Snoring Spouse

My DH does take his along when we cruise. The machine he uses fits in to its own small bag approx 12"x18"x4". P.S. If you fly, it doesn't count against your carry-on allowance, as it is considered medical equipment.

I didn't measure, but I'm sure my husband's is bigger than that. Do you just tell the airline it's medical equipment, or do you have to have some kind of special documentation?

We went with two cabins. Our DD who can usually sleep through anything was knocking on my cabin door most nights to be let in so she could sleep.

Not sure what we'll do w/ one cabin when DW and I cruise with DS. She may be sleeping on the "secret verandah" on deck seven - waking up everybody else on the ship. :lmao:

Maybe I should ask her to take the sleep apnea test?

My husband has been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and sleeps with a CPAP. But it seems really bulky to carry along - do your DHs take their machines along on cruises?!?!??

Yep, mine will be. He took it to WDW with no problems. We carry it on the plane in the carry bag it came with and security did do some test on it, but no biggy. I'm going to buy some distilled water before we board. I figure I'll soak it in the tub to clean it and may ask our steward for a carafe of super hot water to rinse just to make sure its really clean.

OP, I used the foam earplugs before insisting that Dh do the sleep study. I'm surprised the snoring didn't wake the neighborhood. I still use them because I don't like the Darth Vader sound the CPAP makes, its minimal but when you get used to ear plugs, even white noise annoyed me. Good Luck

You've just made me feel better for spending the extra money on the connecting stateroom. Thank you.:woohoo:

Hi,

I also have to deal with a snoring husband. I also have to fall asleep before him but if I wake up in the middle of the night I usually go into the guest room because I can't fall asleep.

I just bought a white noise machine from amazon.com. Not sure of the brand but it was the one that cost $39. I also got some ear plugs, they are silicon like stuff and seem to work better than the foam. I also take benedryl before bed and very occasionally ambien.

A question to those whose husbands have had the sleep study - what is a cpap and how does it work? My husband has bad allergies, his nose is constantly stuffy (not seasonal allergies - this is year round). He takes 2 meds for the allergies but really doesn't help. He tried shots, didn't help. I think his snoring is so bad because of the stuffy nose.

One of you can always sleep in the tub and close the door!!
As for white noise, just tune the TV to an unused channel.
Both DW and I snore, so we just deal with it, if I shake her, or she shakes me, we are conditions to roll onto our sides and the snoring stops.

A friend uses a cpap, and other than the health benefits, his wife says the cpap is more distrubing than the snoring ever was.

A question to those whose husbands have had the sleep study - what is a cpap and how does it work? quote]

If you have sleep apena most times you stop breathing for a few secs and then a load snore as you gasp for air.
This goes on all night long

Not everyone who snores has sleep apena, but if you sound like a feight train and feel tired all the time see your doctor and have the study done.
I have used CPAP since 1995

Most machines use a mask you wear when you sleep. It blows air into your noses and keeps the passage ways open.

Best sleep I had in years when I first started using the machine.

CPAP stands for (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure)

For more info on CPAP see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Airway_Pressure

I didn't measure, but I'm sure my husband's is bigger than that. Do you just tell the airline it's medical equipment, or do you have to have some kind of special documentation?

The airlines and TSA agents are very familiar with this piece of equipment, although they often have DH open the bag for hand inspection. I have no problem with them doing this. We have never tried to not count it as one of his two carryons as that is a much as we can handle anyway.

Use a CPAP machine too -- no problem - airlines do not count it as carryon luggage.

I called the manufacturer - and was told I could use reg. tap water for up to 3 weeks without a problem. I used the old resevior - and tossed when we were heading home.

Depending on allergies - my nose is always stuffed - I have to use the full mask version.

When I went for my sleep test (I was falling asleep constantly at work), they found out that I have very mild sleep apnea - but my lungs due to my asthma - weren't pulling in enough air - and my blood oxygen count was in the 80's .

Ed is right - its a great feeling to go to bed and actually wake refreshed (instead of tired).

As I am reading this post my dh is snoring. I like the down pillow and duck tape idea. :lmao:

We have used a combination of the breathe right strips and the nasal spray. It helped alot. He still snored but not nearly as loud.

Sleep study. Now. My husband finally went in for one shortly after we married and oh. my. stars. the difference it has caused in both our lives. He managed to get a CPAP before any damage was done, but it's very important if there's any apnea (very loud/disruptive snoring and especially if there are periods when breathing stops are signs there /might/ be apnea). My sister in law didn't go in for a long time, and while she's now on a CPAP and the apnea is dealt with, she had already done damage to 25% of her heart!
Apnea = loss of oxygen
Lack of oxygen = damage to heart and brain.

So yes, thing one is a sleep study. Also, try those breathright nose strips. For normal snoring and allergies/colds they can really help.

SusanJC: A CPAP is a forced air breathing machine. It goes on over the nose (sometimes nose and mouth) and keeps a stream of air going constantly, making it easier to breathe in your sleep.

Turtletyson: I suggest checking to see if your husband can move to a different CPAP machine. Our insurance covers a new machine every 4 years, I think. The one my husband picked up just two weeks ago is tiny. If you put four cans of soda together 2x2, then cut about two inches off the top, that's about how big it is. (Sorry, I couldn't think of a more graceful metaphor). The one before that was only a little bigger.

You can take a CPAP with you anywhere. We even found out this year that medical equipment does not count against your carry on amount. I can't imagine my husband at all enjoying a vacation without having a CPAP with him. It really has made his life immeasurably better.

I wish I would have had it sooner. I was shaking the bed and would be
tired even after sleeping 10 hours, now I get 6 hours of solid sleep
and do not feel tired at all. The only hassle with travel is that the
unit is required to have a chemical check every time but some
airports do not always do it. Any prescription med device does
not count as a carryon.

One of my boys has asthma so I also carry a pulse-oxymeter, portable
nebulizer plus his inhalers (at least two of each).

As far as the noise, the unit I have is about as loud as small fan
UNLESS the mask is not sitting correctly or there is a leak in the
air line. My boys say it doesn't bother them at all, but the three
older ones do complain about the snoring of my 6 y/o. No, no
sleep apnea for him (yet).

My first trip on DCL was with my mother and son. She slept on the sofa area and I was in the bed closest to her - almost head to head. She snored so loud. I found the rubber ear plugs kinda bulky and they fall out. Nothing like good old cotton balls that you can make to your exact size.... worked like a charm.

Recently my son was in the hospital and I needed to stay with him. I used cotton there too and I never awoke when they came in during the night to check his vitals and change his IV.

The key is that you can make them comfortable for your individual ear. I find it best to fill as much as you can of the outer ear and a gentle push into the canal. I don't travel without them now. If you lose one - easily replaced!

Hope this helps!

I can't get my DFi to even attempt to go get a sleep study done. He says he doesn't want to wear anything on his face when he sleeps...so I suffer if I don't fall asleep before him or if he wakes me up in the middle of the night snoring. I don't know how else to convince him to go.....maybe make that a condition before we get married?

Wow - this must be a big issue, judging by all the posts! Maybe talking to another guy who has it would help. My DH didn't notice huge health benefits w/ the CPAP, but did sleep better. The mask doesn't really bother him.

For me, the snoring wasn't the worst part. When I looked over at him sleeping and saw his chest stop moving for a few seconds, and knowing that he was not breathing....:sad1: And then that sound (we called it "snorfling") when he gasped for air - AUGH!

Thanks for the tips on taking the CPAP along on the cruise - we're going to look into getting a smaller machine.

Laurie

My friend’s husband died in his early 40’s (a year ago this month) from undiagnosed sleep apnea. He stopped breathing during the night and never started back up again. :sad1:

Wow - this must be a big issue, judging by all the posts! Maybe talking to another guy who has it would help. My DH didn't notice huge health benefits w/ the CPAP, but did sleep better. The mask doesn't really bother him.

For me, the snoring wasn't the worst part. When I looked over at him sleeping and saw his chest stop moving for a few seconds, and knowing that he was not breathing....:sad1: And then that sound (we called it "snorfling") when he gasped for air - AUGH!

Thanks for the tips on taking the CPAP along on the cruise - we're going to look into getting a smaller machine.

Laurie

I totally agree with this... The snoring isnt as bad as the NOT SNORING... because that means he is NOT Breathing!!! My DH calls his Cpap machine His Shamefull mask of Hiddeousness, and in fact it broke many months ago, and he has not replaced it.... I have sent him to sleep else where until he get's it fixed... maybe I need to make that call for him.... hmmm

I am looking for some sort of white noise machine...What do you reccomend?
Where can I find one? I have never seen one at Wal mart or anywhere.

Thanks!!

We got one for DD at babies r us... it has a womb sound, but it also has ocean, rain, birds, and a bunch of other ones like you might find on one from Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc. It's pretty small and, if I remember correctly, cost about $20... We took it with us on the 4-night Wonder trip we just got back from and it worked great. We all enjoyed the sound of lapping ocean waves while we slept.:) It's not loud enough to completely drown out a loud snorer, but might help - especially in combination with ear plugs.

I can't get my DFi to even attempt to go get a sleep study done. He says he doesn't want to wear anything on his face when he sleeps...so I suffer if I don't fall asleep before him or if he wakes me up in the middle of the night snoring. I don't know how else to convince him to go.....maybe make that a condition before we get married?

For the test most places will connect a fingertip lead to a small
pulse-oximeter, it is battery operated and about the size of
a vhs tape (usually, some places use the older units that are about
the size of a small vcr). For my test, the finger clip fell off after
a couple of hours but it clearly showed where I would stop breathing
for up to 45 seconds at a time.

Used to be you could get pulse-oxys on ebay, but they are considered
prescription med equipment and very hard to find now. But if you are
a pilot there is small fingertip version that you are allowed to buy
without a prescription, it is called a Nonin Onyx, an amazing little
device that I would highly recommend to anyone with apnea or if
you have an asthma sufferer.

http://www.nonin.com/products.asp?ID=2&sec=1&sub=1

(IMHO, see your doctor .....)

wow norcalmouse...45 seconds of not breathing is a long time! I can't even hold my breath for that long unless I really try! :scared1: I have been trying to get my DH to do a sleep study but he can't be bothered! After reading this thread, I will really talk to him about it again! Does it have to be done in a medical office or can it be done from home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter