• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Smudge's" First Trip... a baby's perspective on WDW!

Gavin is ADORABLE! Oh my goodness. So, so cute!

How very cool that after this trip you'll have stayed in every DVC resort in Orlando! :thumbsup2 I've still got a ways to go, but slowly making our way down that list.

As for traveling with a little one - Henry was 14 months on our 1st trip, so he was a bit more into solid foods and all, but still very much a baby. One thing I found very useful was a small collapsible cooler with an ice pack. This kept his milk/bottles/sippy cups cool and we didn't really have to break to figure out his food. I also have found our stroller mesh bag AWESOME. It just hangs on the back of our stroller, it makes bag checks a breeze and can hold all your baby needs.

Definitely go with Gavin's signs - and what he's interested in, if she shows interest in things at that point - like water features and ducks. Seeing his eyes light up with the magic is incredible. You'll see a whole new side to Disney!

Work the Fast Pass system! Example: You are at Epcot. Send DH for ONE FP for Soarin' and you go hit Test Track for ONE FP. Then baby swap for the other person on each ride. If he sleeps in the stroller, it's a good time to hit those big rides too!

I hope that helps some!!

Aww! Gavin is super cute! And I think we would get along great! I love So You Think You Can Dance as well! (I am watching my DVR'd recording right now!)

I understand about wanting to ride all the rides you missed last time! I am hoping I have to skip all those rides when we go in August!!

When we took Colby last year for his first trip, he napped really well in his stroller, so we were able to keep going on rides. While one of us would stroll with Colby in the stroller in a quieter area, the other would go on the ride and then we would text and meet to do the child swap. We also took advantage of as many Fastpasses as we could! Eventhough Colby would nap in his stroller, we always went back to the hotel for a break in the afternoon. Colby needed the break from the park, people and heat.

Good luck with Gavin's first trip! I'm sure you will make some awsome memories!

OMG! Your Gavin is sooo cute! :)

My little guy was born Feb 15. He'll be 7 months when we go.

For travelling, I would say have some plastic bags where you can throw dirty onesies and soiled clothing. Maybe an extra big changing table cover, some of those can be soo nasty or you might even end up on the floor sometimes.

What a adorable picture of Gavin! You are right you will be moved out of Jambo when we check in but that stay will make our DVC resorts complete at the world!

Awwwwww!!!! What an adorable picture of Gavin!! Cutest smile ever!! :goodvibes. How cool that you will have stayed at every DVC!! I've only done AKV, BC and SSR :) Have been to BW but not the villas so I can't count that ;)

I hope you love Via. It has been put on my favorites list :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Tracy

We've heard great things about Via, DH is really excited about it!

Gavin is ADORABLE! Oh my goodness. So, so cute!

How very cool that after this trip you'll have stayed in every DVC resort in Orlando! :thumbsup2 I've still got a ways to go, but slowly making our way down that list.

As for traveling with a little one - Henry was 14 months on our 1st trip, so he was a bit more into solid foods and all, but still very much a baby. One thing I found very useful was a small collapsible cooler with an ice pack. This kept his milk/bottles/sippy cups cool and we didn't really have to break to figure out his food. I also have found our stroller mesh bag AWESOME. It just hangs on the back of our stroller, it makes bag checks a breeze and can hold all your baby needs.

Definitely go with Gavin's signs - and what he's interested in, if she shows interest in things at that point - like water features and ducks. Seeing his eyes light up with the magic is incredible. You'll see a whole new side to Disney!

Work the Fast Pass system! Example: You are at Epcot. Send DH for ONE FP for Soarin' and you go hit Test Track for ONE FP. Then baby swap for the other person on each ride. If he sleeps in the stroller, it's a good time to hit those big rides too!

I hope that helps some!!

We have a cooler that attaches to the bottom bar of our stroller, so that should be really helpful.

Aww! Gavin is super cute! And I think we would get along great! I love So You Think You Can Dance as well! (I am watching my DVR'd recording right now!)

I understand about wanting to ride all the rides you missed last time! I am hoping I have to skip all those rides when we go in August!!

When we took Colby last year for his first trip, he napped really well in his stroller, so we were able to keep going on rides. While one of us would stroll with Colby in the stroller in a quieter area, the other would go on the ride and then we would text and meet to do the child swap. We also took advantage of as many Fastpasses as we could! Eventhough Colby would nap in his stroller, we always went back to the hotel for a break in the afternoon. Colby needed the break from the park, people and heat.

Good luck with Gavin's first trip! I'm sure you will make some awsome memories!

I'd already planned on using the child swap, but didn't think about being able to "double-up" on FPs while we're doing so, that'll definitely make touring easier! Thanks for the tip!

OMG! Your Gavin is sooo cute! :)

My little guy was born Feb 15. He'll be 7 months when we go.

For travelling, I would say have some plastic bags where you can throw dirty onesies and soiled clothing. Maybe an extra big changing table cover, some of those can be soo nasty or you might even end up on the floor sometimes.

I'm planning to pack all of his clothes in ziploc bags, one outfit per bag, to make it easy to throw backup outfits in the diaper bag, get him dressed, etc, AND have a place to contain soiled clothing until we can get back to the resort and do some laundry! And the changing table cover is already in the diaper bag, so we shouldn't forget to take that!

What a adorable picture of Gavin! You are right you will be moved out of Jambo when we check in but that stay will make our DVC resorts complete at the world!

Well, regardless of where you are, you'll still be able to see Gavin. :) What day are you guys coming back to Orlando from Vero again?
[/COLOR]

Joining in!

Congratulations! Gavin looks absolutely adorable! I can't believe you have stayed in all of the villas. How long did that take you?

Joining in!

Congratulations! Gavin looks absolutely adorable! I can't believe you have stayed in all of the villas. How long did that take you?

We joined DVC in April 2007, and our first DVC stay was in October 2007 for F&W Festival, so nearly 4 years to hit all the resorts. :)

Gavin is SO CUTE!!!
We hope to stay at all the DVC resorts someday too, but we're just getting started! We just joined last fall and had previously stayed at BLT (cash) so we've now gotten 2 down! BLT and AKV. Do we have to count Kidani and Jambo separately? ;)

You sound very organized for the baby! I'm sure you'll have a great time, although it will be different!
That FP tip is a good one - I suppose we could use that for the rides that only half the family enjoys!

Gavin is SO CUTE!!!
We hope to stay at all the DVC resorts someday too, but we're just getting started! We just joined last fall and had previously stayed at BLT (cash) so we've now gotten 2 down! BLT and AKV. Do we have to count Kidani and Jambo separately? ;)

You sound very organized for the baby! I'm sure you'll have a great time, although it will be different!
That FP tip is a good one - I suppose we could use that for the rides that only half the family enjoys!

I don't think you HAVE to count Kidani & Jambo separately, but after this trip we'll have stayed in both, so even if you do count them separately, we'll still have hit every one! :)

We get to Bay Lake on the 10th. Now we are hanging around Disney until the 15th.

Yay, Gavin will have lots of opportunities to see his fairy godmother then! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, we leave on Thursday morning. I can't believe how quickly it's snuck up on us. I started trying to get organized to pack last night, and can already tell that we're going to have some new challenges since we're traveling with Smudge.

All of his outfits are separated out, rolled up, and stored individually in ziploc bags, which will hopefully make getting him dressed in the mornings a bit easier. I need to get his toiletries together tonight and start organizing the diaper bag for the travel day. Tomorrow is my last day of work, so hopefully if I pack the diaper bag well tonight, my dad won't be able to make too much of a mess out of it tomorrow. Packing is further complicated by the fact that Gavin currently has an ear infection and is on amoxicillin, which has to be kept refrigerated. Luckily, we were already planning to take a small, soft-sided cooler that attaches to our stroller, so my plan is to put a baggie of ice & the medicine in the cooler, then throw out the baggie of ice at security, and then once we get through security, go get ice from one of the restaurants to put back in the cooler. That should work, right? We'll have a fridge in the villa so keeping it cold once we get to AKV shouldn't be an issue.

Here's my packing list for him - if you've ever traveled with a baby/small child, tell me if this looks complete:
- clothes for the trip
- swimwear, sun hats, sunglasses
- infant tylenol, gas drops, antibiotics
- sunblock
- swim diapers (b/c I forgot to order them from Garden Grocer)
- blanket
- lovies
- pacifier(s)
- sleepers/pajamas
- bibs
- burp cloths
- bottle/sippy cup
- inflatable ducky bath tub
- saline spray, nose sucker, nail clippers, diaper rash cream

And I'm having Garden Grocer deliver diapers, wipes, baby shampoo/body wash stuff, and pedialyte (in case of dehydration)

We also need to start dealing with packing for the grown-ups tonight. ;) DH & I tend to put packing off until the very last minute, and I don't want to be up until midnight the night before we leave, because if we're up, Gavin will not want to sleep. Heck, he barely slept last night, and I know he'll feel my nervous energy on Wednesday.

Oops, the bell just rang... gotta go teach. I'll be back soon. :)

Your list looks pretty good to me, although it's been quite a few years since I traveled with a baby!

Good idea to get those things delivered!

Wishing you a magical trip...can't wait to hear a full TR on your return. Hope Gavin loves all those cuddly diz characters! Oh the memories your gona make!:goodvibes

Poor Gavin! I remember reading about something that can help a baby's ears on the plane-a drop or something maybe? You might want to look into that since he is just getting over the ear infection the flight might be more difficult on his ears. I'm sure you already have planned for a drink for Gavin for take-off and landing.

Maybe a few toys he likes that attach to his stroller and/or a high chair for him to play with. Also, Colby loved bubbles while waiting in line. I took a little bottle I had gotten from a wedding, I think, and we pulled them out when we were waiting for a ride or show.

The only other thing I can think of is if Gavin is taking any solid foods...don't know if you have started that yet or not!

I can't wait to hear about your trip! Enjoy yourselves!

Joining in! I love travelling with babies. They go with the flow really well. I can't wait to see WDW through your DS's eyes.

We took my DS to Italy when he was 3 months old and he got an ear infection just before we went. I did exactly what you are planning to keep the meds cold. Someone else mentioned the ear drops. There are some that your Dr can prescribe for you that numbs their ears. Also make sure that he has something in his mouth (bottle, paci, etc.) for take-off and landing to keep him swallowing and equalize the pressure. Make sure to go through your diaper bag and take out any liquids or creams over 4 oz (i.e. especially diaper cream). I always bring some free samples which are usually less than one ounce in the diaper bag and then put my big tube in the checked luggage.

I love baby trip reports! Our first trip was when ds was 9 months. He was moving from breastmilk to formula/ solids at the time, but I chose tp take powder formula. It was just so much lighter to carry at feeding time I would go to a cs restaurant and ask for a cup of hot water and a cup of cold water. I'd use the hot to sterilize the bottle, and then add a little hot water and the formula. After mixing I'd add cold water to fill it up. That hot water is scalding, so much so it could burn your hands. Make sure you always take an extra bottle. They only sell a really cheap basic gerber kind- nothing like ventair or dr browns. Ad for some reason bottles seemed to be easily lost.
We took a bunch of those linkydoos toys- the oval things that clip together. And then we took every toy that we had that could attach to it. Each morning we would throw a few in the park bag and trade them out when he got bored.
We had a regular crib in our deluxe room, and also a pack n play. The pack m play was used when we needed to contain him. Otherwise, he was most content when crawling around after being stuck in a stroller all day.
It's a small world was his favorite by far, but he was in awe of all the lights and sounds. He NEVER napped at home anywhere, bit he napped when he was tired wherever he was at Disney. It just wore him out.
I think the worst thing for him was being in the stroller so much, so if you have a carrier/ do any babywearing, that's a good way to change it up a bit.
As for the plane, we just gave him a bottle at takeoff.

So, we leave on Thursday morning. I can't believe how quickly it's snuck up on us. I started trying to get organized to pack last night, and can already tell that we're going to have some new challenges since we're traveling with Smudge.

All of his outfits are separated out, rolled up, and stored individually in ziploc bags, which will hopefully make getting him dressed in the mornings a bit easier.

We also need to start dealing with packing for the grown-ups tonight. ;) DH & I tend to put packing off until the very last minute, and I don't want to be up until midnight the night before we leave, because if we're up, Gavin will not want to sleep. Heck, he barely slept last night, and I know he'll feel my nervous energy on Wednesday.

Oops, the bell just rang... gotta go teach. I'll be back soon. :)

This is an exciting and busy, busy week!

Putting the outfits together in bags does help. Jill has always done that.

Good luck with the packing for the big people, too.

Sorry about that bell ringing. Those things just come along and so rudely interrupt our DIS time, dont they??? :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter