Slightly panicked. We leave tomorrow and I lost my driver's license

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
It's my only photo id. We are driving, not flying, and dh is driving the whole way, so it could be worse, but I wonder if this will be an issue for me anywhere. We have MB with our APs attached and have used them with MB before, so I've done the finger scan thing and all. So I can't think of any reason why I would need it, but I still feel pretty nervous about it.

Any suggestions? We have to leave before dawn tomorrow and there is no time for a DMV visit.

VP

The only thing you'd need it for is AP discounts. But your DH could just pay for anything you would get a discount on. Same with any alcohol.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I hope it turns up ASAP as losing my DL would freak me out.

The only thing you'd need it for is AP discounts. But your DH could just pay for anything you would get a discount on. Same with any alcohol.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I hope it turns up ASAP as losing my DL would freak me out.

Aaaaahhh! Alcohol! Well, generally I don't get carded at WDW but yes, I'll just have dh order for me. It will be a pain to have him have to make all of our purchases but at least I'm not totally stuck.

I'm going to end up tearing the house up trying to find it only to have it turn up when I get back!

VP

delmar411 said:

If you are driving, can you stop by the dmv before you leave and get a temporary one?

If you are driving, can you stop by the dmv before you leave and get a temporary one?

It would set us back by about 4 hours even if the DMV only took 1 hour (which, HA, no) which would set off an absurd chain of events. I think I'll just stay up looking and if I don't find it, I'll get a new one when I get back. I hated my picture anyway!

VP

Do you have a passport or passport card? Can't legally drive, but they are government issued ID and would "prove" you're you! Good luck on the search though, lost my wallet in the house for 4 months once. Found it tucked in a "hole" in the corner behind the non removable cushions... Boy was that a relief!

I wouldn't do it. I'd wait for the RMV to open. I know you say your DH will drive the whole way, but there are too many "what if's"...what if he starts to get sick on the highway and you must take over? What if he starts to fall asleep and he just can't go on anymore, but it's out in the middle of nowhere and you have to do the driving? I just wouldn't take that risk. If there was another driver besides you, then sure. But if it's just the two of you, no way. That's just me though!

I wouldn't do it. I'd wait for the RMV to open. I know you say your DH will drive the whole way, but there are too many "what if's"...what if he starts to get sick on the highway and you must take over? What if he starts to fall asleep and he just can't go on anymore, but it's out in the middle of nowhere and you have to do the driving? I just wouldn't take that risk. If there was another driver besides you, then sure. But if it's just the two of you, no way. That's just me though!

It's me, too. We have had those sleepy issues just driving half an hour up the road, let alone however far you're going.

And I tend to get carded. If a server cards you and you don't have it, it doesn't matter if you're 99, they can't serve you. If you drink some of his drink you will both get in trouble with the establishment (because THEY could get into serious trouble).

If your AP doesn't work for a myriad of common reasons or you lose it somehow don't you need to show photo ID to get a new one?

Not sure where you are coming from, but I'd look up the location of the closest to the border of your state DMV office and be there when they open.

Ugh, shh, voices of reason! :) Okay, I'm going to stay up looking for it until I can't stay awake any longer. (I can sleep in the car tomorrow.) If I don't find it, then we will stop at the DMV first thing in the morning. (Much to the chagrin of the kids!) Fingers crossed that I find it!

VP

if I don't find it, I'll get a new one when I get back. I hated my picture anyway!

VP

Not sure about your state, but my hairdresser told me a funny story about how our state handles it. She also hated her photo. So she decided to go in, wait through the line and tell them she had lost hers so she could get a new one. What a surprise to her to find out they keep photos on file here and merely issued a new copy with the old photo!

I hope you find it quickly. pixiedust:

Ugh, shh, voices of reason! :) Okay, I'm going to stay up looking for it until I can't stay awake any longer. (I can sleep in the car tomorrow.) If I don't find it, then we will stop at the DMV first thing in the morning. (Much to the chagrin of the kids!) Fingers crossed that I find it!

VP

Best decision ever. You won't regret the peace of mind that comes with the ability to take over the driving. Have a wonderful trip!

a few years ago where we were leaving right after work to drive part way to Orlando. I rushed home, changed clothes and finished loading the car.

It was at our first stop that I noticed I did not have my money clip. No money. No credit cards. No ID. No problem. I didn't need an ID at any point in the trip.

I guess I'm the contrarian here. I wouldn't wait around for the DMV.

Sounds like DH will be doing the bulk of the driving. And even if you have to drive for a short distance, as long as you're within the speed limit and stay in the right lane except for passing, no police officer will even know you don't have a license. I'd still let DH do the driving.

My only concern would be buying alcohol. Disney is strict about serving alcohol for those without proper ID. And they won't even let your DH buy for you. I've heard horror stories of Disney taking beer away after being purchased, because the person with the ID gave it to the person without the ID. That said, my DD25 was never carded.

If something like this ever happens to me, I do have an advantage. I live in the far northern part of my state (Kentucky). It's nearly three hours to the southernmost town in Kentucky.

Not sure about your state, but in NC, we do not get a new license at the DMV when we renew or have lost it. They mail it to you, we get a piece of paper with a photo copy of your license as a temporary card. We can also do it online. Have you checked that. It would only be a paper copy, but at least its something. Good Luck!

Aaaaahhh! Alcohol! Well, generally I don't get carded at WDW but yes, I'll just have dh order for me. It will be a pain to have him have to make all of our purchases but at least I'm not totally stuck.

I'm going to end up tearing the house up trying to find it only to have it turn up when I get back!

VP

I got carded at Food and Wine, and I thought for sure our magic bands would have our age when we paid with them. No such luck, I mean that would make sense right?

Anyways, just have your husband order it :beach:

I got carded at Food and Wine, and I thought for sure our magic bands would have our age when we paid with them. No such luck, I mean that would make sense right? Anyways, just have your husband order it :beach:

Since the magic bands can be removed and given to someone else, they can't be used for ID.

I got carded at Food and Wine, and I thought for sure our magic bands would have our age when we paid with them. No such luck, I mean that would make sense right?

Anyways, just have your husband order it :beach:

No that doesn't make sense. They are legally required to see valid proper ID. Disney isn't the one who would be in trouble for serving an under age person, the CM would and the managers at least have to get liquor licenses and if they lose them then they can't work so most are very strict about no Id, no alcohol.

No that doesn't make sense. They are legally required to see valid proper ID. Disney isn't the one who would be in trouble for serving an under age person, the CM would and the managers at least have to get liquor licenses and if they lose them then they can't work so most are very strict about no Id, no alcohol.

I acknowledged that I was wrong above ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter