Sleeping?

shm_helene

Mouseketeer
Hi All~
Sorry if I posted this already - I remember typing it but dont' see it anywhere (including my stats!)

We are in the process of booking a 9 day / 8 night stay at Disney @ AoA for myself, my husband, 3yo daughter, and 1 yo daughter. I thought AoA would be great for the 3 yo because of the theming and also the separation of bedroom would be great for when they are sleeping. Then I really looked at the room and decided it was a little over the top for me for 8 days (I wanted something a little more relaxing sometimes). I am trying to convince my husband of a split stay (using our rest day as the hotel change day). He is really worried about how our 3 yo and 1 yo will sleep in the hotel. I know all kids are different but I was looking to hear anyones experience with kids of this age in a "single" room. Thank you in advance!

My kids are so tired after a day in the parks they could sleep anywhere and normally they are not great sleepers. I do not have experience in a single room yet, as we had a suite at AOA last trip but I imagine everyone will be exhausted by then end of a full day! If your little one is using a pack n play I think I saw a post once that said it fits behind the privacy curtain (but then using the bathroom would disturb her)

My 3 girls crashed every single night. We were in one room at the BC last summer and their ages were 6, 7 & 8...I was worried too but we literally all hit the pillows and were asleep in seconds...slept like logs all night! Good luck :)

We always stayed in a single room when our kids were babies and toddlers. We would just lay them down to nap after lunch and either go sit on the balcony together, or take turns watching them... I'd sit on my laptop in the dark while DH went down to the pool bar, or DH would stay in the room while I went to the shops. Usually they were already so tired we would end up having to wake them for dinner. Ahhhh the memories :)

I can't help with experiences, but I wanted to throw a couple of suggestions out there. The cabins at Fort Wilderness have a separate bedroom, and it's a really peaceful, relaxing environment. You're a short boat ride from the MK, and there are lots of recreation options.

You could also consider renting a one bedroom villa at a DVC resort. That would give you a master bedroom with a king bed and a jacuzzi tub, a sofa bed in the living room, with plenty of room for a pack & play (provided with the villa). You'd also have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer, not a bad thing with little ones.

One other thing - if it were me, I don't know if I'd switch resorts on a rest day. You may get into your room at the next resort right away, or you may have a gap of several hours when you have no room to go to, which could be tough if one of your kids needs a nap. I'd be more inclined to switch on a park day. Disney will transfer your luggage to the next resort for you.

When my kids were younger they actually slept better if we were in the room with them. I guess they were uneasy/scared of not sleeping at home in their own beds. We would either go to bed when they did ( exhausted) or we would read/ get on the laptop in the sink area with the curtain somewhat closed.
My girls are 16 and 12 now and even when we are in a 3 BR rental they still want to sleep in the same room with each other ( not with us anymore!) on vacation even though at home they have their own rooms.
Only you know what is right for your kids but most kids are really tired after a day at WDW and will fall right to sleep.

How about All Star Music Suites instead? They aren't as "flashy" and a bit less expensive than AoA suites.

I have siblings that insist that they need to sleep separately from their kids when travelling and have stayed at ASMu Suites. We've always shared a room with our kids and have rarely had a problem with sleep.

I can't help with experiences, but I wanted to throw a couple of suggestions out there. The cabins at Fort Wilderness have a separate bedroom, and it's a really peaceful, relaxing environment. You're a short boat ride from the MK, and there are lots of recreation options.

You could also consider renting a one bedroom villa at a DVC resort. That would give you a master bedroom with a king bed and a jacuzzi tub, a sofa bed in the living room, with plenty of room for a pack & play (provided with the villa). You'd also have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer, not a bad thing with little ones.

One other thing - if it were me, I don't know if I'd switch resorts on a rest day. You may get into your room at the next resort right away, or you may have a gap of several hours when you have no room to go to, which could be tough if one of your kids needs a nap. I'd be more inclined to switch on a park day. Disney will transfer your luggage to the next resort for you.

Thank you for the suggestions! We really have looked at Fort Wildnerness...too many options :)

As for the switch day - we plan on being at a friends house that day so I'm not overly concerned about it! Thank you for the advice though!

If you did switch to another resort I'd suggest a deluxe with a balcony, so you'd have somewhere to go talk, read, use laptop, etc without worrying about disturbing the kids while they nap/sleep. It gives a bit extra living space.

We've taken DS twice (in the middle of the second time) and stayed in a Moderate resort both times.

The first stay was at CBR in a king bed room, and he was only 3 months old so he was used to sleeping in the room with us. If we didn't want to disturb him, we would put him behind the curtain in the bathroom.

This time, the same drill, except he's two and has been sleeping in his own room for well over a year. We bought a twin sized air mattress and are keeping it on the bathroom floor behind the curtain (I thought about the small child sized one, but I was worried that he might not sleep well, and my sister is on the trip with us, so I wanted an alternative sleeping place for an adult in case he decided that he needed to sleep with mommy). We bought him some cars sheets with it and he LOVES it. We tuck him in back there the same as we do at home (nap and bed time) pull the curtain, and the rest of us can keep low lights on in the bedroom. I tip it up against the wall during the day, so it's out of the way. We've been trying to use the restroom before he goes down, or 30 minutes or so after, and he hasn't woken up once.

I acclimated him to the air mattress on a visit to my Mom's house a few weeks ago, so we'd know what to expect. He's actually sleeping better here than he did at my Mom's. He's woken up a little in the middle of the night, but that's not unusual for him.

How about All Star Music Suites instead? They aren't as "flashy" and a bit less expensive than AoA suites.

This! Not only are the suites at the All Star Music not so over the top, but they are cheaper than the AoA suites. We had a great stay in an All Star Music suite, and wouldn't hesitate to stay in one again.

One thing I learned with my grandkids. Get your 1 yr old used to sleeping in a pack and play if you have one. My grandson wasn't and cried most of the night. We were only there for 2 days/1 night. With my granddaughter she was used to her pack and play, DD used it every night until DGD was about 6 months then she moved her to her own room. If they knew they were going to Disney I'd use the pack and play for naps and DD would use it a couple times a week prior to the trip. DGD always slept great.

One thing I learned with my grandkids. Get your 1 yr old used to sleeping in a pack and play if you have one. My grandson wasn't and cried most of the night. We were only there for 2 days/1 night. With my granddaughter she was used to her pack and play, DD used it every night until DGD was about 6 months then she moved her to her own room. If they knew they were going to Disney I'd use the pack and play for naps and DD would use it a couple times a week prior to the trip. DGD always slept great.

Thanks! My to be 1yo sleeps in the PnP at my parents (they are our daycare providers), however I could see that being an issue for others!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter