Smoothie, anyone?

frndofpooh

<font color=green>I just cannot abide the sight of
I need some good smoothie recipes for this summer - my DS will start swim practice at 6:30 a.m. and needs to eat before he goes but is not interested in solid food at that hour. Any suggestions? He loves berries and just about any other fruit but is not really into bananas (unless the taste is hidden). Nothing too complicated, please - I have to make this at around 5:30 a.m. and who knows what my brain capacity will be at that hour! TIA!

Hi. Here in Canada we have a store called "M & M Meats" they have different ingredients and instructions for smoothies. Then you could try the Kraft company on thier web site. DD17 has just started into making the smoothies too.

Hello! My absolutely favorite recipe is adapted from Cooks Illustrated. This is it in my own words.

*16 OZ bag frozen fruit (I prefer the mixed berry, strawberry is good too.)
*1 small banana (I really dislike banana too, However the creamy texture in this is sort of nessesary. You can't taste it.
*1/2 cup whole milk
*1/2 cup white grape juice (Use this juice, makes a big difference.)
*2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (important addition)
*3-5 teaspoons sugar (I like 4-5)
*pinch salt (really brings out the flavors)

Blend in blender or food processer. I usually let the frozen fruit sit out for about ten minutes before I blend.

You can use fresh fruit too. Just add a few ice cubes as well. Also, freeze the banana for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy, this is the best!!
-Becca

Go to JambaJuice.com for some great combinations. :cool1: They use all FROZEN fruits in their smoothies, so that less ice is used for the thickening & blending. (You can get the prepackaged frozen fruits. :thumbsup2 )

My personal favorite is their Protein Berry Pizzazz which uses protein rich soy milk, a scoop of energy powder, 1 scoop of crushed ice, 2 scoops of frozen strawberries & 2 scoops of cut up, frozen bananas. (I can barely taste the bananas - they're in for sweetness.) Sometimes I have them substitute one of the banana scoops with a scoop of frozen blueberries or frozen peaches or frozen raspberries. Yummy!

If you get a good tasting brand of protein powder or energy powder from a health food store, they will help the fruit digest more slowly, so DS will not have a low sugar crash right during swim practice. :bounce: My favorite is Designer Protein brand or Trader Joe's Whey protein - either in vanilla flavor. :cheer2:

Costco carries an already pureed fruit base in the frozen food deptarment. You just add ice and any protien poweder you want.

My quick morning smoothie consists of:

1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 container DanActiv (plain or strawberry)
1 cup strawberries ( I freeze a few to keep the smoothie cooler for longer)
1 cup peaches (you can use bottled, canned or frozen) or mango
1/4 cup wheat germ (you'll never taste it, but yea fiber)
Sweeten to taste with sugar, splenda or maple syrup (better for you than honey if it's organic). I wouldn't add more than 1/2 a banana though, otherwise it could be too much.

You can create any fruit combo you want, like mango peach or strawberry raspberry and If you want to add protein, I add 1/8 cup silken or soft tofu (you will not taste it)

porterbl1 said:
Hello! My absolutely favorite recipe is adapted from Cooks Illustrated. This is it in my own words.

*16 OZ bag frozen fruit (I prefer the mixed berry, strawberry is good too.)
*1 small banana (I really dislike banana too, However the creamy texture in this is sort of nessesary. You can't taste it.
*1/2 cup whole milk
*1/2 cup white grape juice (Use this juice, makes a big difference.)
*2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (important addition)
*3-5 teaspoons sugar (I like 4-5)
*pinch salt (really brings out the flavors)

Blend in blender or food processer. I usually let the frozen fruit sit out for about ten minutes before I blend.

You can use fresh fruit too. Just add a few ice cubes as well. Also, freeze the banana for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy, this is the best!!
-Becca

How much does this make? Can you keep it in the fridge for a day or two or should you drink it immediately?

here's a fav of mine!

1 cup of plain yogurt, give or take
1 banana, frozen
1/4 c pineapple juice
2T honey
dash of cinnamon

*sometimes I add frozen mango pieces*

It is semi frozen when you make it thanks to the frozen fruit. Therefore, I wouldn't refrigerate it.

It makes about 4 small or 2 large smoothies. The smalls would be enough for about anyone. They are very filling.
-Becca

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter