Snorkeling in Castaway Cay

Egghead

Earning My Ears
First time poster! I'm very impressed with how helpful folks are here, so thought I'd run a couple of questions past you all:

We're going on a 3-night cruise on the Dream starting on April 1. We've never been on a cruise of any kind. I've reserved snorkeling equipment for our day on Castaway Cay based on advice I saw elsewhere on the internet (don't remember where). But is it warm enough yet? And how much time should I set aside for my family to snorkel (we've never gone snorkeling before)?

I would also like to fit in time at Serenity Bay. My wife and I could really use some relaxation. Our 18yo son may join us, or explore the island. So our 8yo daughter and 11yo son will need to be checked into the kids club for that portion of the day. Maybe our best bet is to check them in immediately, spend time in Serenity, then check them out for lunch, and then snorkel?

Any help would be much appreciated!

First time poster! I'm very impressed with how helpful folks are here, so thought I'd run a couple of questions past you all:

We're going on a 3-night cruise on the Dream starting on April 1. We've never been on a cruise of any kind. I've reserved snorkeling equipment for our day on Castaway Cay based on advice I saw elsewhere on the internet (don't remember where). But is it warm enough yet? And how much time should I set aside for my family to snorkel (we've never gone snorkeling before)?

I would also like to fit in time at Serenity Bay. My wife and I could really use some relaxation. Our 18yo son may join us, or explore the island. So our 8yo daughter and 11yo son will need to be checked into the kids club for that portion of the day. Maybe our best bet is to check them in immediately, spend time in Serenity, then check them out for lunch, and then snorkel?

Couple of things - snorkeling is better early, as the sand hasn't been stirred up as much and you can see things better. I'd suggest snorkeling first, spend some time on the family beach with the kids (Pelican Plunge is there) then do lunch, and then send the younger ones to the kid's club (located on the island, not back on the ship) while you head over to Serenity Bay.

Couple of things - snorkeling is better early, as the sand hasn't been stirred up as much and you can see things better. I'd suggest snorkeling first, spend some time on the family beach with the kids (Pelican Plunge is there) then do lunch, and then send the younger ones to the kid's club (located on the island, not back on the ship) while you head over to Serenity Bay.
Thanks for the input! Yes, I heard that the water gets less clear after all the kids jump in. But will the water be warm enough on an early April morning?

Thanks for the input! Yes, I heard that the water gets less clear after all the kids jump in. But will the water be warm enough on an early April morning?
Well, looking back at last April the temperature was in the low to mid 80s. Does that help? I don't know how the air temperature translates to water temperature, sorry.

if the water is warm enuf for you depends a lot on where you are from

right now the surf temp in Cocoa Beach is running around 72; in Ft Lauderdale it is 77. For locals that's ice water but I have family coming from Minnisota next week and they are excited to hear the water is so warm as lakes by them don't get that warm in mid summer! CC is just about as far north as Lauderdale BUT the Gulf Stream, which is warm, passes close to Lauderdale and not so CC.

Yes, getting in early is typically the best way to see "stuff" as once others kick up the bottom the visibility goes down and the critters hide.

how much time for snorkeling? How good of a swimmer are you and how comfortable in the water? A "good" snorkeler will go for hours as they use very little energy paddling about .... a "thrasher" gets tired fast. If you have never done it b4, I suspect an hour or so is gonna be plenty (if the water is warm enuf) and you may loose interest cuz the "good stuff" is a bit of a swim from shore . . . . you may never get there.

do you know where CC is? A surface temp map for today (color scale .. red is warmer)

Last edited:
Heads up.. Snorkeling on CC was hard for my kids who are good swimmers. U have to swim a bit to see the ship and statues.
We did the family beach and lunch first. Then we dropped the kids off at the club, took the shuttle to Serenity.

We just got back from our cruise and the water at Castaway Cay was chilly. It wasn't too bad however and we were in it all day.

About water temperature- we were on Castaway Cay about a week ago. It was plenty warm to lay on the beach. The water was cold when you first got in, but very nice after a minute. We are from Georgia so we are wimps when it comes to cold. I think you will be fine! Have fun!

Heads up.. Snorkeling on CC was hard for my kids who are good swimmers. U have to swim a bit to see the ship and statues.
We did the family beach and lunch first. Then we dropped the kids off at the club, took the shuttle to Serenity.
What made it hard for them? Just lack of familiarity with snorkeling?

if the water is warm enuf for you depends a lot on where you are from

right now the surf temp in Cocoa Beach is running around 72; in Ft Lauderdale it is 77. For locals that's ice water but I have family coming from Minnisota next week and they are excited to hear the water is so warm as lakes by them don't get that warm in mid summer! CC is just about as far north as Lauderdale BUT the Gulf Stream, which is warm, passes close to Lauderdale and not so CC.

Yes, getting in early is typically the best way to see "stuff" as once others kick up the bottom the visibility goes down and the critters hide.

how much time for snorkeling? How good of a swimmer are you and how comfortable in the water? A "good" snorkeler will go for hours as they use very little energy paddling about .... a "thrasher" gets tired fast. If you have never done it b4, I suspect an hour or so is gonna be plenty (if the water is warm enuf) and you may loose interest cuz the "good stuff" is a bit of a swim from shore . . . . you may never get there.

do you know where CC is? A surface temp map for today (color scale .. red is warmer)
Very well put. The coldest recorded water temperature in the region of Castaway Cay is 72. That's what my gym heats the outdoor pool to in the winter, and it is always packed, so my guess 72 is warm enough. The kids next door went swimming in their unheated pool in January when the water was 55 and survived.

I haven't been there in April but I have snorkeled there in May and last December. I have only snorkeled on Serenity Bay and the tide really dictates when it is good there because it is shallow. There is a lot to be seen there, Starfish, Stingrays, Conchs, Sandollars and fish.

You are going to care a LOT more about the air temp than the water temp at Castaway Cay. On a not-so-breezy, sunny day in the mid 80s, the water will feel great even at its coldest. On a breezy, cloudy day, esp a cool one, no water temp is warm enough.

The snorkeling area is pretty vanilla for at least 100 yards off of the beach. You've got to swim that far before you get into the more interesting structures, fish and so forth. Hence the earlier comment that people can get tired out (this is especially true if the tide is pouring in, making the swim a touch harder). If you have any weaker swimmers in your group, have them inflate their vest (everyone who snorkels is required to wear a vest. You don't have to inflate but you do have to wear).

Generally agree with earlier comment that earlier is better all else equal...it can get crowded and stirred up esp. in more shallow areas.

So I'd recommend going to snorkel first, do other activities like slides, etc. Do stingrays too if you want, then lunch, then drop kids at club and go to serenity.

Have a blast! CC is dreamy when the weather's right and you can dock there!

Well, looking back at last April the temperature was in the low to mid 80s. Does that help? I don't know how the air temperature translates to water temperature, sorry.
I vote for buying relatively inexpensive wet suits. The youngest ones may be fine. But in my opinion the water is very cold at that time.
Had to edit- I'm a former south Floridian.. So my idea of "very cold" may be different than others..

So, now I have a follow-up question.

Is there any benefit to reserving the snorkeling gear ahead of time? Or would I be better off just waiting until we get there, and then gauging the kids' level of interest? They may say the water is too cold. They may be too intrigued with other things on the island, since we've never been before. Or they may not all want to go at the same time, and then we wouldn't have any reason to rent 5 sets (we could get away with maybe 3 instead).

So, now I have a follow-up question.

Is there any benefit to reserving the snorkeling gear ahead of time? Or would I be better off just waiting until we get there, and then gauging the kids' level of interest? They may say the water is too cold. They may be too intrigued with other things on the island, since we've never been before. Or they may not all want to go at the same time, and then we wouldn't have any reason to rent 5 sets (we could get away with maybe 3 instead).

I have snorkeled there probably 4 times so far and never had a problem with getting gear. We do get off the ship early though. There was one occasion that the water felt a little colder than I wanted to swim in but there were a few others swimming. I would say wait because of the cost if some decided they would prefer the other activities. But here are the walk up prices.

Last edited:
I snorkeled on Castaway Cay on March 9 (this year). I'm not going to lie, the water was cold. When the first splash hit my back I squealed. However, I quickly got used to it (I'm from Arizona, I don't 'do' cold well) and my daughter and I made it all the way out to the snorkel site and had fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter