Smokers opinions only please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there will be rule breakers as with anything. But I honestly think you will find most people will comply with the new policy. However, people will need to understand that it will make the smoke on deck more noticeable due to the increased smoking at the DSAs.

Maybe I'm cynical but I do not. I think most people will smoke on their verandah. It's 11 pm and the kids are in bed, dad in his boxers and mom in her nightie.....time for one last smoke before turning in. Are they going to get dressed and head up to teh DSA or are they going to step outside on the balcony, look to see that no one is on the adjacent downwind balcony and burn one.

Maybe I'm wrong but I based my cynicism on the vast majority of people who break the law by speeding. IMO, if you have no problesm breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit you will have no problem breaking the rule of a cruiseline.

Maybe I'm cynical but I do not. I think most people will smoke on their verandah. It's 11 pm and the kids are in bed, dad in his boxers and mom in her nightie.....time for one last smoke before turning in. Are they going to get dressed and head up to teh DSA or are they going to step outside on the balcony, look to see that no one is on the adjacent downwind balcony and burn one.

Maybe I'm wrong but I based my cynicism on the vast majority of people who break the law by speeding. IMO, if you have no problesm breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit you will have no problem breaking the rule of a cruiseline.

I'm not going to risk a $250 fine. I will use a DSA. But hey, if I'm in my PJs you can either look away or deal with it.

popcorn:: Extremely entertaining and funny thread. Now we just need to merge the smoking, short in MDR, and kids in the adult areas into one thread where people can rant/ troll. That way I can toss my TV and go to that thread for entertainment.:rotfl2:

I'm not going to risk a $250 fine. I will use a DSA. But hey, if I'm in my PJs you can either look away or deal with it.

Average cost of a 7 day cruise in a verandah room in peak season is probably $7,000. I seriously doubt the risk of a fine is gonna stop that many people....any more than the risk of a speeding ticket, points on your DL and increase insurance rates stops people from speeding. People will consider the risk/benefit and make a decision. There will always be the type of person who buys travel insurance and there will always be people who don't.

Wow. Just, wow...... :(

Carrie, all the non smokers who requested the change, really have no idea how bad the smoke is going to get on deck 9.

When they start complaining about the DSA's now, lets see what DCL does. Will they ban smoke all together? I honestly do not think so, as they are going after the European market, and they still like to light up.

Carrie, all the non smokers who requested the change, really have no idea how bad the smoke is going to get on deck 9.

When they start complaining about the DSA's now, lets see what DCL does. Will they ban smoke all together? I honestly do not think so, as they are going after the European market, and they still like to light up.

Not a chance! A quick Google search and I found this:

Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III show that 43% of US children (aged 2 months to 11 years) lived in a home with at least one smoker.​

Wow, that is even higher than I thought. This is the biggest DCL demographic - families with children!

So if DCL banned smoking they would be slamming the door on 57% of their market.

Ask MOST smokers, and they will sympathize. In a situation like a Veranda, if you run into someone next to you smoking and inform them or ASK NICELY (nicely being the key word) about an allergy, and they will try and work with you to help you both enjoy your vacation.

But when you try and demand, guilt, or otherwise force a smoker, who is doing what they are allowed to do based off the rules in place to not smoke around you, That's where it becomes a problem.

Tell someone up front that they can only smoke in certain areas.... And they will be aware of the conditions placed upon them, and will try and abide by those rules. This includes the DSA's (which are likely to become MUCH smokier due to all the smokers now being directed to this location).

But when it comes to allergies, You can't depend upon someone else protecting you from what you are allergic too. Just like with a nut or food allergy you can't expect all potential allergens to be eliminated, You will need to take personal responsibility and make sure you are aware of where your allergen could be located, and take the precautions needed to avoid them.

Smoking is legal... so it could be considered a right, just like the right to drink alchohol, or drink soda, or any number of other not-so-healthy habits that people have.

But Disney, as the Private Property owner, also has the right to set some rules in place to try and restrict where you can partake of that habit. It's just like "No Food or Drinks allowed" zones for your soda habit, or other limitations they can set for other perfectly legal activities.

The issue that I believe most smokers are having with this policy change isn't the removal of the ability to smoke on a veranda and being forced to move all smoking activity to a DSA. If you smoke in this day and age, you are pretty much used to having limitations in place on where you can smoke. The issue is the drastic, and virtual last minute, change in the smoking policy.

If you smoke, It's pretty much a given that you are going to do the research to find out where you can smoke. This information can be a factor in your decision making process. Such as... Do you pay the extra couple hundred dollars for a Veranda room so you can smoke from your room without going to the public DSA?

But Disney has decided to apply this new policy change after MANY MANY people have made their deposits, Cruise related travel and trip arrangements have been made (airline flights. hotel rooms. etc), some cruises paid off.... and all of these decisions have been made with the understanding based off Disney's policy that smoking was allowed on the balcony.

With such a major change to a policy that can be a huge deciding factor for many smokers on who they cruise with, or what catagory they pay for... and to make that change with no warning after so many people are past a point of no return (without forfeiting money already spent).... That's what the complaints are about.

Think about it this way.... What if Disney decided that starting in 3 months no alchohol would be served or allowed onboard? I don't drink as much as I used too, so I could easily enjoy the trip without drinking on the ship. But there are MANY MANY people who do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, or a nice cocktail by the pool on their vacation. . If they knew in advance that they couldn't get their drinks on a Disney Cruise, Would they still have booked that Disney Cruise?

(And seriously... Don't go pulling the "they are doing you a favor by letting you do this" line. It's not really contributing anything to the discussion, and doesn't touch upon what I feel is the biggest factor here in that Disney made a big change to policy that impacts a group of guests after they'd been selling the rooms to those guests with the understanding of the old policy.... and with so little notice that many of those people cannot realistically change their plans based off the new policy's impact.)

This is by far the best comment so far on this thread. I am a current smoker with a cruise already booked for May. I have 2 balcony rooms reserved. I love to sit out on my balcony in the morning with my coffee and have a cigarette and just watch the beautiful ocean and my surroundings. I also like to sit on my balcony prior to dinner with a glass of wine and have a cigarette. I never smoke on my balcony if either neighbor is out on their balcony, just a common courtesy.

I am fortunate enough to have my cruise date set far enough away that I can cancel the cruise with no penalty. There are so many other cruisers that are not nearly as fortunate. Their trips are paid for, they have no choice. I ruled out 2 other cruise lines automatically when I read their no smoking on the verandah rule.

A cruise line has every right to enforce a no smoking policy on the verandah , however, it should be implemented at a time where there are no current reservations. I believe Disney has opened up all of 2014 for reservations( Not really sure of this) Why would they not implement this rule starting in 2015?

It seems as if Disney just said "the hell with all the smokers, lets start this new rule immediately" It just feels personal to a lot of us smokers. I am quite certain many people will disagree with my comments made here today, but these are just my thoughts.

Not judging/bashing at all here, but don't you think that this new rule just might be the catalyst some cruisers need to quit smoking altogether? We all look forward to our trips so much. Wouldn't the thought of the inconvenience and crowding in DSAs be the motivation some people are looking for? Not all, certainly, but maybe those who have been trying to quit?

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;49284986]Not judging/bashing at all here, but don't you think that this new rule just might be the catalyst some cruisers need to quit smoking altogether? We all look forward to our trips so much. Wouldn't the thought of the inconvenience and crowding in DSAs be the motivation some people are looking for? Not all, certainly, but maybe those who have been trying to quit?[/QUOTE]

Here is a shocker.....not all smokers want to quit! Many smokers love to smoke and have no intention or desire to quit.

But you are probably correct in that it might be the tipping point for someone who decides they are tired of being treated like a second-class citizen and quit....or try to. People used to think that you could tax people into quitting and so added the so-called "sin tax" on cigarettes. But all this did was hurt the demographic of blue-collar working class people who could least afford it. I'm sure some quit when the price hit $5/pack.....others would rather smoke than eat so cost is what it is.....kinda like gas.....you gotta have it so you pay whatever the pump is charging.

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;49284986]Not judging/bashing at all here, but don't you think that this new rule just might be the catalyst some cruisers need to quit smoking altogether? We all look forward to our trips so much. Wouldn't the thought of the inconvenience and crowding in DSAs be the motivation some people are looking for? Not all, certainly, but maybe those who have been trying to quit?[/QUOTE]

I smoke cigars to relax, if not for cigars I honestly feel I would have more stress in my life. Smoking a cigar makes me take an hour out of my busy day and just relax, read, or sit in my yard.

DCL just took a big piece of my vacation away not allowing smoking on the verandahs.

"Cinder" Ella's Mom;49284986 said:
Not judging/bashing at all here, but don't you think that this new rule just might be the catalyst some cruisers need to quit smoking altogether? We all look forward to our trips so much. Wouldn't the thought of the inconvenience and crowding in DSAs be the motivation some people are looking for? Not all, certainly, but maybe those who have been trying to quit?

There are bigger things that one would think would make a person quit but don't. DCL is at the bottom of the list. I have friends who couldn't quit during pregnancy. I even know someone who had a tracheotomy and still smokes.

I am fortunate enough to have my cruise date set far enough away that I can cancel the cruise with no penalty. There are so many other cruisers that are not nearly as fortunate. Their trips are paid for, they have no choice. I ruled out 2 other cruise lines automatically when I read their no smoking on the verandah rule.

This is not true. Disney announced this change 93 days before Nov.15, the day it takes effect. So most cruisers (with the exception of Concierge and some longer cruises), whether PIF or not, can cancel with no penalty. And Disney has already said that it will "work with" those that wish to cancel but are outside the Cancellation Policy guidelines. This leads me to believe that they will help those guests cancel as well (but I'm assuming, so we'll have to wait and see if they refuse someone).

I'm not weighing in on the rest of the thread or issues being discussed. I'm simply clarifying that it is possible to get all your money back if this is what someone wishes to do. Disney did not make this change 'last minute". They gave plenty of time and are making allowances for those that no longer want to travel with DCL. So......they KNEW their policy change would cost them some business. Clearly, they are not concerned that it will truly hurt their bottom line as much as some people posting here seem to think.

Just my observation. Peace :hippie:

The issue that I believe most smokers are having with this policy change isn't the removal of the ability to smoke on a veranda and being forced to move all smoking activity to a DSA. If you smoke in this day and age, you are pretty much used to having limitations in place on where you can smoke. The issue is the drastic, and virtual last minute, change in the smoking policy.

If you smoke, It's pretty much a given that you are going to do the research to find out where you can smoke. This information can be a factor in your decision making process. Such as... Do you pay the extra couple hundred dollars for a Veranda room so you can smoke from your room without going to the public DSA?

But Disney has decided to apply this new policy change after MANY MANY people have made their deposits, Cruise related travel and trip arrangements have been made (airline flights. hotel rooms. etc), some cruises paid off.... and all of these decisions have been made with the understanding based off Disney's policy that smoking was allowed on the balcony.

With such a major change to a policy that can be a huge deciding factor for many smokers on who they cruise with, or what catagory they pay for... and to make that change with no warning after so many people are past a point of no return (without forfeiting money already spent).... That's what the complaints are about.

Think about it this way.... What if Disney decided that starting in 3 months no alchohol would be served or allowed onboard? I don't drink as much as I used too, so I could easily enjoy the trip without drinking on the ship. But there are MANY MANY people who do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, or a nice cocktail by the pool on their vacation. . If they knew in advance that they couldn't get their drinks on a Disney Cruise, Would they still have booked that Disney Cruise?

This has been EXACTLY my point. When DCL tried to change the rule about carrying on alcohol, and it was "short notice" these Boards lit up like all the neon in Vegas. People went berserk!!! I thought at the time that DCL was truly spineless to retract that attempted change.

It's funny, now that smoking is the issue, no one (except smokers) seem to have a problem with the "short notice".

I say we take away the alcohol again and watch the tune change. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

This is not true. Disney announced this change 93 days before Nov.15, the day it takes effect. So most cruisers (with the exception of Concierge and some longer cruises), whether PIF or not, can cancel with no penalty. And Disney has already said that it will "work with" those that wish to cancel but are outside the Cancellation Policy guidelines. This leads me to believe that they will help those guests cancel as well (but I'm assuming, so we'll have to wait and see if they refuse someone).

I'm not weighing in on the rest of the thread or issues being discussed. I'm simply clarifying that it is possible to get all your money back if this is what someone wishes to do. Disney did not make this change 'last minute". They gave plenty of time and are making allowances for those that no longer want to travel with DCL. So......they KNEW their policy change would cost them some business. Clearly, they are not concerned that it will truly hurt their bottom line as much as some people posting here seem to think.

What about non-refundable/non-changeable airfare? Hotels with cancellation policies? :confused3

And again.......why is it OKAY that DCL gave this short a notice to ban smoking, but when they tried to give this short a notice on not allowing alcohol to be brought onboard, that was SO WRONG?

Plain and simple, there are far more drinkers out there than there are smokers. Majority always wins.

are you tasking into account that many people already have their air booked? many have booked their holidays from work? not everyone can change their plans on a dime.
I do feel that gong forward dcl will feel a price. might not be big but it will be there. we have two cruises booked for before nov 15 so we are going however the three we have booked for after may change and for sure I will not be rebooking while onboard.
I am able to wait and see what the smoking areas are going to be like because I do believe that it is going to affect the adult areas at the very least and i'm not sure I will like that. the smokers need some where to go and if this is what they are given than I don't begrudge them at all but it could change some minds about dcl travel.
just sayin.....

I smoke cigars to relax, if not for cigars I honestly feel I would have more stress in my life. Smoking a cigar makes me take an hour out of my busy day and just relax, read, or sit in my yard.

DCL just took a big piece of my vacation away not allowing smoking on the verandahs.

You can still do that on deck 4 after 6 pm.

Nancy

You can still do that on deck 4 after 6 pm.

Nancy

Have you ever tried to smoke a cigar on deck 4 while the ship is moving? It is not enjoyable.

I booked a room on the Wonder in the rear of the ship for our Alaskan cruise for a reason, I know I would be out there alot watching everything. My room in no way will send smoke to anyone's verandah, its impossible.

Please stop telling us smokers where to go, what we would like, walk with our heads down. It is not going to work for me.

I will smoke on my verandah during my cruise, and I will put the $250 fee away for it. I dare anyone to tell me the smoke is bothering them, its impossible for my room location for the smoke to go anywhere but out the rear. They also took Deck 7 "secret deck" away to smoke now also, I would go there alot to be alone and away from other people.

I smoke cigars to relax, leave me alone, especially if I go out of my way to stay clear of everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter