able to provide a referral for you.

That's who were were contacting. They want to do businesses and don't want to be bothered with residential.

Back when we paid, we paid per storm. It had to be a really big storm for John to come twice. We live on a class six road and are a ways off the forest service road that the town plows so snow blowing the road is not really an option, although we did it once or twice. Now our only two year round neighbors both have plows on their trucks. One plows in the winter for cash, the other is retired now but still has his plow. One or the other of them gets the road since they use it too. We give them each $100 and a 30 pack of beer at Christmas as a thank you. They won't let us pay each storm.

We snowblow or shovel our walkways and driveway, although when my husband had surgery one of the neighbors did do the driveway for me when he saw me struggling with the snowblower!

We get a contract every year - it's the norm around here.

We paid $200 for Nov - March and I would say that usually we break even vs. if we paid per trip, but this year I think we're going to save some money doing it this way - since they've already had to come 4 - 5 times and usually in December it's lower than that.

They come very 3''.

We also have a snowblower and dh uses it during very snowy times to keep the driveway down to the pavement. It is a huge convenience to have the snowplow, however, so we don't have to figure out if we need to wake an hour early to even get out the driveway to work - we know the plow always comes before work time and we can at least get out - dh will sometimes snowblow any remainder after work.

So we do both!

With the kids getting older and able to help shovel us out - I've considered dropping the contract for awhile...but of course the bus will start coming earlier when they're in middle/high school - so to get them up early enough to actually do it - I think I'll just pay the $$ for the contract!

We pay a monthly fee, year round, that covers lawn mowing in the summer (once per week) and snow plowing as necessary (contract specifies they will plow for any snow more than 2 inches). Some years, it works in their favor, and some years in our favor. Overall, it's a wash, I think.

It's the nature of the business if you mow and blow.

We pay $15/plow and he generally comes when there's 6-8 inches of snow on the ground or if you need to get out to go to work. So this storm (9") was a two plow storm.

I believe it's $35 if we need him to come with the bucket loader and push all the snowbanks back. And yes, it's come to that several times since we've lived here.

It would take a seriously long time to snowblow our driveway.

NHWX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter