Smoking co worker

One other thing I thought of is when she comes into my office I could just say lets step out to the conference room to talk because I am allergic to cigarette smoke. She is really a very sweet person and I don't want to hurt her feelings in any way.

OP - I'd just ask the co worker to stop coming into your office immediately after smoking because of your medical issues. Most smokers are pretty considerate and understand.

If she's following the policy the company has in regards to smoking there really isn't anything else you can do.

Good luck with that. I certainly wouldn't want to be 'that' employee. :sad2:

They aren't lepers. If they're following the guidelines put forth they have just as much right to smoke as you have in your choice not to. I have a hard time with smoke as well, but if she's following company policy she's not doing anything wrong.

Exactly.

I smoke..that being said, you say she doesn't work in your office She works outside of it If that's the case, she is probably smoking all day in her car or " out in the field" whatever her position is

Even if you have this conversation with her and she agrees/complies with your request, you are going to smell it on her I don't chain smoke, but I can occasionally smell it on my clothes and in my car I imagine if someone is allergic, or just is highly sensitive, to the smell there isn't much I can do about it even though I have a can of febreze in the car and " think" it works/helps

Not sure what is going to help your situation, just thought I'd give a smokers' point of view

I would want the boss to advocate getting a physician's note and spear head a change in policy, or creat a policy to protect the health of his or her's employees.

If she smokes at lunch or on break or before getting to work (like any smoker at my place of employment does) and its NOT on the premises there is not one thing the boss can do. They cannot require the smoker to quit and she is within her rights to smoke anywhere else.

If they do not have a no smoking policy and she starts this by telling the boss this particular employee is an issue, she will be causing a huge rift in her work place.

OP, would having an air purifier in your office or near you work? We have a co-worker that has a glassed in office and she has two (a bit of over kill) because 2 of the people in her department smoke and she has asthma so can't handle the smell of smoke on their clothing or person.

I don't think an air freshener would work unless I set it right on my desk between me and her. My husband smokes but only outside. He smokes in his car all the time as he is in sales and drives quit a bit. I never smell it on him. I don't know what she smokes or how many but she reeks.

I don't think an air freshener would work unless I set it right on my desk between me and her. My husband smokes but only outside. He smokes in his car all the time as he is in sales and drives quit a bit. I never smell it on him. I don't know what she smokes or how many but she reeks.

:faint:

Well, maybe he doesn't smoke as much as she does .trying to give this whole thing the benefit of belief.hard to believe its not on him too though. who knows :confused3

I just think it isn't something you are going to be able to do anything about No window in your office I guess ? I have heard of people having good results with an ionizer like someone else mentioned Possible to just meet her outside somewhere or does it need to be an indoor meeting ?
Can someone else meet with her ?

Now I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I never heard of the "smell" of cigarette/cigar on someone causing an asthma attack ...actively being by something lit I understand and I'm sure even some air fresheners/perfumes may be strong enough to trigger an episode Learn something everyday I guess

Hope you figure it out

Now I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I never heard of the "smell" of cigarette/cigar on someone causing an asthma attack ...actively being by something lit I understand and I'm sure even some air fresheners/perfumes may be strong enough to trigger an episode Learn something everyday I guess

Hope you figure it out

This happens to my wife at her hospital. If sees patients pre-op and they and the family are heavy smokers she has to leave due to the residual smoke causing an attack.

Not an air freshener, an air purifier. Two totally different things.

The brand of cigarette has a huge impact on residual smell.

This happens to my wife at her hospital. If sees patients pre-op and they and the family are heavy smokers she has to leave due to the residual smoke causing an attack.

Like I said "Learn something new everyday" Still trying to understand how her DHs smoking ( in his car and drives all day or outside the house it's GOT to be in his clothes, hair, etc) doesn't bring on an attack but seeing someone for a few minutes will even if a different brand of cigarette

OP get an air cleaner/ionizer I think that's your only option at work No problem at home ?

The co worker works out side the office so she is only here less than 30 minutes a day unless there is a meeting. I think I may say something to her next time she reeks. It is bad enough that I have had to take paperwork she turns in and copy it and shred her originals. My office is kind of the hub so everyone comes in here at least once a day for something. I can't ask her to not come into my office. I guess I could just say hey I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. Could you wait a while after smoking before coming into my office? I start to wheeze when I am around it.

Do you know the company policy? Not sure what kind of job you have. Is she there very day? Can you just not interact with her

Why would you go to your boss? Just tell her you are sensitive to the smell of smoke and ask her if she can not come in your office immediately after smoking.

This is what I did and it worked. She always waited about an hour before coming into my cubical after a smoke break.

She told me she had no idea anyone could smell the smoke on her after she smoked because she was around it all the time.

Ooops just saw your response about her not being in the office long so she can't wait. She needs to be told that you are allergic and it could cause a medical emergency.
Maybe she'll not smoke then until after she is finished with you and on her way out the door.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done. Unless a smoker showers and changes clothing after smoking and entering the office, they are going to have smoke smell on their person. No air filter/ionizer is going to take the odor off the person. Same with people who wear too much perfume.

Amazing how much things have changed in the last 30 years. First 12 years of my career there were no restrictions on smoking at work. Sat in a TV control room for 90 minutes a day between 2 chain smokers, literally shoulder to shoulder. .My lungs are a whole lot healthier now.

I thought you couldn't be allergic to cigarette smoke?!

That's crazy you can't smell it on your husband. When I am around smoke or in a room that's smoked in, I have difficulty even inhaling. I understand about your difficulties. I would just let her know that the smoke irritates your lungs and causes your asthma to act up- and that you would appreciate if she didn't smoke right before talking to you.

I have no words of wisdom here but chime in to report that when I saw the title "Smoking Co-Worker" I was not thinking about Lucky Strikes. Rather, my thoughts were prurient in nature.

I am not a smoker, but would side with the smoker here. He/she is allowed to smoke in the car.

For the OP the issue is on your end. Going to your boss for something like this is well odd It is not up to your boss/job.

Now you can politely ask the co-worker to maybe use a spray etc, but that might bother you more /shrug

Again I am not a smoker, but if they are smoking where allowed, you can't expect them to change or your job to do something about it.

Suck it up is my only advice.

It's called "third hand smoke" and it's a real thing. Google it.

It is not 3rd hand smoke. If she was sitting in the car with the co-worker, yes.

Being in the same room 10 mins AFTER they are done smoking is not 3rd hand smoke.

Did you even read what OP posted???

One other thing I thought of is when she comes into my office I could just say lets step out to the conference room to talk because I am allergic to cigarette smoke. She is really a very sweet person and I don't want to hurt her feelings in any way.

If you want to avoid hurting her feelings I would start by going to her- the source instead of going over her head.

I'm not sure what it is about certain smokers retaining the smell more than others. But some sure do. Maybe it's about how much they smoke. Or if they tend to do it in enclosed places (like a car).

My kids have had plenty of friends through the years with parents who smoke. But there were 2 in particular (from different families) who were really just putrid. If we picked the kid up, we'd have to put the window down. And that was just from them being around the parents. My son spent the night every now and then, and they would stay in the kid's room with the door closed....... and we would still have to send him straight to the shower when we got home.

I was in the same store with someone who reeked of smoke once and had to keep changing aisles to avoid them. But plenty of others smoke, and it isn't as bad. I really don't get it.

OP, I hope you find an answer. I like the air purifier idea. But I bet you can find a way to say something nicely and maybe they'll start delaying coming to your office after a smoke break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter