Slightly OT - New Nook Owners be prepared----

3boymthr

DIS Veteran
Only slightly OT because of all the Budget Boarders who bought Nooks for Christmas. :goodvibes

My mother bought middle DS a refurbished Nook for Christmas and registered it on Sunday. On Monday night he found that he could no longer read the book we'd bought and he'd begun reading over the weekend. After multiple tries to figure out what was wrong with it I finally gave up and called B&N technical support - thinking that there was either something wrong with it or that the problem was I was the cc holder and the Nook was in his name. 1 hour of hold time later I finally got thru to B&N support where I spent another 15 minutes explaining the problem. It was finally determined that the problem with his Nook had to do with the fact that they had to refresh/reboot/update their system and many who had registered their Nook over the weekend are now no longer registered and must register their Nook again. It was a simple fix once I knew the problem, (literally just going into the device menu selecting register then entering his e-mail address and password again and hitting submit) but what a PITA figuring it out.

HTH someone.

We went to B&N today....DH bought me a Color Nook for Christmas and I'm debating returning it for a b&w....there were 3 people with Nook problems there! I'm reconsidering the whole Nook thing now.

i LOVE my nook and i'm on my third novel since Christmas Day, lol. i registered both mine and DD's before wrapping them, so we had no issues this past weekend. actually, we couldn't get onto the b&n site at all this past weekend, it was so clogged with holiday traffic.

Love my nook......no problems with it. Favorite part is getting books from the library free......

Love my nook......no problems with it. Favorite part is getting books from the library free......

You get library books for free??? That is the whole reason I haven't bought a Nook/Kindle! Would you mind telling me more about that?!

We went to B&N today....DH bought me a Color Nook for Christmas and I'm debating returning it for a b&w....there were 3 people with Nook problems there! I'm reconsidering the whole Nook thing now.

Not that I enjoy defending the Nook (hubby is a product tester for the Kindle), but that is going to happen with ANY electronic device received as a gift. You're always going to end up with the need for help, and when people don't choose the items on their own (knowing that they are tech savvy already) the problem is increased.

I am 100% certain there were similar problems with the Kindle directly after xmas.

And it's a good thing when the companies make updates like that; it's just too bad there isn't an easier way to let people know how to fix it. :)

I bought myself a refurbished Nook for Christmas. I have only read library books so far.

At my local library, they are part of a network and I just have to go into that network and enter my library card number. I can download the book if it is available or request to put a hold on it if it is not available. When the book becomes available, I am notified via email and can then go on and download the book.

I am sure I will purchase some books, but haven't had the need to do so yet.

The one problem is that I found a small crack under the page forward button. I notified them and I have a new (refurbished) one on the way.

I've had the B&W Nook since July and love it! I have about 100 books downloaded, and have only purchased about 10 of them. I have also borrowed from the library. I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood)

Please note I'm not saying the problem was with the Nook itself but rather the B&N computer sytem/network. I thought at first that it was a problem specific to our account or with his Nook which is why I called. I totally was not expecting the problem to be on their network side. So if you're encountering problems double check to make sure that your Nook is still registered and that your account still exists (I set up his account last week while I had time so that didn't get wiped out). :thumbsup2

I love my Nook - have had it for a few months now. It had a little learning curve to get the library books on it - but once I figured it out I was golden.

You need to have your library card and pin, and go onto your library's site.

I got my Nook in May for my bday, we had major major issues with it at first so we took it to the local store (not the store it was purchased from) and the manager spent hours working on it for me, he gave us free waters and snacks at the cafe and he called the tech support people because we weren't getting the right answers over the phone. We were there for almost 2 hours, he also told us to each go chose a book off the shelf to peruse while we were waiting so we weren't totally bored. He went above and beyond what he needed to do, all because I wasn't happy with the phone support people. He came back saying it was a system wide error and it would be cleared up in a few days, he said if I had any further questions, concerns or problems to let him know and he'd handle it for me. After the quoted time period the problem was fixed (it was showing I had books that I didn't actually have and the archive function didn't work on them) and I've never had another issue.
DDs got a Nook from their Gpa for Christmas, we registered it with my account, DD11 was sort of reading Wind in the Willows and she really wants to get herself some Nancy Drew books to read so I'm planning on letting her pick a few and buy them. :) We haven't turned theirs on for a couple of days so I don't know if there is a problem but we will check it for sure!
Thanks for posting this OP, I'll know what to look for if there is an issue with it. :)

The main way people get books on their Nook from the library is through Overdrive. And you can't get library books on a kindle.

You get library books for free??? That is the whole reason I haven't bought a Nook/Kindle! Would you mind telling me more about that?!

As the PP said, you can't get library books on a Kindle. They are only available on a Nook.

How to get them from your library mostly depends on whether your library system has ebooks available.

Our system does. I had to download ADE (adobe digital edition & free) to your computer and then search your library for the books you want to read. When you find what you want, you can request it. Some books will be available immediately, some you have to go on a waiting list for.

When the book is available, you download it and then open it with ADE. Plug your nook into your computer and drop the title into your Nook.

Then unplug your Nook. To find your book on the Nook you'll have to go to My Documents.

Generally, the book is available for 2 weeks. If you finish it early, you can go back into ADE, click on the little arrow to the left of the book's title and choose return.

I just downloaded my 4th library book since Christmas. I had to wait for 3 of them, but since it's only been a few days I wasn't that upset. I wait longer than that for many of the "regular" library books I want to borrow.

If there's an easier way to do it, maybe someone will give us the directions, but that's how I do it.

If your library doesn't have ebooks available for lending, the Philadelphia Free Library allows non-residents to become members for $15/yr. Here's a link to the form you need to fill out and return.

http://www.freelibrary.org/registration/Card_Application.pdf

are new releases available for download from the library or just older books?

Our library has some new releases but I'm thinking there may be a wait to get them with all the people who got them for Christmas. Our library had a question and answer night for Kindles and Nooks and told how to use it, etc. I still think I need lessons!

I just checked the girls Nook and it's fine. :) Still registered and everything. :)

you can get library books on the iPad now. With the Nook and Kindle and Sony, you have to download the books to your computer first then send them to the device. with the ipad, the Overdrive program is an app and you access your library directly from the device, no need for a pc.

you can get library books on the iPad now. With the Nook and Kindle and Sony, you have to download the books to your computer first then send them to the device. with the ipad, the Overdrive program is an app and you access your library directly from the device, no need for a pc.

true, but the price point of an ipad is rather prohibitive when compared to the other e-readers, especially if that's the only use you'll have for it.

My thoughts (and they are just that) are that people who are in the market for an iPad aren't going to use it primarily as an e-reader, while those who are in the market for a Nook, Kindle, or Sony are only looking for an e-reader.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter