Snorkling and Glasses?

DizneyDogs

DIS Veteran
I have never been snorkling but thinking of doing it on my 7 day Western cruise. My question is I wear glasses and I am blind without them for those of you that wear glasses do you just wear them underneath the goggles or go without?

Others have purchased prescription masks. I have not tried wearing glasses with the masks but I definately would find that uncomfortable.

Scratch
pirate:

My husband and I are both pretty blind without our glasses, but because we snorkel alot, we had masks made with our prescription in them. (At a local dive shop). It was pretty expensive, but ours are also pretty fancy. You may be able to get them done for $125, give or take a little. The only other choice, as far as I know, is to go without. Except, there was a thread quite a while ago where one cruiser managed to glue some goggles to an old pair of glasses. Don't know how well this would work.
Anyone else have any ideas? Used pair for sale on E-Bay??

You cannot wear glasses under a mask. You need to have a good seal all the way around your face or water will come in. The arms of the glasses will prevent any kind of water tightness and you'll have nothing but a flood in your face. Sorry, but it can't be done. My husband (pre-lasik) wore disposable contacts as well and had no problem. Just be sure to take a couple pair along just incase you lose one-or two.

mrsfuzzmo

My mom is near-sighted and cannot see at all without her glasses. She bought a mask for near-sighted people (at Big 5 sporting goods) for about $60. It worked very well and she could see everything.

My DD is 10 and has -4.00 spherical eyesight in both eyes. I priced masks at a dive shop and it was $160.00... snorklemart.com had prescription masks that fit any prescription(no astigmatism) for about $60-70.00. I ended up getting a mask from Gaylans sporting goods store for $57.00, they had Body Glove prescription masks in weak, medium and strong. The medium worked great for my daughter, and while it was a notch below the dive shop quality it was a very nice mask.

One tip- the water magnifies things so if you get prefitted masks round down to the weaker prescription if your prescription falls in between two choices.

Dave

I consider myself to be pretty blind (basically anything more than 20" away is blurry). I booked stingray city w/ snorkling expecting that I wouldn't see anything, but did it mainly for the kids. I was very surprised that I was able to enjoy the snorkling even without a prescription mask. No, things weren't crystal clear, but I could see the fish. Just my experience, but I felt like I got my money's worth out of snorkling, even without a prescription mask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter