Slightly OT-ACL surgery for my dog

Our Lab torn her ACL about 3 years ago. She couldn't walk on it either. It was about $3000. There aren't many vets around here that will do the ACL surgery, but we couldn't let her be in pain. He told us the other knee needed surgery too, but she hasn't had any problems with either knee since the surgery. We opted to wait until she starts having problems with the other knee before anything is done.

One thing I might recommend is looking into Pet Insurance ASAP!! Most of what we saw won't cover preexisting conditions, but they may honor it if you get the insurance before going to the vet. We are getting it for our dog now, and while it won't work for this surgery, the vet said that of all dogs that tear one ACL, there is a 40% chance they will tear the other one.

I fully agree with getting pet insurance. But I just wanted to clarify something...In the case of conditions where the body has a matching pair (eg ears, eyes, limbs), they will exclude coverage for the problem if it has already happened to one of the pair. For example, in the case of a RCCL, they will not cover this condition in the right leg if it had already happened in the left leg.

Sometimes the exclusion is temporary & sometimes it is permanent. Pet insurance companies treat pre-existing problems differently, so be sure to check with the one you are planning to use.

For the OP, many of the posters have had this happen to their large breed dogs who really need a TPLO (about $3-5K per knee). However, small breed dogs can often get away without surgery or with a less involved surgery. If Titan needs surgery, please just don't shop around based on price --make sure you know the surgeon's experience/track record, if the price will include appropriate pre-anesthetic testing (blood work, xrays), proper cardiovascular monitoring & support, IV fluids, pain medications etc etc.

Also, a RCCL should be easy to diagnose in a small breed via exam. If there is no convincing drawer sign or a negative tibial compression test, he probably doesn't have a RCCL.

Hope he is on the mend!

I fully agree with getting pet insurance. But I just wanted to clarify something...In the case of conditions where the body has a matching pair (eg ears, eyes, limbs), they will exclude coverage for the problem if it has already happened to one of the pair. For example, in the case of a RCCL, they will not cover this condition in the right leg if it had already happened in the left leg.

Sometimes the exclusion is temporary & sometimes it is permanent. Pet insurance companies treat pre-existing problems differently, so be sure to check with the one you are planning to use.

Interesting; I will have to let my husband know, since he was the one looking into the specifics of the insurance. Do you know of any company for which this would be a temporary thing?

Do you know of any company for which this would be a temporary thing?

The 2 companies I am most familiar with are PetCare & VPI. Both of these companies have temporary exclusions for pre-existing problems which they reassess every 6 months. If the condition is stable, they will then remove the exclusion.

However, I know VPI excludes RCCL/RACL treatment for the first 12 months of the policy, no matter if it is pre-existing or not. After that, you get full coverage.

I would call the companies personally for the best up-to-date information.

The 2 companies I am most familiar with are PetCare & VPI. Both of these companies have temporary exclusions for pre-existing problems which they reassess every 6 months. If the condition is stable, they will then remove the exclusion.

However, I know VPI excludes RCCL/RACL treatment for the first 12 months of the policy, no matter if it is pre-existing or not. After that, you get full coverage.

I would call the companies personally for the best up-to-date information.

Thanks for the response :)

If Titan needs surgery, please just don't shop around based on price --make sure you know the surgeon's experience/track record, if the price will include appropriate pre-anesthetic testing (blood work, xrays), proper cardiovascular monitoring & support, IV fluids, pain medications etc etc.

Please don't bargain shop.
We had both of our dog's luxating patellas operated on by a board certified surgeon about 6 years ago. It was the best $ we ever spent.

:wave2: Thanks everyone for your responses! I know some of you were concerned when I said I would be looking around for prices. I should have been more specific, I didn't mean to say that I would be going with the least expensive option and solely choosing on that. I have quite a few options for surgeons around here and I want to make sure I feel informed and like I've done my research when I make such a huge choice. I really do appreciate the concern:flower3: As for now, Titan is doing really well! He's back to his spunky self! He may be able to live his whole life without this being an issue for him. In the meantime I'll be keep a close eye on him and continuing with the vet follow-ups. Thanks everyone!

Until a year ago, I worked for a veterinary in rural Arkansas. If our vet did the surgery, you would be looking at $700 to $500 for EVERYTHING. If it was referred to a clinic in Springfield, MO, I think the cost there for the surgery, anesthetic and post-op pain medications was in the $1500 range.

It very much depends on where you live.

ETA: If you do have to have the surgery done, follow the post-op recommendations to the letter! It is hard and a PITA, but you will have the best chances for great results.

call around and get estimates, ask friends...we drive about 40 min. to our vet because they are so much cheaper. my boston terrier just had her toe amputated,2 meds, and $50 to send toe to pathology to see if cancer.total $249. my vet is very practical, she will tell you up front and doesn't do lots of extras, like she said we could do preop bloodwork to see if my dog could survive the surgery...but i thought that was pointless because if she didn't have the surgery she couldn't survive the cancer and that was ok w/the vet.she also gave me the opion of doing the path.report, but i thought in the rare case that it wasn't cancer, i would feel better, otherwise i could have gotten everything for 200....i would check rural vets.our vet (that is in an old Building in a more rural area) is a lot chepaer than our vet was in Louisville, who was in the same building as a people doctor, pharmacy,offices...and his wife drove a BMW and seemed real high maintenance.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter