• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

snacks for kids

happygirl

DIS Veteran
what are some of your kids fav snacks?? I'm looking for some new ideas for snacks for my kids

I feel like I am always looking for new snacks for my DD who is 2.
A few of her current favorites:
edamame - soy beans
frozen yogurt pops - I just pour vanilla flavored yogurt into popsicle molds
and freeze them
yogurt with cheerios mixed in
mixed fruit from the can (in pear juice) - she LOVES fruit and for some
reason thinks the canned variety is a real treat

Those frozen pb&j sandwiches! Sam's Club just came out with their own brand - they're bigger and better! I know I'm the unhealthy junk food mom!! But my son also loves fruit of most kinds (thankfully we're in California where it's cheap - I've seen how much fruit is other parts of the country - YIKES!) Also, we like pretzels and trail mix from places like Trader Joe's/Whole Foods.

I need some inspiration too! Here are some of our favorites:

* string cheese
* Danimals drinkable yogurt -- we just pop a straw in
* pretzels -- I just vary from sticks, squares, knots or braided honey sticks
and they always think they are "new"

goldfish, cheese pretzels, peanut butter pretzels, veggie chips
fruit salads, raisins
fruit/cereal bars
yogurt

DD's current favorite is a mini bagel with cream cheese or raisin bread with cream cheese (she just discovered she likes it).

-pretzels
-trail mix
-Misc snacks from the Asian Market (Pocky, cream-filled cookies, mini-yogurts)
-frozen Gogurt
-popcicles
-fruit (banana, apple slices, blueberries, strawberries)

My boys are a little older 8 and 13 but they like:
Chips and salsa
100 cal. packs. of cookies
pickled orka
fruit
pizza rolls
hot pockets
honey buns
kudos bars
Yea, I know alot of junk food. But they are healthy and happy.

Thanks guys:goodvibes Everyone had really great idea:):) does anyone else kids love popcorn??

oh yes. We pop popcorn nearly everyday (I don't like the microwave variety though). Dr. said it is good for the kids anyway to get the fiber:)

Mine (9 and 11) also love to snack on fruit. In the summer they freeze pieces of banana, grape, and blueberries and eat them frozen.

Other things they like:
all varieties of crakers (saltines, cheeze its, fish, graham, etc.)
boiled eggs
peanuts
just about anything dipped in peanut butter (celery, crackers, apples, etc.)
cheese cubes
pretzles
toritllas (plain, with butter, with cheese, with peanut butter and brown sugar, etc.)
dry cereal
yogurt

my 3 year old boy loves hard boiled eggs, salami, string cheese, of course junky stuff like chips, and those Gerber puffs.

Thanks guys:goodvibes Everyone had really great idea:):) does anyone else kids love popcorn??

I think my 5 year old is the only kid I know who doesn't like it...that's okay, then I don't have to share when we go to the movies:rotfl:

Seriously, though...his favorite snack is cottage cheese with steak sauce. (it sounds gross, but it's really good...you don't need much to get the flavor.) Others include little packs of goldfish (of course, not the giant container I keep at home, it must be the little bags, LOL), fruit (strawberries , blueberries, and blackberries), mini-bagels with cream cheese, and Nutripals drinks--like pediasure, but they aren't a complete nutritional replacement.

Okay, I just had to add one more...I asked my DS what his favorite snack was, and he said, "brie and apples"--we bought some brie a few weeks ago when it was on sale--it must have stuck with him!

I have a recipe for homemade granola bars which is great for using up bits of leftover cereal. It is fairly quick (10 mins) and full of fiber. The kids love them...if you are interested let me know and I will post it......;)

I have a recipe for homemade granola bars which is great for using up bits of leftover cereal. It is fairly quick (10 mins) and full of fiber. The kids love them...if you are interested let me know and I will post it......;)

ooo, please do! We always have leftover cereal.

ooo, please do! We always have leftover cereal.

Yeah I know....why is it no one ever wants to eat the last 1/2 cup in the bag?? O.k. I will post it in a bit....DD8 had a sleepover party last night and they are still asleep in the living room....so I don't dare go down to the kitchen!!!!:rolleyes:

DD7 loves the Sam's Club version of "uncrustables". They are bigger and a great value. I keep a box in the freezer for days she wants cold lunch at school. I know they are not the healthiest, but I balance it out w/some of her healthy favorites.
Vanilla Yogurt - w/or w/out granola or her new discovery Girl Scout Cinnaspin cookies dipped in yogurt.
Laughing Cow cheese & Fiber One crackers
Homemade trailmix
Craisins
Veggies & dip
SF Jell-O Cups
Danimals
Go-Gurts
Rice Crispy Treats
Nuts
Fruit

Keep the ideas coming!

My kids also love the individual cracker barrel cheese sticks that we buy at BJ's. Of course they are expensive, but they only go in the lunchboxes of my two older ds's, the younger two kids just get slices of cheddar off a big bar in my fridge!

Other favorites.....

clementines, strawberries, grapes, cherry tomatoes, ants on a log, and veggies and dip.

Popcorn, wheat thins, dried blueberries (we get them at trader joes), mini peanut butter cracker sandwiches, cinnamon toast, waffle sticks that I make and freeze and then serve with apple sauce to dip. Animal crackers and cereal bars too.

Now, I'm off to make some popcorn......;)

Gosh, you all are so creative, it makes me feel like a really bad mom. I guess I'm not exposing my girls to a lot of different foods. I will be on the look out for something different next time we go to the store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter