Smoking?

Not really had problems in Disneyland - just make sure to avoid designated smoking areas.

What about Downtown Disney? It always seems like we are walking behind someone who is smoking.

Whenever I have encountered a smoker outside smoking areas, I simply say, "You may not be aware of this, but smoking is only allowed is designated areas." I've never had a smoker act like the jerk the OP talked about. They have all apologized and put out their cigarette. Many just don't know...at least that's what I hope. I would have called security on that guy--have him thrown out of the park for child endangerment. Every place has people who act like jerks, unfortunately DLR is one of them.

My husband is a smoker. He is also very aware of others around him and is very conscious of bothering others. He always smokes only in the designated areas. That being said, on our last trip in Dec we were right next to the smoking section in NOS. He was going to have a cigarette and we were going to go ahead to pooh. He had already pulled the cigarette out of his pack and was about to head into the area when I needed his help holding my packages to get something out for my son. I said to my DH to "hold this", he grab my bags and stuck his non-lit cig in his mouth (more out of habit then anything else). An older CM gentleman who was cleaning the area started to scream at my husband about the cigarette. We said sorry he wasn't lighting it. He just stuck it in his mouth really quick cuz I had thrown all my Disney purchase bags at him. (Again we were literally right in front of the smoking area.) He continued to yell at my hubby about not smoking. My husband had taken the cigarette out of his mouth immediately and we again reassured the CM that he was not going to be smoking it. I have never had a cm be like that and was quite upset by the whole thing. Especially because my DH always trys to not bother anyone with his habit. We just let it go but that cm made my husband feel really bad.
So I know that they told your friend that they wouldn't ask them to stop but that was not our experience. (And just for the record I hate that my husband smokes and I wish he would quit...:worried:)

I'm sorry about that kind of experience! Definitely not the best way to handle the situation. I know for me, personally, I would always say something to any guest holding a cigarette - lit or not - if they aren't in the designated area. But will every cast member? No, but it can and will happen. Hopefully they're more polite and helpful about it than that. Most of the time people just don't know and it's not a huge to-do. But man can some people get angry about it!

And for whoever asked, e-cigs are treated just the same.

My friend, who is a smoker asked at the ride times board for clarification and was told that as long as you're walking outside while you smoke, you won't be told to stop, even if you're outside the designated smoking area. I'm sure most guests know that they will finish their cigarette by the time a CM would be able to approach them.

This isn't right from what I've been told my CM's. Smoking bothers me, a lot, causes mild asthma attacks actually, depending on how close it is to me. :) I've asked before and been told smoking is only allowed in designated areas. I've also seen CM's approach people walking with cigarettes and ask them to proceed to the closest designated area.

We couldn't have been in a designated area.

What got me about the guy was that he looked at my daughter and intimidated her. If he had made a smart comment to me it wouldn't have been a big deal.

I would have been right up in his face if he had spoken to my children at all, and I would have been yelling for a CM to get security, there is no call for that. If he had wanted to say something he should have done so to you not to your 7 year old. :confused3 What a bully!

I'm sorry about that kind of experience! Definitely not the best way to handle the situation. I know for me, personally, I would always say something to any guest holding a cigarette - lit or not - if they aren't in the designated area. But will every cast member? No, but it can and will happen. Hopefully they're more polite and helpful about it than that. Most of the time people just don't know and it's not a huge to-do. But man can some people get angry about it!

And for whoever asked, e-cigs are treated just the same.

This is good to know, thank you :)

That was me who asked. I don't see why the CM didn't go over and ask them to stop then? Good to know though.

Could be any number of reasons. Sometimes they may not have seen, they may have been unable to leave their position, weren't comfortable confronting someone, contacted a lead or security, etc. It's also possible they didn't know or (sadly) didn't care. You never know.

My DH is a smoker, and both times we have gone, he was very careful to stay in the areas.
My frustration (and his) was on our last trip in 2012, it was just him and myself. We were IN the smoking area (I don't smoke, I was standing next to him at the rail) by Rivers of America. We decided to stay and watch Fantasmic from there. Needless to say it got crowded, but it was smokers and people with them. One lady came barreling into the area, shoved to the rail and proceeded to loudly complain about the cigarette smoke and how rude it was to smoke in front of non-smokers. :scared1: Um, she was in the smoking area. I pointed it out to her and she had a tizzy saying 'it didn't count during Fantasmic time.' Really? Several people said go get a CM if you are unhappy. She left and didn't come back, but come on. You can't go into a smoking area and expect it to not be a smoking area because you are there!
There are rude smokers, but there are also plenty that try very hard to be polite. I am sorry that guy was a jerk.

My DH is a smoker, and both times we have gone, he was very careful to stay in the areas. My frustration (and his) was on our last trip in 2012, it was just him and myself. We were IN the smoking area (I don't smoke, I was standing next to him at the rail) by Rivers of America. We decided to stay and watch Fantasmic from there. Needless to say it got crowded, but it was smokers and people with them. One lady came barreling into the area, shoved to the rail and proceeded to loudly complain about the cigarette smoke and how rude it was to smoke in front of non-smokers. :scared1: Um, she was in the smoking area. I pointed it out to her and she had a tizzy saying 'it didn't count during Fantasmic time.' Really? Several people said go get a CM if you are unhappy. She left and didn't come back, but come on. You can't go into a smoking area and expect it to not be a smoking area because you are there! There are rude smokers, but there are also plenty that try very hard to be polite. I am sorry that guy was a jerk.

Yes I agree. There are polite ones too.

My DH is a smoker, and both times we have gone, he was very careful to stay in the areas.
My frustration (and his) was on our last trip in 2012, it was just him and myself. We were IN the smoking area (I don't smoke, I was standing next to him at the rail) by Rivers of America. We decided to stay and watch Fantasmic from there. Needless to say it got crowded, but it was smokers and people with them. One lady came barreling into the area, shoved to the rail and proceeded to loudly complain about the cigarette smoke and how rude it was to smoke in front of non-smokers. :scared1: Um, she was in the smoking area. I pointed it out to her and she had a tizzy saying 'it didn't count during Fantasmic time.' Really? Several people said go get a CM if you are unhappy. She left and didn't come back, but come on. You can't go into a smoking area and expect it to not be a smoking area because you are there!
There are rude smokers, but there are also plenty that try very hard to be polite. I am sorry that guy was a jerk.

I had the same thing happen to me in April, with a bit of twist.

I can get at times really bad panic attacks, complicate that with a hidden disablity with my right leg. I spent a year in a wheel chair, and another two years learning to walk again. So when I get a bad attack I need a wheelchair because I don't trust my ability to walk. Anywho, that night my sister and mother where in the park with me, pushing me in a wheelchair. I know I could not handle rides, but being there is still special. I am a smoker, so they put me in the NO smoking area, with water, and I had a very nice relaxing place to sit and let my meds take affect. They went off and did Hm, Potc, etc.

So it's getting close to fantasmic, I'm doing okay, mom and sis are going from ride to ride, I am sitting close to railing, and right before F starts two mom's with four kids ages about 7 to 10 or so come into the smoking area, the moms push the kids in front of me, one of the children even pushed my chair back a bit so they could fit. Well being in a chair on and off I have gotten used to some people treating me as if I am invisable. So I am sitting there kinda of gobsmacked. But did not feel up to any kind of argument, being kind of vulnerable at the time. I did have a smoke going and one mother decides that I should not smoke in front of her children. "You need to put that out if you are going to sit there" she says to me, and not in a nice way. I looked at her and said "no, I am sorry but you are in the smoking area and I am allowed to smoke here" then the other mother says "you could trigger my daughter's ashma". Okay I say to myself, send the child into a medical emergency or keep smoking, so I put out the cigarette, not being up to an argument.

At that point they start to say the same things to the other smokers, well, lets just say they where not as shy about reminding the mother's where they where. Then a very nice couple reminded the mother's that their rude children has pushed me out of the way to get to the rail(they must have seen this) In very short order a cm came in and told the mother's that if they are in the smoking area, then they cannot expect that other's will not smoke for their comfort. See it goes both ways, as a smoker I always go where I am told to, too smoke, it's the right thing to do. However, non smokers must also accept that if they are going to be in the smoking area's there is going to be people smoking, that is what their purpose is for. I respect your right not to deal with smoke and go where I am told, but some non smoker's must also respect that if you are in the area we are going to smoke, weither or not you may like it.

As to the rude smokers who do not respect non smoker's STOP IT, go where you are told and deal with it.

That's so cool! I don't smoke (hate it!!!) but my partner does. As long as there are DSAs for him and other smokers to use, they have a right to use them. Although they did temporarily eliminate the DSAs during last year's Halloween parties. But that's mostly because they used some of those areas for trick-or-treating lines.

Your story reminds me of a self-entitled dad who tried to bully us out of the front of the monorail last March. We had waited for 20 minutes for space to be available up front. The CM directed us in. And then a kind of "we're the only people on the planet" couple came running at the front of the monorail with their stroller and tried to push on. The dad tried to roll the stroller into the front and have his child sit in front of us. The CM told him you can't bring a stroller up front (he made the mom ride with it in the main cabin), and that we were waiting there first and they were welcome to wait for the next monorail. The dad put up this big stink that there should be a way to "check a stroller" on the monorail, came in anyway, and then tried to push his kid in front of me.

Ryan and I had none of it. We sat on both sides all the way up front at the window--as we had waited 20 minutes to enjoy and which that dad could have done as well--and the couple continued complaining as we all got off in Tomorrowland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter