slo’s WEDNESDAY 4/17 poll - Aquariums (at home) 🐟🐠

Aquariums - Do you have/had salt or fresh water and do you like it or not? (m.c.)

• I have a fresh water aquarium (tropical fish)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a salt water aquarium

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have a fresh water aquarium (goldfish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had a fresh water aquarium (tropical fish)

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I had a salt water aquarium

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I had a fresh water aquarium (goldfish)

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I’ve never had any type of aquarium

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I love(d) or like(d) it

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I don’t or didn’t like it

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Aquariums….they sure are nice to look at, but they can be a real challenge to keep clean, and to keep what’s inside living. Some people like the challenge and others want no part of it. Where do you fit in with this? Tell us….

Do you have an aquarium?
If yes…is it salt water or fresh water?
Do you enjoy it or do you wish you could get rid of it?
(m.c.)

For Me……In our 29 years of marriage we’ve had both types of aquariums. They were my DH’s, so he took care of them, and they were a pain in the butt - controlling the algae, making sure the PH levels were ok, making sure certain fish could live with other fish and etc. The last one we had was a salt water aquarium and it was a money pit - we were constantly spending money on it. My DH finally sold it, and I was so glad. I never, ever, want another one unless I win the lottery and I can afford for someone else to take care of it.

ETA…..both my girls also had a small tank for goldfish in their rooms - that was a pain in the butt too - LOL!

IMG_1612.jpeg

I tried a goldfish bowl when the boys were young but the fish didn't get along with the kitties.

My parents had pain in the butt and yes there are money pit
DD insisted on having them see sentence above because it was same - she got tired of it someone else in the house took it over they got tired of it we finally got rid of it I never want to see another one again in my house

My dentist has some and they are absolutely gorgeous and I enjoy looking at fish as long as somebody else is taking care of them

I had a large goldfish bowl with a nice bit of gravel and a castle and some ferns on the bottom. My goldfish was named Zeus (I didn't name him), and he had a great personality for a fish. He would always swim up to the front of the bowl wiggling like a puppy whenever he saw me...probably associated me with the fish flakes that magically appeared whenever I was around. He would also let me stroke his sides-if I put the tip of my finger in the bowl he'd swim up and l'd caress his sides and his fins. I was given Zeus by someone who had him before me who didn't want him anymore, so I don't know how old he was, but I had him for over two years.

One day I walked up to the bowl and he had died, fat and happy. He was flushed down the toilet with great ceremony by my cousin, who was about twelve at the time, and I cried a little because he was an excellent goldfish.

I almost always have had a fish tank, up to 4 at a time. I had tropical fish and gold fish. I love to see fish. Now I have an outside pond with goldfish and koi.

We are on vacation and there’s a problem, 6 fish have died while we have been gone. The pond company will be coming to look either Thursday or Saturday. :fish:

I've had fish in the past, but it was honestly more work than they were worth.

I had a plastic gold fish bowl from K-Mart for my kids. I think the fish cost more than the bowl.

At the moment , we have a running tank without fish in it. I voted other.

Our son had gotten the goldfish at a school fair years ago. That was the start. Little bigger tank, little bigger tank. Then about 15 years ago , we come home from a disney trip our DS had set up a 30 gallon tank, new stand, new stuff, new fish ----JUST FOR US. ( we didn't ask for a fishtank LOL) Yes, it can be a pain in the butt. So fish come and go. We were down to a catfish that about 6 inches long and it stayed that way for about a year. Months ago it died. A month ago, I took fish tank apart, cleaned all the components, will get new fish soon.

I have had a freshwater tank in the past and I'm... ambivalent about it. I enjoyed watching the fish, but I did not enjoy cleaning it, etc. However, it was only a 3 gallon tank and the fish we kept in it (platys) were pretty easy-care, so it wasn't THAT bad. When the kids weren't interested anymore, I dismantled it and gave the remaining fish to my dad. I doubt I'll get another tank.

My dad (now in his 80s) has always had a freshwater fish tank since he was a boy. His current tank is about 70 gallons now, and at certain times, he's had several auxiliary tanks going (an "isolation tank" for new fish or fish he's afraid might be sick, a "maternity tank" for pregnant fish so their babies don't get eaten, etc.) When my parents were "snowbirds" he had a whole contraption set up to transport his fish 24 hours by car back and forth to Florida -- complete with heater/filter etc. He loves those fish!

My mother, on the other hand, does NOT love the fish. She confided once where she has a recurring nightmare where the tank breaks and the fish chase her through the house!

I had a beta fish about 20 years ago. His name was Snoopy, and he lived for a few years. Zero desire to have fish ever again.

I had 4 - 55 gallon tanks in the past.
One with African Frogs, one with Piranha, one with Oscars and a Pacu and one with axolotl

Would like to get tanks again, but they are a lot of work

I love aquariums and have had a dream for many decades of having a wall of fish. I don't think it'll ever happen since DH absolutely hated my various aquariums. I've had four in total (not counting all of the goldfish bowls), although DH has only been involved with two of my tanks.

I had a mini tank in college where I had an African jeweled cichlid. I later used that little tank to breed guppies to feed some of my South American cichlids. I had a community tank after college (about 30 gal) with things like Jack Dempseys-Salvini-Pink Tailed Chalceus- Bosemani rainbows- clown loaches- pleco. I think the Salvini cichlid was replaced with a Texas cichlid at some point. I also remember a green severum in the mix. I got the kids a 10 gallon tank for a fancy goldfish and a bright blue snail (after learning that goldfish really need good filtration to last). The tank that I loved the most and created the most headaches was this special 50 that I owned for a while. I had African cichlids in there and they were heavy breeders. It was filled with all kinds of colors...until the day the tank seals failed and we came home to a massive puddle on the floor and a lot of dead fish. That's when DH said no more fish.

I would love another tank of Africans, but the two main dreams (aside from the wall) are...
1. Something saltwater with several triggerfish. I love all triggers!
2. A freshwater tank with discus.

I’ve had goldfish and catfish in the past. One larger aquarium when the kids were little and a smaller one in our son’s room. We haven’t had a tank in about 10 years now. I love looking at aquariums and colorful fish, but it’s just too much work.

I vaguely remember having one as a child. Before white noise generators, the sound of the pump and water was so relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter