Smokers opinions only please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the links and info, I sent my complaint in.

I think the non-smokers will not be getting the result they hoped for, and will be very disappointed. As my parents said - be careful what you ask for!

Let's be realistic... this was only phase 1. Coming next are all the complaints about how the public smoking areas "ruin" the cruises for the non smokers... too smoky, smelly, drifts over the entire pool area when the ship is in port etc etc etc. I predict that the next goal will be to completely ban all smoking.

I'm a fairly recent ex smoker so not really affected ;) on the magic this summer they were planning to replace all the ashtrays on verandahs as part of the refurb .... Really hope they haven't gone and ordered all those unnecessary new ones :lmao:

I think there will be a huge complaint of all the smoking in public areas now .... I know from personal experience one smoke on a verandah could easily turn into a chain smoking chatting session if I got talking to other smokers in a public area. Also is there definitely somewhere not in the adult areas so people can at least watch their kids whilst they choose to smoke?

Someone should start a poll for smokers about what cruise line they are considering since DCL passed this new ban. Would love to see someone post the email address for smokers to complain.

Typing this post with a paper bag over my head as not to be recognized....lol My name is Denise and I am a smoker! Saying this, I booked my cruise not even taking the smoking issue into consideration. I figured there would be designated areas and I fully expected that I would just follow the rules. But now I feel like I will be drawing attention to myself if I even light up where allowed. Makes me a little sad.

What are your thoughts on the last minute change in policy? No bashing by no smokers please! I know smokers are always attacked on here but let's see if we can have a place to vent!

Three months notice is "last minute"? Seriously?

Yes it is in my opinion. People could have airfare and such booked. Considering people complain Disney releases there itineraries late and last minute but still a year out!

And let's talk about the Mediterranean cruises on the Magic...many Europeans smoke - there will be tons of complaints there!!!

My husband and I have enjoyed several DCL cruises and booked a verandah each time because we are both smokers. We were always aware of neighbors and were always considerate. The aft verandah rooms should be designated as smoking and if those are the only rooms left when a non-smoker books then that's their option. The morning smoke (for most) is the most important one of the day and one on the verandah late at night to unwind after a beautiful day is the best.

DCL should not impose this new policy until 2015. It's just not fair for everyone who has already booked with plans on enjoying a stress-free thought of "where can i smoke?" If I have to worry about where to light up (not like I can get off the ship) only in their designated small spaces while I'm spending MY money on MY vacation....no thank you DCL!!!

Well, I am kid of "meh" on the whole thing. I smoke, but not in my house, or car, or at work. We had a verandah booked on our back to back cruises next year, we will downgrade to an inside. We will save 1000, so I am happy to have the extra $.

The nice thing is it is a very social scene in the smoking areas. Something about mutual persecution brings us together :thumbsup2. I've met some really fun people over a shared ashtray.

I agree 100% with tinkerone and r_mccool. I am a non-smoker but DW is a smoker. We typically book a verandah room so she can smoke in the am and late at night. She is always considerate of our neighbors. In all of our cruises, I have never smelled smoke from adjoining verandahs. We also noticed on the Wonder PC cruise in May that ashtrays were only at the first four tables in the adult pool area - thereby creating a very smoky area. I can only imagine what it will be like with all the smokers having to share such a small place. In the future we will be booking oceanview staterooms and will be bringing our own ashtray to take to Deck 9! Will we continue to sail on DCL? Of course, but no longer exclusively. We will start looking at other options. I think the non-smokers will not be getting the result they hoped for, and will be very disappointed. As my parents said - be careful what you ask for!

Seriously... This.

Just look at all the complaints you get about DSA locations in the parks currently. "They took my favorite quiet spot and made it a DSA!"

Or even in the MK, the locations of some of the DSA's. There was a great DSA over on the walkway by the water between the Adventureland bridge and Liberty Square Bridge. They took it away to make it a M&G location and relocated the DSA smack dab in the middle of the main walkway along the water in Frontierland. (AKA... the route they direct EVERYONE down when the parade routes start getting set up).

a lot of nonsmokers complain about the smell of smoke, and then complain even louder when the smokers are trying to follow the rules they have been asked to follow.

...And Disney has an absolutely TERRIBLE track record when it comes to finding the best locations for those DSA when you look at the number of times they've put them either directly in the middle of high traffic areas, or places where due to the way the smoke will usually rise it ends up going as a big smoke cloud into the areas the non-smokers are going to complain.

Three months notice is "last minute"? Seriously?

For a cruise which costs as much as a DCL cruise, and requires so much planning and coordination for things like airfare, hotels, transportation, time off work, passports, etc.... Yeah. 3 Months is Last minute.

some Castaway Club members are already approaching their excursion booking windows. You also aren't far from PIF dates.... and with Disney Cancellation policies, You are already in a window which could make it difficult for someone to change or cancel their cruise plans without forfeiting some $$$.

I thought DCL would phase this in as you suggested, but instead they went with the 'rip the band-aide off quickly' method. People will gripe but will adjust very quickly.

I worked at a place where many smoked, and we went from being able to smoke anywhere (offices, desks, conference rooms) to being forced outside in about 2 months (they tried to allow limits, but the limits didn't work so they just banned all smoking in the building).

States have 'clean air acts' and don't allow smoking in buildings at all or at places of employment. Those laws go into effect all at once and people adjust.

Please do not take offense to this comment.... There is an enormous difference between a no smoking policy at the work place and a no smoking policy on a vacation cruise ship. If you are currently employed by an organization that changes their smoking policy, you have 2 choices, stay employed(which is how most of us live these days)or quit( definitely not an option for most of us)

When you choose to book a vacation on a cruise ship,( YOU choose your options, Not anyone else) there are some cruise lines that have already implemented this no smoking verandah rule. As a current smoker, I have already ruled each one these cruise lines out.
There IS a way to accommodate smokers and non smokers on a ship that holds 4000 + people. Disney certainly makes enough money to accommodate us all . If Disney continues to implement this new rule I will cancel all future sailings and look elsewhere. This is my vacation, not my job. I have options.

Are NCL and RCl cruiser friendly and allow smoking on a verandah???

I've never cruised on RCI, but I think through my research, you can smoke on the outside balconies, not the ones that face the new fancy inner courtyard area.

You CAN smoke on all balconies on NCL, except if you are on a ship that has the Spa Suites, and then there is no smoking on a Spa Suite balcony.

My cruise in January is on NCL....and I'm canceling next year's Disney. We'll find someplace else to go, and save money to boot!

How much are people going to complain when ALL of the smokers are forced to the small area outside of Currents and all of that smoke blows to the Adult Area and can be smelled all over the Adult Area .... all of the time???

I have a feeling it is going to be much worse that it was on the verandahs.

Will DCL enforce the new policy?? They will try, but it won't be 100%.

How many kids have you seen in the Adult Area? How many times have people saved seats by the pool? And not much is done about these. Yeah, these are not the same as a smoking policy, but they are still policies.

My mother smokes, and being able to enjoy her verandah is her #1 favorite cruise activity. DCL quickly became our favorite cruise line, and it broke my heart to see her so disappointed today when I told her this news. She won't cruise a line that won't allow her to do this. I just sent a complaint via the contact form on the DCL website, asking DCL to reconsider the ban and perhaps open up certain verandahs to smoking--such as those far aft or on one side of the ship. I have always taken the stand that everyone who pays to have a verandah should be able to use it how they please, and that includes smoking. Frankly, it makes so much more sense to have designated smoking verandahs so non-smokers can actively choose not to be located near them.

I pray every day for my mother to quit, but until then, she shouldn't be treated as second-class. I'm half tempted to say the heck with it, budget in the fine, and tell her to continue to enjoy herself when (now if) we cruise DCL again. But it looks like we're back to Royal Caribbean.

I think it's funny that they'll charge the $250 fee (one time only) "for cleaning"....which I can understand if someone smokes IN the room....but what's there to clean on the balcony? :confused3

If they're going to charge a fine, then it should be stated that it's a fine for violating the policy. I know, it's just the word usage...but it bugs me.

I posted this on the original thread. just my opinion.

Good luck trying to enforce the new rules with a fine unless they install cameras on the verandas to catch people smoking. How will they know when someone has smoked on a veranda? The only time I went out to have a cigar was at night when the next door verandas were not occupied. It would be the smokers word against someone who "smelled" tobacco somewhere on the veranda. I'm pretty sure it will cause hard feeling between neighbors if one turns another in for smoking and costs him an extra 250 bucks. Also the other issue is it looks like they increased the smoking areas on all the ships. That is going to cause many more complaints than smoking on the balcony. DCL is also trying to increase South American and European passengers. I'd like to hear that conversation with the Brazilian passenger who is told he can't smoke.

I posted this on the original thread. just my opinion.

Good luck trying to enforce the new rules with a fine unless they install cameras on the verandas to catch people smoking. How will they know when someone has smoked on a veranda? The only time I went out to have a cigar was at night when the next door verandas were not occupied. It would be the smokers word against someone who "smelled" tobacco somewhere on the veranda.

There better be more expected of evidence than a neighbor saying they "think" the person next door was smoking if they are going to charge $250. I can understand charging for the inside with the smell, but how would they tell if you were smoking on a veranda :confused3 of course not leaving a pack lying on the outside table with butts in a glass is a good place to start. If you smoke your clothes will smell whether you were in a designated area or on your balcony. How about my paranoid fear of the person above me flicking their butt out to sea so THEY won't get caught and it lands on MY balcony and now I would get fined even if I didn't actually smoke out there? Great now something else worse to fear than the red pillow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter