Snow and ice headed for Georgia

Sure hope we don't have to make it up in Gwinnett County like they do the other days.

My husband said he's going to pack a bag in anticipation of just staying at work tomorrow night with pillow, blanket, change of clothes. He's a member of their Health club so he can shower there.
I told him to grab a few granola bars too just in case the cafeteria closes down.

This type of weather is just wrong for Georgia. Yuck.

Cobb County schools are closed through Wednesday. I'm glad of it. We had a bunch of kids who ended up sleeping at school and on school buses two weeks ago because our pig-headed Superintendent waited too late to call off schools. :mad:

Is it any wonder NY makes fun of us?

I love this one from Birmingham :lmao:

cfb3b7d76501ddefcd4e0f26b2f94351_zpsde5ea7af.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a question for those that run out to buy food before a storm to get prepared. I have to know what we're you going to eat if their wasn't a storm forecast. Do some people go to the grocery store every day to buy that nights dinner?

I have a question for those that run out to buy food before a storm to get prepared. I have to know what we're you going to eat if their wasn't a storm forecast. Do some people go to the grocery store every day to buy that nights dinner?

Honestly? Almost. I am at the store 3-4 times a week. I know I could do better with some better meal planning, but I tend to shop the sales at our two main stores (one ad comes out on Sun, the other on Wed). I usually forget something, or need more produce/bread/milk (things I don't "stock up" on) at some point in the week.

Plus, I need ALL meals and snacks, when DH usually eats out for lunch and gets snacks at work. And something about snow days make me want to bake, so I get those supplies. So maybe we wouldn't starve without that last pre-snow run... But we are much happier at home for days if we have our favorites, plus a few treats!

Cobb County schools are closed through Wednesday. I'm glad of it. We had a bunch of kids who ended up sleeping at school and on school buses two weeks ago because our pig-headed Superintendent waited too late to call off schools. :mad:

Is it any wonder NY makes fun of us?

Atlanta Public Schools, Dekalb County and Decatur City schools are all closed as well. My girls go to private schools and both of their schools are open today. Most of the Atlanta private schools seem to be open. It looks like the ice is supposed to hold off until tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Between my DH and me, we probably stop at the grocery store 4-5 times a week. I drive by three grocery stores between work and home (a mere 12 minute drive), and DH's office downtown is a three-minute walk to the grocery store, so we don;t have to really go out of our way. He usually makes one or two stops at the store on his lunch hour during the week for meals and snacks, and I'll usually stop at the store for produce or anything I might have forgotten during my weekly "big" shopping trip.

While we might spend a little more doing it that way instead of just one weekly trip for all our food needs, we've found that we have less wasted food this way. It works for us.

I will make the "milk and bread" trip today before hunkering down in the house for 48 hours or so.

I would very much like to go to Georgia someday, but it would really suck to go somewhere and find the same crappy winter conditions that I'm desperate to leave behind!

We're supposed to get another storm this weekend. Seems like there is a storm here nearly every other week this winter. First one hit Nov 26th and it's just been nonstop since. I am so tired of leaving the house clean and coming to work to find I've got salt and slush all over my clothes. I can't take it anymore.

Cute!!! We're looking at a Winter Storm Watch right now here in SWVA: 5-8 inches.

Dear OP: I think it's awful how employers require their essential employees to stay and stay with no accommodations. I hate that for you. Glad you're prepared this time.

Thanks for that! We set up air mattresses last time and were told its a fire hazard. This time we are going to find a different spot to set up secret camp! If we have to be stuck, we are making the best of it.

This was brilliant! He called it evil Conneticut dandruff or something like that! :rotfl:

Devil's dandruff, Conneticut confetti, New England Clam Powder, New Hampshire cocaine, the president's white friend.

The white Es ca lade, :rotfl2:. He went to the safest place he knew: The interstate:rotfl2:

He was rescued by the sun

I'm from the South and I was like this:rotfl2:

Most of what I eat is refrigerated - chicken and spinach and such - or food that needs to be cooked, like pasta. I made the trip to Kroger last night to get peanut butter, bread, pretzels, and granola bars in case the power goes out (I'm in college and live in an apartment where we aren't allowed to have grills/camp stoves/anything, period).

For those of you who can't find ice melt, you may be able to find something called CALCIUM CHLORIDE - here is a writeup but be careful if using on concrete ...

Calcium chloride works at very low temperatures and isn't as damaging to the soil and vegetation as sodium chloride, though it costs a bit more and may damage concrete. Calcium chloride attracts moisture, so it won't keep surfaces as dry as many other products. On the other hand, attracting moisture can be a good quality since calcium chloride releases heat when it reacts with water, so it can melt snow and ice on contact. All deicers must be in solution (liquid) in order to start working; calcium chloride can attract its own solvent. Magnesium chloride can do this too, though it isn't used as commonly as a deicer.

I would very much like to go to Georgia someday, but it would really suck to go somewhere and find the same crappy winter conditions that I'm desperate to leave behind!

We're supposed to get another storm this weekend. Seems like there is a storm here nearly every other week this winter. First one hit Nov 26th and it's just been nonstop since. I am so tired of leaving the house clean and coming to work to find I've got salt and slush all over my clothes. I can't take it anymore.

Oh, come on down! Georgia is a great place for a vacation. This winter has not been typical for us. Heck, just last week it was in the upper 60s and we were all walking around in flip-flops and t-shirts.

Our heating bills are waaaaay less than what people up north are paying. We don't own or need heavy coats; we just layer up and peel off when the sun warms up. We don't own snow shovels. Our plastic sleds are hanging up in the basement in near-mint condition because they've only been used about 20 days in the past 25 years.

We went to both Home Depot and Lowes over the weekend and they were already out of ice melt. Dang! We have a steep driveway that doesn't get much sun, so we are always slow to thaw out.
More important, are they all stocked up with cots, blankets, and pillows? :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter