Small P&S suggestion

DisFam95

DIS Veteran
I've lugged around my DSLR and lenses for years on vacation and I'm just tired of it! I just want to focus on my vacation and my kids! I admit I've gotten used to the convenience of my smart phone for pics but of course the battery stinks and quality ..well..you know.. not the same.

I'm a Canon girl but I'll look at anything. I had a G11 years ago but either I or my son lost on on the DC metro - we don't know who had it last :(

I've looked at the Canon G7x. It's a bit higher than what I'd prefer to spend right before the trip but my birthday is this month so I have that excuse :goodvibes. Love the small size. I see there's the cheaper G16 but my local Best Buy (just where i'd go to check it out) doesn't it. Any comments between the 2?

Any other great recommendations?

Thanks!!!

First question, what's your budget? Second question, are there any features you really really want and third, what's the max size you want to carry around? Nothing against Canon (hey, I'm a Canon girl myself :) ) but if you are looking at something completely new, there may be better options in your budget than a Canon. I can only compary prices Euro prices (size I am in Europe) but there are quite a few P&S that produce better quality at less cost.

Good questions. Well the price of the G7 is about $650 (586 euro) and that would be my max for sure. Ideally I was thinking around $500 (450E) but I have some extra weekends scheduled to work so I can soften the damage. If I dont need to spend it that's fine too :)

Features: I'm not sure really. Everything now seems to be so feature rich! I do want video capability, don't need wifi, good low light, fast start up. Doesn't have to have major zoom - I always crop and edit in post if my subject needs it.

I'm not sure I have a max size in mind. I'm coming from a DSLR kit so anything is smaller. I know I thought the compact G7 looked super nice!

Thanks!!

The g7x is the cousin/copy of the Sony rx100 series. If you can live without frills like wifi, the original version of the Sony rx100 is still an excellent camera and can be found under $400 new, under $300 used.
Those are among the very few point and shoots that can give you near-dslr quality. (I'd say in some cases, better than kit dslr quality).

I love my Sony RX100. I am new to "better" photography, and wanted to get my bearings with a great p&s. With much research, to include going to past threads here as a lurker, I fell in love with that camera. I was surprised with it on Mother's Day, and believe it will make a great camera for our trip coming up in August to the World. We did spring for the Wifi capability, as we are social media addicts, and sometimes love to share a picture instantly. The play memories software on my phone is easy to use, and is very quick for uploading.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I am still learning everything mine can do.

So, I'm a Nikon shooter, but their product lines are similar enough, so I'm going to translate my experience over to their Canon versions. First thing's first, if you like your DSLR, keep yourself within the Canon line. It keeps the color rendering and workflow the same, especially if you ever shoot raw.

I own a P7100 and P330, which are roughly equivalent to a G16 and an S120, and to be honest the P330 gets out much more. It's genuinely pocket sized, and has a great amount of versatility for something that fits in a cigarette pocket. By the time you're carrying something the size of a G16 or G7X, you may as well jump directly to a DSLR, which has a much larger jump in image quality. Both the G7X and G16 start getting away from being a, "Pocket," camera, much like the Nikon 1 series. Sony executed much better on pocketability in their RX100, which is great but has the downside of being a more jarring transition to and from a Canon DSLR, with a quirky menu system that isn't super well thought out.

Another possibility, if you're okay buying used, is a Canon EOS M, M2 or M3 with 22mm Pancake lens. It's bigger than the G7X or RX100, especially with lens, but not so large it doesn't fit in a jacket pocket, especially with the 22 mm pancake lens, and with an adapter accepts all EF and EF-S lenses, making a great compliment. Unfortunately, not available new in the US through the usual authorized resellers.

My personal recommendation though is the S120. It's really hard to go wrong with it. :)

I've lugged around my DSLR and lenses for years on vacation and I'm just tired of it! I just want to focus on my vacation and my kids! I admit I've gotten used to the convenience of my smart phone for pics but of course the battery stinks and quality ..well..you know.. not the same.

I'm a Canon girl but I'll look at anything. I had a G11 years ago but either I or my son lost on on the DC metro - we don't know who had it last :(

I've looked at the Canon G7x. It's a bit higher than what I'd prefer to spend right before the trip but my birthday is this month so I have that excuse :goodvibes. Love the small size. I see there's the cheaper G16 but my local Best Buy (just where i'd go to check it out) doesn't it. Any comments between the 2?

Any other great recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Another option is the Canon M (original M1) - takes all the Canon lens with adapter ($35), the original M1 is on ebay for $250 which includes 22mm pancake lens

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/

I'm a nikon shooter also, but I love my Sony rx100. I have the first version. I pack it around at disney when I need a break from my heavy gear. It does a fantastic job!

If you still have some Canon lenses, I think the EOS M could make a great addition. I just got mine to go smaller from DSLR when I don't want to lug around the big one but still want the same quality and use my lenses. I really love the M.

If you don't have any lenses, I'd also recommend the Sony RX100. I did look at it as an addition to my DSLR and if I hadn't been able to get the EOS M, I probably would have gone for the Sony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter