Snorkeling and eyeglasses

LAWalz23

DIS Veteran
I have never snorkeled before and would like to try it on Castaway Cay. My niece and nephew would also like to try it. My issue is we all wear glasses fulltime (very strong prescriptions). Do we have to go without our eyeglasses, in which case none of us can see clearly for more than few feet? Will the masks fit over eyeglasses? Are there prescription masks, I know about prescription googles, how much do they cost? Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Best thing to do would be to contact a local dive shop to where you live and ask them for options. It would be kind of difficult to deal with eye glasses under a snorkel mask. But I'm sure a local reputable dive shop would have some good solutions.

I am personally Mrs. Magoo without my glasses on, but I have snorkeled several times without them. You would not be able to wear your glasses with the mask because you would not be able to get a tight seal to your face and then the mask would leak. However, I have never had a hard time seeing when I have snorkeled. It will be blurry until I put my face in the water and then I can see quite well. I am always surprised at how well actually. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure how well you can see is to try it yourself. The suggestion of contacting a dive store is a good idea, but I would doubt that prescription masks would be inexpensive. Good luck!

You really can't wear the glasses under the snorkel mask because water would leak in and your glasses wouldn't work. If you swim with just your glasses, everything underwater will be blurry.

If you can see reasonably well with non-prescription goggles underwater, you should be able to see reasonably well with the non-prescription snorkel mask underwater. If you cannot see reasonably well with non-prescription goggles under water, you won't be able to see well enough with the non-prescription mask.

This all has to do with the physics of optics and how light is bent differently in different substances, but I'll spare you the science lesson.

There are prescription snorkel masks, but they are rather pricey. Two options I've read about here, but have not tried are: take old prescription lenses and glue them onto a snorkel mask, or buy prescription swim goggles (about $20) and use those instead of a mask.

I just want to second the comment about seeing amazingly well underwater with DCL's standard rental mask. I did not want to snorkel with my daughter as i had forgotten my contacts and I am cam make out shapes but not identify a person without my glasses. Due to circumstances, I was drafted into snorkeling with my DD and I was pleasantly surprised at how well I could see underwater. If you can try it in a local pool, buy a mask and see what you can see in the pool. By the way, the snorkeling was really relaxing and enjoyable at Castaway Cay and I am really glad I got drafted, as it was quite beautiful and interesting.

Hi there!

Upon advice from members on this board we purchased the TUSA Liberator mask with the optical lenses.

Go here to look at the various masks with optical lenses:scuba.com/scuba-gear-53/Masks-Masks-w--Optical-Lenses.html (place www in front of this link)

I'll try to find the posts that we looked at prior to our purchase.

The TUSA liberator mask was super comfortable and the lenses were well worth the money.

We had snorkeled a couple of times prior to purchaing the mask with the optical lenses-now we prefer not to snorkel without them.

You really can't wear the glasses under the snorkel mask because water would leak in and your glasses wouldn't work. If you swim with just your glasses, everything underwater will be blurry.

If you can see reasonably well with non-prescription goggles underwater, you should be able to see reasonably well with the non-prescription snorkel mask underwater. If you cannot see reasonably well with non-prescription goggles under water, you won't be able to see well enough with the non-prescription mask.

This all has to do with the physics of optics and how light is bent differently in different substances, but I'll spare you the science lesson.

There are prescription snorkel masks, but they are rather pricey. Two options I've read about here, but have not tried are: take old prescription lenses and glue them onto a snorkel mask, or buy prescription swim goggles (about $20) and use those instead of a mask.

Thanks for the info! I know the kids have used non-prescription goggles so I will ask them how they have fared! Also I wasn't aware you could use goggles instead of a mask, that may be the solution we are looking for!

Hi there!

Upon advice from members on this board we purchased the TUSA Liberator mask with the optical lenses.

Go here to look at the various masks with optical lenses:scuba.com/scuba-gear-53/Masks-Masks-w--Optical-Lenses.html (place www in front of this link)

I'll try to find the posts that we looked at prior to our purchase.

The TUSA liberator mask was super comfortable and the lenses were well worth the money.

We had snorkeled a couple of times prior to purchaing the mask with the optical lenses-now we prefer not to snorkel without them.

Thanks for the info on the masks, I will definately check it out!!

I mentioned this to my eye doctor, before our last cruise. He gave me three sample pairs of contacts and about 15 minutes of his ***'t. time. I promised not to leave them in as long as a "regular contact" wearer, etc. I think it helped because my husband is a 20+ year contact wearer and he would be there to help me. I followed all the instructions and truely enjoyed a "glasses free" day on Castaway Cay!!

--Just another idea!!

I had this exact same problem! :goodvibes

I'd snorkelled with a few other excursions but their rental gear had prescription masks for rent. However, as you know there aren't any on CC. I'd heard about the goggle solution too but others had said the lenses are so small it really blocks your peripheral vision. :guilty:

So I had to figure out what to do. While it is true that vision is better in the water, it wasn't clear enough for me to feel comfortable/safe in the water. So I looked around on-line and Rx masks were in the $150 range - a bit more than I was hoping to pay. :sad2:

I happened across this amazing site: snorkel-mart.com They had the masks for about $60! I was worried they'd be cheap, etc. but when I looked at their website vs others, theirs was superior in the info it gave in explaining Rx masks, etc. I called to see if I could talk to a live rep and got thru right away. She was VERY helpful and patient and actually suggested I not get some more pricier options I was asking about. :yay:

Short story: I bought the mask and some cases (DH has his own equip and it's always bugged me that his mask didn't have a case), even tho I was concerned the stuff might be lousy quality. The cases and mask arrived promptly, are were of exceptional quality (full silicon seal, etc.) - I tested it at home and everything worked great! I was so happy!! :cool1:

(full disclosure - I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just found them when I was looking for an affordable solution to my problem.) :3dglasses

On the cruise, it was wonderful to not have that stress of knowing that I wouldn't be fully able to see, etc. Even if you don't get anything from Snorkel Mart, take a look at their site under Helpful Info for some education on prescription masks. :thumbsup2

BTW, I had my own snorkel and if you don't have one I'd suggest you get one, even if it just a cheapie thing (like mine). The other places I've rented from let you keep the mouthpiece. DCL doesn't and I think it's revolting, even if they clean it. :scared:

Have a fab trip! :upsidedow

cheers,
:flower3:

I have to have my prescription mask made for me, but my son wears glasses and rather than pay well over $100 like I do for mine, I went to eBay for help. ;) All I needed to know was the (+) number, and they were delivered right away, much cheaper than any place else I'd searched, and they work great for him.

Well, I just checked eBay, and the ones on there now are expensive.

Another good option is to use a Mask Magnifier. They're a thin, flexible plastic, removeable and reusable, that you put on the mask lens inside the mask. I ordered my last goggles with my distance vision and then used the Dive Optx for my (close up) bifocal, so that I can see my camera underwater. I ordered the Dive Optx from Leisure Pro, but I've seen them on Amazon and at scuba.com.

Can you borrow a mask and try seeing how you see in a local pool?
I've VERY nearsighted (anything beyond about 8 inches from my face is out of focus), and see just fine with a mask underwater. Can't see a thing above water though with the mask. In Hawaii they did have the prescription masks available, and it was cleared than without, but not enough for me to justify spending $100 for my own prescription mask.

Well, in my opinion you have 3 options.

1. Snorkel blind
2. Buy rx mask
3. wear contacts....

it isn't fun cause I'm the same way.

I have a prescription snorkel mask, and it was well worth the cost.

Woody

This is what I loved about Discovery Cove -- there was a guy there with prescription masks, and he would look at your glasses and then give you a prescripton mask to try. At no extra charge. :thumbsup2

Would be SO nice if DCL offered that at CC.

I am going to check out the snorkel-mart site noted above and get a prescription mask to bring. I scalloped last year without a prescription mask and did not have any problem getting scallops, but I know the experience would have been enhanced with a prescription mask. :fish:

Another low cost option is take an old pair of glasses (if you have an old pair), the prescription doesn't need to be your exact current prescription, and remove the arms from the actual glass frames. You can then insert the glasses in the mask and go from there It is a little goofy, but an easy, low cost alternative to getting a prescription mask for a one off cruise. Definitely get the rx mask if you plan to use it often, but this can work in a pinch. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter