• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s MONDAY 11/21 poll - Guest, Host or Neither

Thanksgiving Day/Meal - Are you a host, guest or neither?

• I’m a Host

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I’m a Guest

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • Both - One meal I’m a Host and another meal on a different day I’m a Guest

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Neither - We go out for dinner on Thanksgiving

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Neither - We eat Thanksgiving dinner with only those that live in our home

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Neither - I/we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Neither - I stay by myself for Thanksgiving

• Neither - I’m out of town this year

• Neither - I do something else for Thanksgiving - please post what

• Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
Neither. I'll be celebrating with my immediate family. We've always done smaller, low-key holidays and I prefer it that way.

I'm a guest, but close enough that I can contribute hot dishes. (I'm on mac 'n cheese and pea casserole this year.) My house is not set up for hosting.

Usually a guest but “Thanksgiving” was cancelled this year. I’ll be home alone. I’ll be making a copy-cat version of the loaded baked potato from Carnation Cafe at Disneyland and watching movies.

Anyone got suggestions for “Thanksgiving” movies?

Charlie Brown, definitely! I like the main one, but also the Mayflower one they sometimes show after.

IIRC, The Waltons TV show had a Thanksgiving movie or two.

And Miracle on 34th Street is technically a Christmas movie, but it opens on Thanksgiving, and the first few scenes take place then.

I am neither host or guest. My DM who lives close by stays over a lot especially around holidays so she is not alone and it will be just the 3 of us for dinner.

On Thanksgiving? Neither. Just my wife and I.

On the Saturday after? Host. We have done our actual Thanksgiving on the Saturday afterwards for 30 years because Thanksgiving was a normal work day for my wife and I. This is our second Thanksgiving of retirement, but our only guest will be our daughter and Thanksgiving is a normal work day for her, so it still makes sense. My son, DIL and (now) two Granddaughters moved 400 miles away last year, and traveling 800 miles round trip with little ones is asking a bit much.

Reading all these replies, reminded me of years ago working as a cashier at a grocery store. There was a mother and daughter. maybe 75 and 55. Shopped every two weeks, bought fresh food first week, second week ate frozen, canned food. This was way before ubers. One year, the daughter asked me if having frozen turkey tv dinners was good enough for Thanksgiving. It was like she was asking permission or confirmation. Knowing how they lived and could afford, I gushed what a great idea. You can enjoy the day, watch the parade and not spend all day cleaning up. Was really sort of sad. Not about the food, but that she felt she needed to ask. Maybe she felt she wasn't doing good enough for her mother.

We live too far away from family to make it reasonable to have Thanksgiving with them. Most of our local friends have local family. So we celebrate with just us. We'll see family at Christmas.

Thanksgiving was just going to be the four of us in my immediate family. This is my son’s fall break and my husband took the week off from work because we were going to use this time to do everything we need to do to catch up on life — doctors appointments, Christmas decorating and cooking, gift wrapping, and finishing a two-bedroom renovation we’re working on. My husband was going to handle cooking the Thanksgiving meal because I was already overwhelmed by everything else I had to do. He came home yesterday from a business trip and tested positive for Covid. :sad: So now my house is an undecorated construction zone and I’m trying to chip away at it by myself while caring for the kids alone. I don’t know that a Thanksgiving dinner is going to happen at all now, but if I do manage to throw something together it’ll just be the kids and me and my husband will get a plate outside his bedroom door.

Used to be a guest, my extended family all got together every year. Now we live across the country from our families so all holidays are just our immediate family. Me, husband, and kids.

Technically "Host" but it's just 5 of us, so it's not like it's any formal thing. Our DD and DGDs live just a little over a mile away, so it's not like we don't see them often, or they expect the red carpet treatment.

It does happen, Sandy. We will be going to Vince's for Thanksgiving. We had it for years and years For probably the past 10 years or so, Vince's. He loves to cook. Marie will be bringing homemade bean dip that gets eaten like in 15 minutes. Everybody loves it. And she'll make/bring a number of other dishes plus some desserts.
Updating this here, Sandy. Just got a pneumonia diagnosis yesterday. Was feeling punk and lethargic for a day or two, achy shoulders and upper back. I was concerned about the flu, even though I had my senior dosed flu shot a month or so ago. Went to a major intermediate care location. Over 90 minutes, they asked all the standard questions, did the vitals, took a combined 4 virus PCR swab (COVID, Flu A and Flu B and RSV). Those results, over night, were all negative. They did EKG and chest X-rays. The X-rays showed some pneumonia. So, now I am on an antibiotic. My plan is to drive Marie out to Vince's (still a guest, haha). Leave and then come back when the party is over. Always something. :confused3

@Dan Murphy , I hope you get well soon!

We share being hosts with my DSis, and DD-in- law … so lots of help. Our special guests will be Coast Guard Recruits!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter