Snorkeling equipment

decolady

Mouseketeer
Okay, I don't know if I should buy snorkeling equipment at home to bring or plan on renting it. I know you can rent equipment at CC, but what about at Chankanaab Nat. Park? Can you rent equipment there or do you have to bring your own? Can you rent the equipment on the ship to take to the park? I really don't want to take up the space in my suitcase with equipment.

Thanks for any info!:earsgirl:

DCL doesn't rent equipment off of the ship. However, we visited Chankanaab in August and they were renting all kinds of equipment at the park. Googles, flippers, snorkle, rafts, etc.

I think they rented them by the individual piece and not a set. For example, $6 for the flippers, $4 for mask, etc.

When we went to Chankannab last time some friends of ours rented snorkel equipment and it leaked like a faucet. I would suggest getting your own to take with you. Also the "sanitation" method of some of these places is to dump the snorkel mouth piece into ocean water for about 20-30 seconds, then rinse off and dry and give out again. Thinking about someone else's mouth on the snorkel and not being sanitized was enough to gross me out! We take our snorkel equipment in our luggage along with some scuba equipment and it doesnt take up that much room. If you rent beware that the masks may indeed leak on you and your time snorkeling will be ruined if you cant see. I dont know if you can rent mask and snorkel from Dis to go to Chankannab unless you take one of their tours. I did read on a website that there is a dive shop and equipment rental just off shore. In fact here is the article

Completely rebuilt and restored in1996, this beachfront park, just 9 km south of San Miguel, offers diverse attractions in a lovely setting. The main beach is studded with palapas for sunbathers, while just off shore there's outstanding diving and snorkeling (equipment rental and dive shop available). Back from shore is a fascinating Archaeological Park, complete with winding jungle trails, replicas from sites throughout Mexico, a typical Mayan village, and free guided tours. There's also an excellent Botanical Garden with over 300 plant species from 22 countries. Topping things off is the site's beautiful lagoon - a sinkhole filled from the sea by underground tunnels. There are several shops, snack bars, a restaurant, and a Mayan Museum. Open Daily. Admission is $10 (US) and children are free.

and the link: http://www.cozguide.net/chankan.html

but if it were me I would buy them from home and use them. Especially if you plan on snorkeling on other trips...after a couple of uses you have paid for them AND you know that the mask fits and they havent been in someone else's mouth!

Heidi

Also, if you are interested in snorkeling at Grand Cayman, not far (within walking distance) from the tender dock is a place called Eden Rock. There's a dive shop where you can rent snorkel equipment and snorkel just off shore there.

If you are contemplating the purchase of snorkeling equipment, here's a copy of some information I recently posted in a different thread.

1. Do you want to put a snorkel in your mouth that a hundred other people have had in their mouth (even if it has been cleaned)? If you try to purchase and take your own snorkel, only your mouth will have been on it, and you can get snorkels designed for each member of you family. As an example, when my wife and I went to buy snorkels, she had never snorkeled and didn't regularly swim with her head below water. We purchased a "DRY" snorkel for her (if the tip goes under water for a moment, a valve closes so water can not run down the tube). Additionally, purchasing snorkels ahead of time will allow the family to get used to using them in a swimming pool before going out in the Ocean. Good snorkels will run you about $20-40 each.

2. Masks can be difficult to get fitting just right without unreasonable leakage. Different masks will fit different people in different ways. If you buy your own masks from a local dive site, you'll get professional help in getting a mask to fit your face that will be comfortable and will not leak (and you'll have it sized for your face before you leave home). However, decent masks will run you about $30-50 each.

3. Like masks, finding fins that fit your feet just right can be difficult. Its nice to not have to dig through the fins supplied on board to find a pair that fit. However, a decent pair of fins will run about $40-70 a pair.

4. To have a complete set of snorkel gear, you have to have the snorkel vest. It's sort of like a light-weigh inflatable life vest. Its purpose is to allow you to inflate it so that if you have something to help float if you start to get in trouble (swallow some water) or get tired. Disney requires them when snorkelling in their snorkel lagoon on Castaway Cay. A vest will run you about $50-75 each.

It is possible to find some of this gear cheaper if rather than going to a Dive store you try a sporting good store. Then you can get masks and snorkels for about $10-$25 each and fins about $20-30 each pair. But the quality will not be as good (fins might be easier to fall of, masks more likely to leak), and it will most likely not have the opportunity to try out different masks to see what fits your face the best.

What we did (of course there were only 2 of us) was to purchase quality masks fitted to our face and quality snorkels for our first trip. The next time we when on a trip, we purchased the fins. Finally, before our third trip, we spent the money on vest. Now we have our own set of snorkel gear (at a total cost of about $300 to $350 per person).

Perhaps what you might want to try is getting the cheaper mask and snorkel from a sporting goods store for the kids (they eventually out grow it and need more) and perhaps spend a little extra for the adults. Then you'll have the basics to practice snorkelling in a local swimming pool. You can then use just the fins and vests from the snorkel tour boat this year. If you got back in the future, then start looking into the other pieces of gear.

We bought our snorkel sets from sams club $48 for the adult sets the fins were included, the brand i believe is Body Glove....they come with a back pack type carry case...we just carried them on our backs on & off the ship instead of packing them. They are nice sets and like others have said we know they were not in a hundred peoples mouths.

There was 3 of us & nobody had a problem with anything leaking or not fitting properly....they also have the purge valve think that is what it is called, so you can dive under without any water getting in your snorkel. :)

I bought a set (Mask, Snorkle, Fins) at CostCo in the spring. Sorry I can't remember how much or what brand, but I'm sure it was less then $50. I wanted to wait, but the wife made me get them when we saw them. It is one of the best sets I have ever owned. It certainly isn't a custom fit dive shop set, but considering how much I snorkle its good enough. I made sure to try it out in a pool and it works great. I just can't stand the concept of sticking a snorkle in my mouth that has been used by anyone else let alone hundreds of anyone elses. Its a soft porus plastic used in a snorkle mouth peice and I just don't see how they can be sanatized correctly. I brought a different set when we did the 4 day a couple of years ago and there was either no fee or a very small fee for the vest rental at Castaway key. The vest is required at Castaway key whenever you have a mask on your face and are in the water, even when you are not on the snorkle trail.

Most of the Snorkle Excursions include rental as part for the price, but if I could do them this trip I'd still bring my own gear. Unfortuanatly the wife doesn't snorkle and the DS (7) isn't a strong enough swimmer yet to be taught, maybe next trip. Luckily for me I can afford the room in my suitcase for snorkle gear. The same could not be said for the wife. :rolleyes:

Thank you all so much for the great info. I do like the idea of getting some inexpensive gear here at home, but I don't know if I will be able to find it before March up here in PA! Wish I had thought about this before.

Thanks again to you all!!!:earsgirl:

Mask ans snorkel would be fine. They are the key components. You don't really need flippers, or could rent them if need be.

Are you spending any time in Florida before the Cruise? Its Florida, its warm all year. If you hit a Florida Walmart or Sporting Goods store they should have Snorkeling gear year round.

Last week I got masks and snorkels on clearance at Wal-mart. Kids were $1.50 and adults were $2.50. Now, they may leak, but at least I'm not out much $$$

Originally posted by LostBoyinVA
Are you spending any time in Florida before the Cruise? Its Florida, its warm all year. If you hit a Florida Walmart or Sporting Goods store they should have Snorkeling gear year round.

Warm all year?! Maybe in Key West but not here in Central Florida! Sometimes we get down into the 40's!!!! (Yikes!)

The chain stores in this area really won't carry beach stuff all year. They usually start displaying that stuff in Feb. and keep it in stock through late August or early October. At the end of the season they mark it all down to make room for Halloween and Christmas merchandise.

The smaller beach stores (as in, on-the-beach) will probably have a lot in the way of beach equipment throughout the year though. They will be expensive though!

There are plenty of catalog/mail order places you should be able to get equipment year round.

I've usedCampMor over the years (they are mostly camping equipment, but I know they have a small section on water sports and have specifically seen snorkeling equipement) and I'm sure there are others.

Thank you for the link, HooKooDooKu. I have not been real successful finding gear off-season. But, I was able to get reasonably priced snorkel gear here with no problem! I appreciate the info.

Dean

SW... You mentioned carrying your equipment on your back, like a backpack... We have the same type of set up and I'm wondering if they count this as part of your carry-on limit? I'm really struggling about our carryons, since we have a diaper bag to contend with too... :rolleyes:

Any advice would be great!

In theory you kids get 2 carry ons even if they aren't carrying them. So the diaperbag is the babies carry on not yours.

I just packed the equipment in the same suit case that carried other misc stuff, such as shoes, laundry supplies, some children's toys, etc. I just try to make sure there is stuff around it so that it's padded a little since luggage will get banged around and never had a problem.

Thanks for the replies! The fact that we can carry our dd's carry-ons is WONDERFUL! That makes my day! Of course, she will want to pull her own suitcase, but maybe I can talk her out of it! I'm guessing that she can also have checked luggage, since she can have carry-ons? She is only 2, but dang, most of the stuff packed seems to be for her! :crazy:

I have a very complicaed opinion about this so I'll break it up a bit.

Fins - I would not buy/bring along fins. Everyplace rents fins only including on Castaway Cay, so no need to schelp the bulky things.

Mask / snorkel. First rule is the simplest, you get what you pay for. If you want to go to Walmart and get the low price ones, go for it. Just don't get your expectations too high. I can tell you from people next to us at CC on the last cruise that they will probably leak and fog up. And that spit in your mask thing only works UNTIL you get seawater in your mouth then you could spit all day and get nothing. Also pay attention to the length of the snorkel- if it don't go above your head by more than 6 inches you might as well throw it away now, or call it a seawater drinking straw. My opinion is to find your local dive shop. They'll sell you a good setup, it will not be the cheapest, but they'll get you set with masks that don't fog, don't leak, fit your face comfortably, and a snorkel that WILL stay free of seawater. They have ones that seal themselves when you dip under.

Excellent points Mark!!! I agree with you 100 percent! Fins are a waste to buy unless you do dive and need good fins otherwise renting them is the best cost efficient way to go!

As for masks buying a cheap one is NOT always the best way to go! Before we snorkeled we bought some cheap Body Glove ones at a outdoor store here and tried them out for a few minutes in a local pool when we took our kids. They seemed to be fine but for some reason once we got out in the ocean snorkeling the things were terrible! We came home and bought a great mask and snorkel set at our local dive shop and paid about 70 dollars but we have had them for almost 3 years and numerous snorkel and dive trips and still havent had any problems. Surprisingly our straps havent even broke yet!

Another thing is maintenance. Start your maintenance with a thorough soaking in fresh water after every dive/snorkel trip. If you don't, salt crystals will dry and harden causing metal parts to weaken and rust; straps and fabrics will stiffen and crack. The crystals, along with sand, act like an abrasive causing scratches and holes in equipment. Keep it away from light, heat and fumes. Dont put heavy things on top of them even though they look sturdy they arent.

Just a few more tips!
Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter