Snorkle Gear

DisneyBaby2004

DIS Veteran
We are purchasing gear for our upcoming cruise. Like everything else there are a million and one different brands. We are looking to get a reasonable set (under $50) for once a year use. Need the best quality – not the cheapest. Target has US divers for $35 but based on reviews that seems to be a cheap brand. Any recommendations? Thanks!!!

We went to a dive shop, as much for information as for the gear. We lucked into a midwinter sale and paid about $25 for kid sized stuff, about $65 for mine (all on sale). I was happy that we could try on the fins first, knew all fit correctly, etc.

Not sure what review you read about U.S. Divers brand but I bought a set from LL Bean last year and took on our cruise and loved it. I also brought it to Cabo on a trip and used it extensively there.

It comes with its own carrying case which I like.

Here is a link....

http://reviews.llbean.com/1138/42791/reviews.htm

MJ

Definitely do what kcashner said - go to a dive shop. They're best suited to help you get the right snorkel gear with regard to quality and proper fit, and it really won't cost much more than a set you'd by at target.

If you're going on a Western Caribb cruise, please take a look at my post:
Great Snorkeling on a Dime on the Disney Magic (Western Caribbean)

I third the recommendation. Dive shop staff can help you to make sure a mask properly fits so it doesn't leak while still being comfortable. The cheapest fins and snorkel will probably suffice, but get something decent for a mask.

Sam's club sells some terific body glove sets. I think $27 kids $39 adults.

The tour guides are always asking if they can buy them from us since the are great quality.
especailly the kids.

I have been scuba diving for over 25 years and when it came time to buy my Daughter and wife some gear I went back to the local dive shop and was able to get them fixed up with GOOD stuff for under $75. I can tell you that body glove and us diver are cheap crap that will not last. Spend just a little more for stuff that will last years.

Rob

We have body gloves sets from costco and they work fantasic for the few times a year we use them and they have lasted just fine.

Costco! My wife and I got a fantastic set for 40 bucks a pop. I am in So Cal but I see them every spring. You might check costco.com or target.com

I just ordered snorkel gear from 101snorkel.
They have a wide range of products! Since it is my dd5 and my DS11 first time doing real snorkeling, I wanted to make sure they had "dry snorkels"
( don't let water in) They had kid size, junior size, then bought two adult sets, all came with bags ( Gatorpacs) and I bought two additional 100% dry snorkels for DS & DH. They shipped within days of my order and it was free shipping! I'm very happy with the quality and the pricing was reasonable.

I plan on buying a few sets I found at Wal-Mart (here in FL). For $20 you get a dry snorkel, fins and a mask and they have them in several different sizes. It's not something we'll use often if ever again, so the cheaper the better. However, buying them is costing me MORE than just paying for the snorkeling excursion, something I was trying to avoid. lol

That stuff you put on the mask to prevent fogging of glass lenses is a good investment.

We snorkeled in Cozumel and at CC on our 7 nite western cruise.

At the end of the season here in NJ we found some masks and snorkles marked way down (75- 90% off). We snagged those and had three sets for less than $25. We didn't bother with trying to buy fins because of luggage restriction issues

Our excursion in Cozumel included equipment so we got the free use of their fins with our masks and snorkles from home.

At CC we just had to rent fins (it was like $11 or something).

So it worked out fine for us for less than the cost of one complete rental at CC, we had our own masks and snorkels from home with the fin rental at CC included in our cost. We saved $$ and didn't have to use a public snorkle (yuk). Of course it was not high quality equipment, but our masks didn't leak and we had fun the two times we used them on the trip as "social" snorklers.

I would recommend this approach if you have young children who want to give it a try and don't want to spend a fortune in snorkle gear rentals.

We always pack our own snorkel equipment on vacation. We always go to a local dive shop to purchase it. They will likely sell a range of different price point products, including some US Diver equipment. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with US Diver equipment if it fits properly (esp. for once a year useage). One thing about buying each piece separately at a dive shop (rather than in an all in one kit) is that you can try the masks on to be sure you get a proper fit (seal). Different masks fit different profile faces (ie thin, skinny vs chubby & round). You can also buy a mask that is rated for different depths, in case you think you would ever want to scuba dive. You probably could not take a $25 mask from Walmart down past probably 20-30 feet. Diving masks will be rated for a deeper depth just like a watch or a camera and will probably be on the higher end of the price spectrum.

I use an RX mask so I am limited to the ones that my shop carries that they can fit with an RX lens. It doesn't have to be as precise as my regular eyeglass RX so I don't go getting new lenses each time I get a new RX. I am on my 2nd RX mask (the first one got a chip on a lens corner and started leaking). The "dry snorkels" are quite a nice idea, especially for kids. Sometimes you can find adustable fins for kids too so that you can let the straps out for them as they grow. (DS now uses fins with his swim club so another spot to look for those is at a team swimwear apparel store.) Oh, and yes, get a small bottle of the anti-fog spray. Spit works too in the interim if you need, but this stuff is good for your initial jump in. Not quite as gross as the spitting.

Just bought mine at target with a mask and a tube for $9.99 they come in purple blue and green. They are made by Speedo so we are going to try them on our cruise in 2 weeks! We aren't professionals so I didn't want to spend too much money since they will only be used 2-3 times a year.

WE bought the ones from BJ's and they worked great. We too only use them once a year, so we didn't want to make a huge investment. For a round $30 had the mask, snorkel, fins and a nice bag to carry them in.

We went on a Royal Caribbean cruise several years ago and they had RX snorkel masks to rent, which my hubby loved -- does Disney have those? We have one son who wears contacts, so that's ok, but other son and hubby would need RX masks (assuming nothing fits over glasses). I have no intention of snorkeling, so we don't have to worry about my horrible eyes...

Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter