• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

snorkle equipment

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
I've read that you should bring your own snorkle equipment to save on rental fees, so I started looking into buying my own.
What exactly do I need? I looked on ebay for ideas, and there were simple water tubes and goggles for $9.99. But then there were sets for $69.99. My family and I don't want to be professional snorklers, just have some first-time fun. Can anyone advise me on what to buy? And do we need flippers? I've looked through online snorkling photos, but none of the snorklers feet are showing! Please help! Thanks!

Rental fees are minimal..and if you are doing an excursion..the equipment is usually included in the fee. If you just want some first time fun..I would rent the equipment.

A decent set of fins, mask and snorkel can be purchased at Walmart or Target in Florida for less then $30. If you don't want to risk the wait, you could risk the mail-order.

The fit of the mask is more critical (leaks / comfort) than the fit of fins. I would try on before buying for this reason. You could just rent fins on CC (bringing your own mask and snorkel). The savings can be measured by how much you plan to use the equipment.

we bought the mask and snorkel set at walmart for $8 and rented the fins at CC for $9. the cost of renting all three at CC is $25. on our snorkel excursion at St Thomas they included their equipment for free. walmart mask did fine for us and with it being the end of summer their masks may be on clearance.

We bought ours at walmart for $15. They worked great. We didn't buy the flippers, but my DH said he wishes he had. I like the fact that I know my mouth has been the only one on the mouth peice. When you rent one who knows! I know they sanitize them but I'm still alittle funny that way.

We brought our own sets along and we did use the flippers--it really helped. We packed a set of flippers in the bottom of each suitcase and it really didn't take up too much room. It was nice to know, as another poster said, that my mouth was the only one on the mouthpiece. also, the masks conform to your face so you get a good fit each time--be sure to mark each facemask with the person's name.

Some of the rental equipment did not look in the best shape. I got mine at Walmart--less than $30 a set. Well worth it!

:sunny:

We bought the inexpensive kind at Walmart. It worked well. Didn't buy fins. They give you vests to wear while snorkeling. These vests keep you afloat and make it easy. Just remember to put lots of lotion on your back while snorkeling. My husband put some on his shoulders but the rest of his back was burnt after two hours snorkeling.

FYI--The kids' snorkeling sets are marked down to $1 at W/M. I originally bought mine for $5 a piece! But, now that there marked down, I've return the old ones and bought the new marked-down ones!

I haven't checked the adult ones (I'm assuming they're in another isle). Does anyone know where they are and if they are marked down too?

Cruising in 34 days!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter