Snorkeling in the rain

mitsguy2001

DIS Veteran
I plan on going on the snorkeling excursion at Nassau on my upcoming cruise. I have never been snorkeling before, and know nothing about it. If it is raining that day, will the snorkeling still take place? From what I know, it seems to me that since I'll be getting wet anyway, there is no reason not to do it in the rain. Or do they not do it in the rain? Thanks.

I've snorkeled in the rain- no problem. In fact on our Sept Magic cruise there were some afternoon showers on Castaway Cay day while we were out snorkeling. Not a problem. (And this was a cruise that had an itinerary change after leaving port due to a hurricane).

That being said, rain is not the issue. Obviously, lightening would be. But for a beginner snorkeling rougher water due to the weather could be a problem. Too many swells will swamp your snorkel. My DH had this happen on his first snorkel trip in Jamaica and has never felt comfortable snorkeling. The one place he did feel comfortable snorkeling was on a trip to Nassau. It was an excursion to an island (maybe Rose Island, can't remember). Great reefs just off the beach with very calm waters. :sunny:

On one occasion, we were snorkeling at Castaway Cay and a lightning storm came in. The life guards required everyone to come to shore until the lightning storm passed. Surprisingly, they even told people to not stay under the umbrellas (they act as a lightning rod!?!).

Woody

Rain/Wind also churns up the bottom and makes it murky or just plain harder to see stuff.

It sounds like snorkeling in the rain is doable, but less than ideal. I assume that they do not cancel the snorkeling excursions at Nassau if it is raining. If given the choice between snorkeling in the rain versus no snorkeling at all, which do you recommend? I assume snorkeling in the rain.

We snorkeled in POURING rain on St. Maarten last year, but it was still a wonderful excursion. Visibility was diminshed, no doubt about that. But to answer the question of "Snorkeling in the rain vs. not snorkeling at all"?

Snorkel in the rain. Oh yeah. :thumbsup2

<<"Snorkeling in the rain vs. not snorkeling at all"?>>

Absolutely!!!

Although my goal before our Sept 2007 cruise is to finally take a scuba class and get certified. I've always wanted to do it, and realize at 46 I'm not getting any younger..........

Same here, Kimika!!

I have ALWAYS wanted to scuba, but never found the time to become certified.

I am often called certifiable... :crazy:

but never certified. ;)

woody73 said:
On one occasion, we were snorkeling at Castaway Cay and a lightning storm came in. The life guards required everyone to come to shore until the lightning storm passed. Surprisingly, they even told people to not stay under the umbrellas (they act as a lightning rod!?!).

Woody
The umbrella polls are metal so they would attract lightning and that's not safe!!

Snorkeling in the rain is not a problem. Like others have said if the water gets rough it makes it a little more dificult and depending upon the swells - can make you motion sick (this is not much of an issue at Castaway Cay). If it gets rough then visibility usually drops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter