• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smoking in the Bathroom

ilovefh

Is it Disney time yet?
Ok this is not about what you might think!

Last night we got back to our room at SSR and the whole thing smelled like cigarette smoke. (none of us smoke) We called the front desk and they apologized profusely and said they were sending a manager with room deoderizer to come fix it and find out where the smell is coming from. Fast foward and hour (1am!) and no one has come yet. I call back and they guy on the phone says "Oh yeah, it just from someone smoking in their bathroom and it is coming through the vents into your room" Ok great, but now my room smells. He says "Don't worry, just close your bathroom door" Ummm, it was closed all day! "Just turn on your fan" Our fan is on a motion sensor with no switch. At this point I am a bit peeved and tell him it needs to be fixed. He says to call this morning and someone will come fix it.

Now my question is has anyone else experienced this? How can we fix this? The management didn't have many suggestions. Hopefully they can fix it today.

Do you mind my asking where you were staying?

And, again, another post this morning about Disney Lack of Service. It's so not ok. I hope they gave you a very gracious apology, and for sure comp your night or stay.

in all their properties, or is that just in the parks.
Shouldn't they have been more concerned about the source of that smoke smell?
Please share the rest of your experience.

in all their properties, or is that just in the parks.
Shouldn't they have been more concerned about the source of that smoke smell?
Please share the rest of your experience.

Yes, they are non smoking. Yes, it applies to all the rooms.

What do you want them to do, knock on every door until they find the person thats smoking? Thats unreasonable.

The one thing they could have done is bring some deodorizer. Above that, there isn't much they can do in the middle of the night.

For the person who asked, the OP said he was staying at SSR.

The thing that makes me angry is that people cannot follow the rules. Two years ago the folks in the room next to us would smoke outside of the door and it made our room smell.

If they know some people aren't going to obey the rules (which we all know) and if they know that some of their ventilation is intermixed, which caused smoke to go into other rooms (which we all know, so they should) then they should have a supply of portable air cleaners that they could bring to guests with an issue to use until the problem is corrected.

Back in the old days, people with serious health issues knew to request a non-smoking for medical reasons, and could be reasonably assured that their room would remain smoke free (I say reasonably assured, because it wasn't perfect). But now, since all the rooms are supposed to be non-smoking, that's not a request anymore, so someone with a very serious health issue could end up in real trouble. It's not enough for Disney to say "call back in the morning" or "we'll send someone in the morning". They need to have a procedure in place before something goes terribly wrong.

The thing that makes me angry is that people cannot follow the rules. Two years ago the folks in the room next to us would smoke outside of the door and it made our room smell.

As someone with a smoke allergy this annoys the heck out of me but doesn't suprise me. Why do some people think the rules just don't apply to them? :sad2:

Both dd and I have asthma. Deodorizer wouldn't help one bit. I once stayed at a non-smoking hotel for a conference. The room reeked of smoke upon check-in. I don't see how housekeeping could have missed it. I called the front desk to complain and they sent up an ozone machine while I went to dinner. It helped a little but not much. I ended up using my inhaler more than I should, and it made my heart race and made me feel jittery. I called the front desk again the next morning and they said they'd do another ozone treatment, they couldn't move me as the hotel was full.

The room still reeked that afternoon. I ended up propping the door open (the doors opened to the outside) and sat outside in the room for a couple of hours to let it air. That helped some. It was still a miserable experience. I seriously considered trying to sleep in the lobby.

Honestly they could have offered to move her. I would have moved in the middle of the night to avoid sleeping in a room smelling of smoke. Breathing is important.

Ok... this would totally ruine my trip. I am severly allergic to cigarette smoke and my step son has asthma. We would never be able to stay in a room with a problem like that. We would need to move...not because we wanted to but because we would have to.

To get off the smoking or not issues, and to try and get this back on track before it gets closed - it was the middle of the night (you said after an hour it was 1 AM so I'm guessing you called at midnight). Yes, it was a concern. But, if I was staying next to you and soudly asleep at midnight and Disney came knocking on my door to find out if I was smoking in the bathroom, I would have been hugely ticked off. And it's just my husband and me with no kids. I can't imagine having to answer the door with our two year old grandson in the room and him waking up.

I don't know what the procedures are for using the deodorizer but it could be possible that no one was available to do a complete cleaning to get rid of the smell.

Sorry for your problem but it's tough to do anything at midnight. And yes, I've had this problem at Disney before. At the Disney Institute which is now Saratoga Springs. Same thing. The guy next to us was smoking (it was a non smoking building at this time). I called around 11:00 to complain and I was told the same thing. But I knew who was smoking and their room was called since I knew they were still awake.

so sorry this happened to you.

don't know what I would do - very, allergic to tobacco - so don't even know if my voice would work.

it is to Disney's advantageous to find this person. he knows not to smoke - it is a rule -if he has to smoke - then put on his clothes and go outside to one of the sites.

they can charge him extra. some of the other resorts have a big FINE - $500.

oh it I have this problem would probably ended up calling 911 - then everybody in all 3 building would be woken up. fire department does not arrive quietly.

i think that is just terrible :sad2: both on the managers and the smokers part. i'm not too sure what more he could have done but telling you to close your door, i don't think that was the best solution. how about the smoker obeying the rules and not smoking! why should you have to move because of someone else's bad habit? sorry that happened to you, it is just awful so many people out there have no brains or manners.

hopefully your next trip will be better.:)

so sorry this happened to you.

don't know what I would do - very, allergic to tobacco - so don't even know if my voice would work.

it is to Disney's advantageous to find this person. he knows not to smoke - it is a rule -if he has to smoke - then put on his clothes and go outside to one of the sites.

they can charge him extra. some of the other resorts have a big FINE - $500.

oh it I have this problem would probably ended up calling 911 - then everybody in all 3 building would be woken up. fire department does not arrive quietly.

:rotfl2:

you could try asking them to move your room

Totally off topic--but I am going the "around" the same time you are & "trying" to get a good deal at AKL, but no luck! Do u mind sharing what your rate is per nite? You can PM me if you'd like!

Thanks!

Wow what a drag! We stayed there opneing night. Our non-smoking room was relocated when we checked it. We didn't notice because the room had never been occupied beffore, but at 11pm when we got back to our room, the people next door were chain smoking and our whole room had filled. They called it a smoking optional room and didnt think it would be a problem since it was never smoked in. Smoking required was more like it. We chalked it up to growing pains. Double drag that its just happened to you especially now that the resort is smoke free.

And I just don't get how smokers can be so rude and not get how their choices effect people around them.

...but I was the one doing the smoking. The (boy's rest)room I (and two of my buddies)was smoking in was designated a "non-smoking" (according the the junior high school policy)room. Somone (probably a snot-nosed little nerd) called the "front (actually the school office) desk" and reported me. The manager (assistant principal) came to the (rest)room and fixed (applied board of education several times to seat of learning) the problem! :rotfl2:

Would that work at Disney?:rotfl:

I was going to mention that at the BC this summer I was staying at a full balcony room and each morning when I would wake up there would be cig ashes all over from someone above smoking and flicking down on my balcony. I was terrified that I would be charged the smoking fee so I called to tell the desk and they were HATEFUL! Practicly accusing me of smoking and blaming it on someone else. I was furious - I have never touched a cigarette in my life. So I feel the original posters pain, I asked if they would please have house keeping clean the balcony as I like to eat my breakfast there and it was not done (or the person upstairs kept doing it). So I called again and I finally get really mad about them accusing me of smoking...

im a smoker and i would not "sneek" a smoke unless it was in the designated areas. would love to quit but its harder than you think....

i am aware of people around me and would never want to make someone elses trip unpleasant. especially kids.

Disney website says there is a $500 recovery fee if your caught smoking in your room OR balcony!!! enforce it DISNEY!!!! people that disobey the rules dont care about anyone but themselves.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter