slo’s TUESDAY 3/19 poll - Decorative Mirrors

Decorative Mirrors - Do you like them and how many hang in your home? (m.c.)

• I like them

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • I somewhat like them

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • I don’t like them

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • I have no preference or opinion of them

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I have none

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I have 1 - 3

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I have 4 - 6

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I have 7 - 9

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have 10 or more

• Other - please post your answer

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
I love decorative mirrors - I always have. I’d love to have them in every room of my house, but I don’t want guests to think I love looking at myself all the time :lmao:

How about you….

Do you like decorative mirrors?
(this doesn’t include your standard bathroom mirror, unless it’s decorative)
How many do you have in your house?
(multiple choice)

*Bonus points for posting a picture of your favorite one.

For Me…..As I mentioned above, I love decorative mirrors. I have 3 in my house. My favorite, and most precious possession in my home, is my grandma’s mirror (pictured below). My grandma bought this in 1943 and when she passed, everyone knew how much I loved this mirror, and so it went to me. It hangs in my front room/living room close to the front door. If there’s ever a fire, it will be carried out the door with me as I leave. Also, those roses below the mirror, were my grandma’s too. I have many things of hers - we were very close and I love my daily reminders of her around my house ❤️

IMG_3585.jpeg

Last edited:
I have one on the wall right by my front door so I can check to see if I have food in my teeth or on my face before I open the door when the doorbell rings. It’s very handy. :)

The one we have was my Uncle’s, and I have it to remind me of him. It has etched flowers and leaves. It’s very pretty, it’s round, and it’s in a spare bedroom where I have many plants. I like it a lot.

I have one which also belonged to my grandmother. Unfortunately, we had a house fire in the 80s, so it is smoke damaged, but we kept it. It hangs in the basement and sort of fits in with the dark paneling down there.

My wife thinks every wall should have SOMETHING on it. I think a few walls with nothing on them is just fine. We paid good money to have the walls painted and textured, and in our family room we have some beautiful (and expensive) wood paneling that really doesn't need anything hanging on it.
So of course, EVERY wall has something on it, including a few decorative mirrors that are located in places where they can't be used JUST as mirrors..

Reactions: slo

I think we have two, not counting bathroom or over-dresser mirrors. One in the living room and one in the upstairs hallway.

I like mine....or I wouldn't have them ;)
I think it depends on the mirror.
I have 2. One etched on in the dining room and another small one in one of the bedrooms.
I'll try to post picture later

Adding pictures
Dining room, but a lot of reflections from other things
20240319_055635.jpg
guest bedroom
20240319_055926.jpg

Last edited:
We have one over the fireplace, and there's one in the basement bathroom that has a 30s style Mickey Mouse movie poster painted on it.

We only have bathroom and attached to the dresser mirrors.

I hardly look at a mirror . I wear no make up and wear my hair in a braid. No mirror needed. I’m hoping DH will tell me if I have a smear of dirt, food and or paint on my face before leaving house.

I like them, but I tend to gravitate towards smaller ones that are more accent pieces...nothing like my grandparents' big decorative mirrors in main living areas. I did channel the decorative mirror vibe in the last handful of bathrooms we've redone. Not my picture (or my bathroom), but I'm especially fond of the barndoor style mirrors we got to go over the separate sinks in the master bath. In that reno, we added a dark wooden barndoor to the main bathroom entry and all of the fixtures are black, so these mirrors really carried along the look.

1710853527677.png

Everyone still thinks this one is kind of nuts. I repainted it black (it's more of a dark brown) and refinished the hardware silver. We have a small bathroom that was painted contrasting shades of darker gray to make the black and white art deco tile floor really pop. I wanted to brighten it up, but there's only so much lighting you can put in a space like that and there's zero possibility of natural light. So, I found a decorative mirror that mimics a window. The actual main mirror over the sink is pretty basic...just a rectangle with a black frame. It came with the cabinet/vessel sink/faucet combo we bought.

1710853286995.png

I have a couple in the house. They are like the window mirror above. Our house is recessed into a hill, so one of the bedrooms on the lower level only has one real window. I balanced it out by hanging the two window mirrors one above the other to mimic a sash window, with a valance matching the one on the real window, to reflect some of the natural light back into the room. I painted the framework an antique gold on mine.

Other than that, there are just the standard bathroom and dresser mirrors.

Unconsciously, I collected mirrors earlier in my life. My Nana had a Venetian wall mirror that was popular in the ‘30s; a gesso gilt frame from a consignment shop and a pewter bead framed mirror that belonged to Mom that elder sister and I are still sleath fighting over. All belonged to me at sometime and were sold when we downsized. Oh and that doesn’t include the various hand mirrors from different eras that were hung on the walls mostly.

I’m trying not to succumb to this beauty which is not in style with the rest of the decor but could bring a whisper of eclecticism back:

1710856567347.png

Had a large one over a fireplace in a previous house. I think that was it. And for some reason it was stored in the basement rather than put over the fireplace in the next house. Both houses had lots of windows so maybe they took the place of some mirrors?

We have 1! It’s white and kindy wave-y. Very beachy. Doesn’t really go with the decor of our house but I like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter