Smiles, Sand and Sunstroke!! A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime

:cheer2:Yay I'm definitely along for the journey on this one:woohoo:
Gotta love that BC/YC Thread- gets everyone excited for everyone elses trips as well as their own:rotfl: Cant wait to hear more popcorn::

I read some of your live updates on the YC/BC thread so had to catch the full story (but I'm a bit of a slacker and can take days to get back to a TR because I can't help subscribing to way to many! I will apologize now)

and we are 17 days from YC-CL!:cool1:

I read some of your live updates on the YC/BC thread so had to catch the full story (but I'm a bit of a slacker and can take days to get back to a TR because I can't help subscribing to way to many! I will apologize now)

and we are 17 days from YC-CL!:cool1:

Woot!!! You are so close! Come back and visit when you get a chance.

:cheer2:Yay I'm definitely along for the journey on this one:woohoo:
Gotta love that BC/YC Thread- gets everyone excited for everyone elses trips as well as their own:rotfl: Cant wait to hear more popcorn::

Exactly! We are all invested in making everyone's trip the absolute best...

I'm in! Can't wait to read more about your BC stay. :cool1:

Awesome! So glad to have you here!

I'm in. I love the BC. Such a great location. :thumbsup2

We couldn't believe how convenient it is. Thanks for reading along!

I'm in too! I can't wait to hear about BC CL. Hoping to upgrade to that one of these days!!:thumbsup2

It was absolutely fabulous to stay CL. We're spoiled now!

Count me in, Feckless! :woohoo:

Thanks for reading!!!

Day One in Disney!! (Part 1)

May 1st - the day that I’ve been anticipating and waiting for! We ended up getting up at 2 a.m. to finish off the last of the packing after having about two hours sleep. I was so excited it didn’t matter! The kids were extremely excited, and DD even packed everything for herself, and wouldn’t let me even check her suitcase. Control freak me had to take a deep breath and let it be! LOL I figured that if she missed anything, then they have stores in Disney, right??? ;)

The first leg of our flight was to Toronto, which took about 3½ hours. We all decided to watch the latest Sherlock Holmes movie, which kind of sucked. LOL The kids were tired and irritable, and were driving me crazy. We were all squat together in a row and it was pretty miserable. We finally arrived, and had 2 ½ hour layover in Toronto. We flew WestJet and had to collect our bags and re-check them at Terminal 3. The signs at Pearson Airport were terrible, and we had a very frustrating time trying to find our way around. At one point, we were walking down a hallway and had to take what looked like a freight elevator, with no signs in sight! With doing that, and getting through American customs and re-checking our bags, we didn’t have a whole lot of free time... We made it to the gate, and realized it was the right place when we saw all the other families! Finally, they called the Orlando flight. I was so excited! I think the kids were too tired to be excited, and the trek through Pearson airport wasn’t exactly a laugh riot. Once we boarded, we were surprised to see that there were no seatback TVs. Fortunately, the seats were more roomy which was helpful after our squatty flight to Toronto, and even more fortunately I had downloaded a season of the Simpsons on the iPad which made the kids happy! I was sitting next to a mother and a cute redheaded boy who seemed to be about 4. Well, I thought that sitting away from the kids would be better, but I had to listen to “Are we in Florida yet???” literally every 5 or 10 minutes. It got so bad that the mom pulled down her tray table, put her head on it, and refused to move or speak. OMG!!! :lmao:

The pilot came on during the flight, and told us to look out the window. Well, there was the castle and SSE! What a thrill that was. Unfortunately I wasn’t near a window for pictures... Finally, we started our final descent. We were all super happy and excited. We landed on time, at about 1 p.m. Florida time, which was about 12 hours after our day began. It was so incredibly lovely to head straight out, not have to collect our bags again, and we headed for the airport monorail. The kids were really excited to see that train! I didn't know how much DS would remember, but he remembered a lot. As soon as we arrived at the ME line, a CM came up and asked if we would like to do a survey, and that if we did, we would be given Fastpasses. Um, YES INDEED. LOL I left the line (there was nobody in the "line" anyway!) and headed to the desk. I was only asked my name, email address, and the date and time that I planned to go to MK. Unfortunately the senior citizen CM could not spell my name or email address to save her life, which added at least 5 minutes to the “survey”. I was afraid we would miss our ME bus but I still wanted to get those Fastpasses! In fact, the survey was just to pick our four favourite MK attractions. I didn’t realize that these would be the attractions that we would be given FPs for, or else I would have picked different favourites! LMAO! I ended up saying Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Philharmagic. I know, I know! Philharmagic??? What was I thinking??? LOL The lady gave me four yellow cards with “Fastpass” written on it:

StJohns-20120518-00184.jpg

She told me to check our email for the times for the Fastpass for each attraction. I was excited, but then remembered that there would be 8 of us that day at MK, and I was a bit concerned about how that would work out! Tune in later to see how it all worked out (more on that later)...

Finally, we ended up on the ME. We were all pretty happy!

ME2.jpg

GabeonME.jpg

Soon we were passing through the famous sign. Unfortunately the driver didn't slow down to get a pic. I told the family that we would have to stop at a couple of different resorts before we hit the BC - I think we went to Port Orleans Riverside and the Boardwalk, but I can’t be sure. I was too excited!

Finally we pulled up to the front of the BC at about 2:45 p.m. There was a nice lady who met us at the bus, and brought us to the check-in desk. We went in to the lobby and the first thing I did was to take a BIG BREATH IN. Ahhhhh... I had heard about the smell, but it was even more lovely than I imagined. I expected us to be brought up to the 5th floor for check-in, but they checked us in at the front desk. Fine by us! We are not high maintenance folks. And we got to have the nice cool water with the limes and lemons. Some pixie dust - we were upgraded from CL GV to CL lagoon view! Score!!! After we got our gold KTTW cards, we were brought up to the 5th floor to meet the CL staff and check out the lounge. It was cool to use our cards to get up to the 5th floor - the kids sure got a kick out of it. DD had changed into her swimsuit and dress cover up in the Toronto airport so she was desperate to get in SAB, as was DS. They didn't even want to look at the lounge so we headed straight for our room, 5667. Here are some pictures of our room:

sink.jpg

room.jpg

Here are some pictures of the gorgeous view!

View2.jpg

View1.jpg

We slathered on sunblock, and headed straight down to SAB!!! The kids were in the pool by 3:30 p.m., and I thought we had plenty of time to make our first ADR for Teppan Edo. I jumped in the pool and even tried the pirate slide, which was fun. There were a few bumps along the way down! The kids stayed in the sinking sands area mostly, and had a great time. DH and I got snacks at Hurricane Hannahs and I bought four refillable mugs. We found a spot in the shade, and relaxed! At about 5:30, the kids managed to drag themselves out of the pool, so it was back to the room for showers. I had gone back to the room to check on my gift buckets that I had arranged for the kids. CL staff said they were prepared, and one of them left himself to go down and get them. As soon as the kids got back to the room, they were so surprised! I can’t believe I didn’t get a picture! I suck!! LOL Pirates dog, gun, gift card, Mickey rice krispie treat, gift card, arcade card, Vinylmation, 2 pins for trading, and a Mickey helium balloon for DS, Cheshire cat, Nightmare Before Xmas charm bracelet, Mickey rice krispie treat, gift card, arcade card, Vinylmation and 2 pins for trading, and balloon for DD. I was happy to see that staff had filled up the basket with chocolate bars, Twizzlers and other treats for the kids! How nice!!

The resort is so huge, we did not have our bearings for the first couple of days. After SAB, the kids went on ahead of DH and got back to the room fine. DH (usually the navigator) got turned around and ended up on the 5th floor of the YACHT CLUB with a BC CL key!!! LMAO!!! Luckily we are staying in 5667 and there is no 5667 at the YC or else he would have tried to break into someone's room! He said a maintenance worker saw his yellow key and thought it wasn't working and made the elevator work for him. I told him that he was no longer holder of the map.

Once they got ready, DS HAD to check out the Lafferty Place Arcade with his new arcade card. DS found TWO Star Wars virtual reality games, so he was good to go. Once DD was ready and we dragged DS out of the arcade, off we went for our evening ADR at Teppan Edo.

Would we like it? Would we make it? Stay tuned...

Disney Day One (Part 2)

When I finally sand-blasted DS out of the Arcade (LOL), we headed for WS for our 7:30 Teppan Edo ADR. We left at about 6 so we would have some time to explore along the way, and to have time to hit the gift shop in Japan. However, DD got it in her head she wanted to do Maelstrom so there was a LOT of unanticipated walking! Unfortunately, neither DD nor I were wearing shoes for long walks. We paid the price later to say the least!!! We walked to Norway past France. 10 minute wait for Maelstrom, and so soon we were in the lineup for our first Disney ride! Kids loved it, especially the trolls. DS is a bit of a troll fan, as you can see here:

Troll.jpg

I loved the perfume in Norway, and was sure I would come back and buy it. However, despite our best efforts, we never made it back there!  Sad...
Dinner was fabulous. DH and I both had the chicken and steak combo, and I had a girlie drink which was nice, but nothing earth shattering. The chef was amazing - dinner AND a show, as my DH says. Here's my favourite picture of our chef:

TeppanEdo1.jpg

Onion Volcano:

TeppanEdo2.jpg

DS was super hungry, so he was getting cranky. However, he was trying to be zen about it.

Zen.jpg

Only thing at was annoying was that the chicken dinner for kids was $13, and if you substituted steak it was $25. Huh? Neither kid wanted chicken so the whole meal was very expensive. DS is not allowed soft drinks at home, but we were pretty laid back on holidays, plus he was SO TIRED we said he could have a Coke. However, we asked the server (clearly, I thought) to bring water and to not give him refills. However, she kept sneaking him refills - he actually ended up saying no to her himself (shocking!!! LOL).

After dinner I mentioned to the kids that I heard right here on Disboards that the Land was open after 9 for Soarin'. Also, DS had it in his head he wanted to go to Mousegears, thinking that they had the metal and wooden guns there. DS loves toy guns. I’m a total hippie, so I have no idea how I gave birth to a Cadet, but he is what he is!!! The kids were very excited that it was something that nobody knew about, so DS kept loudly announcing over and over again that we were heading for Mousegears, to throw other people off. Only Mousegears. LOL When we started walking down, Illuminations started. I was fascinated, but the kids had Soarin’ on the brain so we watched it while we walked!! :)

Soon, we found ourselves hot, sweaty, but in the Land! We couldn’t believe it when we walked in - the place was EMPTY. This was about 9:15. We walked straight through the line, and got on our spots. Here we are, SO EXCITED:

Soarin1.jpg

Soarin2.jpg

We rode front row, and decided to all take off our shoes, not just those of us with flip flops. It was awesome and was my tip of the trip! I decided to set the kids up for later by telling them to try to catch the golf ball. (more on that later!) We loved it so much that we went out, and came straight back through the line and rode it again. Ahhhhhh... We got front row both times! The second time we were on Concourse B and what I had read was true - the picture quality was worse there. But you know what? It's a magical, wonderful ride that we all just loved, regardless of any small problems.

After we left, we went to Mousegears. I can advise NO GUNS in Mousegears. DS asked that first on the agenda the next day would NOT be Epcot as I had planned, but DHS so he could get a gun outside the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. In my next display of Disney flexibility, I said OK. I think the fact that we already had 2 rides in on Soarin’ added to my ability to roll with the punches!!! :rotfl2: On the way back to the BC, DDs feet were so sore she had to take off her flip flops. DH was sweet enough to give her his shoes and walk barefoot. What a daddy!! I can attest that Disney sure is clean, because his feet really weren’t that bad when we got back. Everyone was SO tired, I knew that there would be no rope drop the next day. The kids were asleep before their heads hit the pillow. We had been up close to 24 hours at this point!! Now that we did Soarin’ in style, I didn’t mind one bit about sleeping in. Right before they went to sleep, I overheard this little gem from my normally warring kiddos: "Mommy worked so hard on this vacation, so let's not ruin it for her. Truce?" The Disney Magic continues!

Next up: Will the 9 year old ride TOT? Will DD enjoy DHS? Will our feet survive? What will it be like crowd-wise???? Stay tuned...

I would be totally excited to get into SAB right away when I got to the BC too!

How awesome that you were upgraded. We never get that kind of pixie dust.

Your chef looks awesome! That's one of my absolute favorite things about eating at Teppan Edo.

I have often been in the position of my feet hurting and walking through WDW barefoot.

Sorry to hear about the footwear issues! Have you seen the most recent Modern Family? They went to Disneyland and they had a footwear issue also. I always make sure my family doesn't do something like wear flip flops in the parks. You have to wear sneakers if you plan on spending more than an hour or so in the parks. Anyway, live and learn I guess.

Fantastic news on Soarin'! Since we've done this ride a couple of dozen times out here, riding it wasn't high on our list but if the "secret" about the land pavilion being open doesn't get out by next month, we may do just that!

Keep up the great TR!

Lovin it all so far:) Cant believe how much you got done on your first day:worship: We also have a looooooooong travel day but we are normally to be found falling asleep at a dinner table somewhere while we wait for our food to arrive-only the growling of our tummies keeps us awake:rotfl:

Great first day!!!

Sorry about the issues at the first airport. Not the best way to start a trip. :(

Yeah, for your arrival! And the upgrade! And the gift baskets (which I know you worked so hard to arrange)! And a dip in the pool!!!

:rotfl2: at your DH getting lost and ending up in the WRONG resort!

I had kind of a similar issue after my family's first swim in SAB. I wanted to stay a little longer than they did, so everyone left. With ALL the keys. I was stranded all wet in the freezing lobby with no way to get to the CL floor. Teena to the rescue!!!

I always consider arrival day as "bonus" day- cool that you got to ride Maelstrom and Soarin (twice).

Thanks for the continual reminder that Soarin is "open at the close". I don't make it to the Theme Park boards much and I keep forgetting. I'll pass this info along for our school trip, if the principal will let me! We are told there is no curfew that we can stay and watch firework shows, but I bet he doesn't mean we can stay for EMH, which is 2 am at MK one night!!!

I love Teppan Edo, but it has been a long time since we have been.

Looking forward to more!

:thumbsup2 on the kids forming a truce to reward Mom for a trip well planned and executed! Let's see if that lasts.

Great update!

Love that you could just walk on to Soarin (even with sore feet!).

Teppan Edo was our favourite restaurant experience on our last trip so it was fun to see your pictures.

Great first day, but phew - was that a long one. 12 hours to get to Orlando. Oy! Where do you live in Canada? Maybe you mentioned it so I should go back and reread.

Your room view is gorgeous. Funny that your DH ended up in the YC.

Score on the bonus rides on Soarin. I seriously did not know you could still get on Soarin after 9pm so thanks for the tip! Maybe I need to check out other areas of the DIS besides the TR section.

Great first day, but phew - was that a long one. 12 hours to get to Orlando. Oy! Where do you live in Canada? Maybe you mentioned it so I should go back and reread.

Your room view is gorgeous. Funny that your DH ended up in the YC.

Score on the bonus rides on Soarin. I seriously did not know you could still get on Soarin after 9pm so thanks for the tip! Maybe I need to check out other areas of the DIS besides the TR section.

We could have gotten to Orlando way faster with a direct flight but they only flew on Sundays... Plus we wanted the lunchtime arrival so we could enjoy the first day, and enjoy we did! :)

I think they are keeping the Land open while TT is down... Beats the singers! :rotfl:

Dee and Janet, thanks for keeping up! :cool1:

Forgot to add two pics we took as we walked in to Epcot - we loved being there during Flower and Garden!!

Pooh.jpg

monkey.jpg

First night ROCKED. :)

I am in! I loved your live reports and it has made me even more excited for our BC stay in 28 days! I am almost wishing we were starting the vacation there and not CR now!

I love the view you had from your room.

Enjoyed reading about your first day and am looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter