Snow killing anyone else's plans!!

This snow is just killing me!! I'm a teacher...and right now we're scheduled to get out May 27th (we've already used 2 snow days). I have our trip booked for June 1-8. We can use two more snow days and still get out ok to fit our plans.

Now they're calling for this HUGE snowstorm to come through. I haven't booked plane in case something happens.

Our district will not use more than 5 days...if we use the remaining 3 snow days...that puts our institute on June 1 and one hour report card day June 2. I'm thinking of just booking and if we take 3 more days...to use my personal days on those 2 days. There's nothing in our contract that doesn't say we can't take those off....and if I have everything turned in, etc...I don't see why it can't be a problem.

I just HATE the now knowing! I hate not being able to say, "We're leaving June 1st for Disney for 7 days!!"

Anyone else going through the same thing?!?!!?

If not...thanks for listening!!

...and we are hosting the Super Bowl:scared1:.

T.T.F.N.

Wait a personal day?! I thought each and every day is important for the students. That's what is said over and over again on the "should I take my child out of school" thread.

Wow getting out in May seems so early. Here in the northeast, we don't finish school till mid to late June. Of course, school doesn't start till after Labor Day. :goodvibes My school builds in 4 snow days and we used 3 in 10 days this month! And, there's supposed to be a huge storm coming Tuesday and Wednesday! Not really sure what happens if we go over our days, but after losing a trip to WDW last President's weekend, we won't plan a winter trip again any time soon. I never schedule a trip close to the end of the year because I'm afraid we'll have a winter like this one and then what? It is very nervewracking! Spring can't come soon enough. Since Christmas, this winter has been ridiculous. Good luck! And for those planning to fly out this week, bigger good luck!

It probably seems early, but we start August 1st! Lucky you! I would love to start after Labor Day!! ;)

How do you know when the airlines will allow you to change your flight without charge? We are set to fly out Tuesday morning from Tulsa, OK, but that looks like am impossibility due to our weather forecast. We would like to get out tomorrow, but to change right now would cost us over $2500.00.

Not causing any issues with our vacation seeing I am going in March. But it has been horrible thos winter so far. We have used out built in snow days, we have had more than that and looking like another one this week. last week we got out half day Wed, Thursday no school, 2 hour delay Friday!
As of now they are going to start taking april vacation. I think they should just get rid of Feb break and maybe change April and just give us one week say end of March! I mean really the kids just had Christmas break and in our calendar for feb they have 3 half days planned and 1 teacher trainging day off.
I am sure lots of people are with me and done with this snow. I have about 4 feet in my backyard and it is not even Febuary yet!

Wait a personal day?! I thought each and every day is important for the students. That's what is said over and over again on the "should I take my child out of school" thread.

If you read my post, I said the two days I would take as personal days....are days that students would not be in attendance. So...I wouldn't be taking anything away from them!!! I mentioned that I would not miss their last day of final exams!!

And yes...at our district we get 3 personal days. In case I need to go to my daughters school or do something with my family. Most jobs get how many vacation days!!???

If you read my post, I said the two days I would take as personal days....are days that students would not be in attendance. So...I wouldn't be taking anything away from them!!! I mentioned that I would not miss their last day of final exams!!

And yes...at our district we get 3 personal days. In case I need to go to my daughters school or do something with my family. Most jobs get how many vacation days!!???

Just proving a point that not every day is important in school. I mean I know I really learned alot the days teachers showed a video. Go do you and have a good trip.

How do you know when the airlines will allow you to change your flight without charge? We are set to fly out Tuesday morning from Tulsa, OK, but that looks like am impossibility due to our weather forecast. We would like to get out tomorrow, but to change right now would cost us over $2500.00.

We are flying out of Newark on Tuesday morning and I would also like to leave Monday afternoon. We are flying Continental and if you go to the website, there is a red highlighted area that says "website updates." When you click that, it lists the airports and dates that they are waiving the fees for. Currently, they are only listing Chicago's O'Hare airport for 2/1-2/3.

I'm waiting for them to list Newark so we can get out on Monday. I don't want to take a chance and wait until Tuesday morning, but I don't want to pay the extra fees. They extra fees are more than the cost of the original ticket.

Good luck!

Just proving a point that not every day is important in school. I mean I know I really learned alot the days teachers showed a video. Go do you and have a good trip.

Not every teacher is anti family/Disney vacation. My DS's teacher is all for us going, and him missing school. She is a firm believer that family time and bonding is just as important as what he could be learning in class. Albeit, he is a straight A student, and being an educator myself (at the collegiate level), I did not demand homework upfront- rather however she felt most fit, and what would work best for her, and the lesson plans that she has spent HOURS putting together.

So, are you saying teachers are lacking if they show a video? :confused3 How many hours a day do your kids watch TV? Does that make you a lacking parent?!?! Just curious. Teaching has to be one of the hardest, most under paid (especially considering the education, continuing education, and BS that goes into it), under appreciated professions there is.

Sorry, it just ticks me off when people try to say that teachers "get off easy", or feel that they don't deserve personal time.

With that said, OP, I feel you on not wanting anymore snow! We are in Metro East STL, having moved here from C-U about a year and a half ago. This winter has been particularly horrific. We are slated to get slammed with this front too. I am bracing- DH is in Vegas for work, and I am fearing power outages, and inablilty to get out of the house what-so-ever (just had back surgery, so shoveling isn't even an option here). Tried to convince him to have the kids and myself fly down to MCO tomorrow and ride it out down there.... seems he doesn't think that adding a week to our already 10 day vacation is a viable option ;)

It's killing us cus we are afraid it might prevent us from flying out on time or from flying back. We fly into and out of Philly and the snow has been super unpredictable as of late. I'm starting to panic because while it's still 10 days out they are already predicting snow showers the day we are flying out. I hope it gets pushed up a day or back a day. I don't care so much about if I have to spend an EXTRA day in Florida, it's loosing the first day I don't like the idea of.

When I first read this thread title I was like "What is that pesky litte Snow White up to again?" and then I thought about it some more and I was worried that people were canceling plans because Snow White's Scary Adventure was going away.

Safe travels to anyone trying to travel through the snow and good luck to anybody trying to travel at the end of the school year!

I know the school my mom teaches at has built in snow days so they rarely have to make up days.
I wish that with how advanced technology is these days, there would be a way to make up snow days online. I know my little sister in high school uses something called "wikispaces?" a lot for projects and in college, participating in online discussions before class is often mandatory and graded. For younger kids, I feel like there are a lot of interactive activities online that would be great supplements to their education. Or even if every student received a snow day packet just in case. Computer activities would even allow students to log in times and therefore make up hours since that seems to be more important to some district than material anyway.

As a former student in a district that would give two hour delays if somebody dropped an ice cube on a road and would cancel school at the sheer speculation of snow, snow days really bugged me and I feel like making up days at the end of the year is pointless because a lot of my teachers get back on schedule after missed days (it often meant more homework or more expedited lessons) and then we would have empty days at the end of the year because everything went back to normal and our brains shut down on memorial day.

Safe and good travels again! Too bad you can't give the weather a poisoned apple.

ok, not a teacher, but a parent. my boys are adults now. but the 2 times we took them to WDW. we planned the trip for as EARLY in June as possible.

then.. when we had major snow in the winter, i was thinking just like you!! OMG! no snow days.. no snow days!

I feel for you. maybe it will be ok? like, a sub can do those last few extra days (that nobody does anything, anyways???, you know it, we know it, we ALL know it)

I am done with snow already. Can't wait til I can move further south and have at least less of it.

I would LOVE to be getting out mid May, we don't get out til mid June here.

Last week I booked a last minute trip for President's weekend, BECAUSE I am so sick of the snow! Then, I was told that if the kids use their last snow day before 2/21 - they are making that day a school day! I feel like I just can't win! So upset for all of us! Here's hoping we all get to go to Disney - when planned - with no implications!!!

I agree enough snow already!

Our district sets the last day of school due to graduation. We have 3 built in days and if they go -like last year, they take away our Easter break. Last year we did cancel our Disney trip because we had to go to school 2 days over Easter break. We have another trip scheduled this April, I am very worried that since it is only January we are going to end up losing break again.

Especially for teachers, you should not schedule your vacation for too close to the end of the school year. Suggest leaving two weeks as a buffer zone. Finals and wrapup get very hectic.

For ordinary families, missing the makeup days put on top of April school vacation is generally not a big deal. Just be sure the kids are able to, if called upon, to complete all the anticipated and predictable work prior to leaving. (They can get a head start tomorrow, Feb. 1)

Kids can do work on snow days with no packets handed out by teachers and not using any computers let alone wikispaces. Lesson #1. What is the meaning of the word "extrapolate"?

My plans have now been completely changed due to the snow. I am a teacher and we were supposed to get out on May 26th. I had our trip scheduled for May 28th, but we've had three snow days with a huge storm scheduled for today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Now I'm looking to change our trip to June 8-15. We won't have the free dining anymore, but we'll have the kids are free promotion. Oh well, you live and learn!

This snow is just killing me!! I'm a teacher...and right now we're scheduled to get out May 27th (we've already used 2 snow days). I have our trip booked for June 1-8. We can use two more snow days and still get out ok to fit our plans.

Now they're calling for this HUGE snowstorm to come through. I haven't booked plane in case something happens.

Our district will not use more than 5 days...if we use the remaining 3 snow days...that puts our institute on June 1 and one hour report card day June 2. I'm thinking of just booking and if we take 3 more days...to use my personal days on those 2 days. There's nothing in our contract that doesn't say we can't take those off....and if I have everything turned in, etc...I don't see why it can't be a problem.

I just HATE the now knowing! I hate not being able to say, "We're leaving June 1st for Disney for 7 days!!"

Anyone else going through the same thing?!?!!?

If not...thanks for listening!!

I'm also a teacher. Today is our 9th snow day. However I'm in MO, just 20 miles south of St. Louis. We are booked from June 2-11. Our saving grace is after we make up the first 6 snow days, we make up only 1 day for each 2 missed. It is Senate Bill 64 in MO. I think due to this bill, we will still be ok.

Our last day way originally May 13th.

Good luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter