Smokers & Balconies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an ex-smoker who quit 1-1/2 years ago. My first 4 cruises were as a smoker. My last cruise (and the one coming up in 2 weeks) was/is as a non-smoker (and the money I've saved has paid for both cruises...I kept track!)

Anyway, yes, it is a pain to go to the smoking sections on the ship. I tried to as much as possible, but in the end, mostly ended up smoking on the verandah. If you can swing it, I'd get a verandah. At least early morning/late at night you don't feel too guilty when your out there smoking.....the other times I made an effort to go to the decks, but it was a hassle.

I appreciate all of the responses... some of you were very helpful!

OrlandoDisneyFan- yes, early morning/late night is really what I'm concerned about. We're big sunbathers so we'd be out and about all day most likely. I will suggest to my DH that if he quits he can pay for my cruise lol! We can technically "afford" the verandah with our points, but that's only if we borrow next years points... and considering we'll probably be engaged *sometime* soon, I feel like it's wiser to save up those points for that "special" vacation...

This is what I wondered also.

My mom is a smoker. I'm allergic to smoke and will have an asthma attack if I breathe in the smallest amount of smoke.

Right now we have a secret porthole room booked. My mom said she is fine with going up to the area on deck she can smoke on.

Honestly, I think not having a verandah room is safest for me. Her opening the door after smoking could cause some smoke to come in the room and I would have an asthma attack.

I'm trying out DCL after years of going to WDW because of smokers smoking around the resort in areas they aren't suppose to. I really wish Disney would have made AoA smoke free. It makes the most sense as it has mostly family suites. I'd be happy with any value resort being smoke free. I hope DCL works well for me as WDW has no plans for a smoke free resort.

Husband smokes and rarely do we get a balcony. Unless it is a FLR rate which has happened 3 times. Just off the Wonder smoked by the Cove numerous time and on Deck 4 at night only. Not a problem for hubby.

Thanks, I know where the smoking sections are, I am just wondering from the perspective of a smoker if it is a necessity to book a verandah.

We had a verandah and so did my mom. But she always went to the smoking areas when she wanted to smoke. I think part of being a smoker is the social aspect. My mom never smoked on the balconies because there were children around.

I would just like to take a moment to compliment those of you that smoke and take your non-smoking neighbors into such thoughtful consideration.

It's really refreshing to see comments about asking the neighbors if they mind, or being concerned about families with young children. I hope that I can show such consideration in any activities during my cruise that might impact those around me.

Thank you!

I wonder if making the balconies on one side of the ship non-smoking, and the other side smoking would be possible? Would it even be enforceable if they did?

We have a navigator verandah on the next cruise, and hoping for non-smoking neighbors!

This has been suggested MANY times over the last almost 14 years...and DCL has never chosen to act on the idea. I suspect that it may be due to difficulty in selling cabins on the "smoking" side when the non-smoking verandahs were sold out. Or knowing that if you had a gty, it would almost certainly end up on the smoking side. Ah well....

And many times, the difference between an oceanview and a verandah is $1000 or more!

Many ideas have been suggested over the years -- making one side smoking, making the rooms at the rear all smoking, etc. Problem is, if they make one side all smoking it prevents anyone from being on that side if they don't want to be around smoke and they might want that side. Many (myself included) find the rooms at the back of the ship their favorite and would't want them smoking only.

Also keep this in mind -- we have had a verandah on the side of the Cove Cafe where the smoking section is and actually had the air flow blow cigar smoke down onto our balcony from above. So you don't actually need someone next to you to get cigar/cigarette smoke -- it depends on the flow of the wind. And to those who are fretting, NONE of our experiences with smokers next door or above would ever keep me from spending the extra bucks to get another verandah! :woohoo: For my family, the pluses FAR outweigh the negatives of a verandah room.

Wow! Being a non smoker these are things I never even considered when I booked this cruise. Now my Navagator veranda on the Fantasy obstructed or not is looking better & better! The person next to me is in a Porthole room. :cool1:

Carnival had a completely non-smoking ship, the Paradise, for a few years. We sent my parents on it for their 40th anniversary and they loved it. They discontinued that though, I guess they had problems selling it, but it worked for awhile.

Carnival had a completely non-smoking ship, the Paradise, for a few years. We sent my parents on it for their 40th anniversary and they loved it. They discontinued that though, I guess they had problems selling it, but it worked for awhile.
They probably had trouble finding a non-smoking crew....

Several Cruise lines now ban smoking on their verandas. It is disappointing that Disney is not one of them.

Wow, I had no idea people were allowed to smoke on their verandahs. That is really disappointing and I will be really upset if we have smoking neighbours. That would ruin the trip for me and my family.

Unfortunately, my mother still smokes. She won't cruise without a verandah as result. As much as I wish she would quit, and that cigarettes would no longer be made/sold, there is no way she would cruise if she were not allowed to smoke anywhere. She has to have a fix in the morning and at night. If anyone comes out next door, she tries to finish quickly. When we're not in the room, she goes to the designated areas.

We pay the extra cash for the verandah for us to enjoy, and one of the reasons is convenience for her. It would be unfair for DCL to ban smoking completely, as much as I wish everyone would quit. Not to mention they would lose business. If a smoking neighbor is a concern, as long you ask very politely, I'm sure they'll try to be considerate to limit how long they smoke. Asking them not to smoke at all would probably not only not go over well, it's not fair to them, either, who paid for the convenience.

I went on the Paradise when it was non-smoking. It was a strange trip. When you reboarded after being in Nassau, they checked your bags for cigs and cigars, which they then locked up until we returned to port.
The guests were considerably older and the clubs were empty after 11:00. The ship was not very crowded either.
Must be why it is now not non-smoking.
All in all, I think Disney should ban the smoking on verandas and just leave it in designated areas.

We are in 6060 on the Wonder. I have no idea where this is in relation to the smoking areas on the ship. Should I be concerned about smoke blowing from the smoking areas?

Never understood why a non-smoker should accommodate a smoker. It is the actions of the smoker and their inability to overcome their addiction that affect those around them.
Why should someone have to schedule time so they can avoid breathing something other than the natural air around them?
Smokers are a shrinking demographic and the accommodation of smokers should end.

Oh no, I'm glad I read this. This may change my mind about taking a cruise at all. I assumed the rules were the same as at the resorts - no smoking on balconies. My daughter is extremely senstive to smoke giving her headaches and nausea. I must have a verandah because I'm claustrophobic. Bummer.

You cant tell me that this isn't affecting the inside of the cabins the way the smoke travels. What a shame.

Wow. I never even thought about the passengers that smoke. We have 3 cabins with verandas all right next to each other but they are at the very back of the ship, so hopefully if we do have neighbors that like to smoke it will blow either straight up or straight out and not sideways. Fortunately the kids room is in between mine and my sisters so they won't have smokers on either side of them.

Thank you to those that do smoke who are considerate to ask your neighbor. Where I work we have "NO SMOKING" signs every where near entrances and people either ignore them or just can't read so to see people are actually considerate of other vacationers is great. I hope if we do have smoking neighbors that they are just as considerate.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter