Sleeper sofas - yuck!

gravymom

Mouseketeer
We just got back from our second time in a studio (using rented points.) The first time was at BWV and both the bed and the sleeper sofa were fairly uncomfortable.

This last trip was at WLV and the bed was much more comfortable. But, the sleeper sofa was so bad we had to go out and buy an air mattress. Even the egg crates did not help.

Why are these things so bad? It is seriously affecting our decision to purchase DVC...

We always throw the kids on the sleeper sofa so, I've never slept a night on the DVC ones...but I've slept on a few sleeper sofas...even tried out a few before purchasing one for my house last month.....the thickness of the matress on DVC sleeper sofas is in the upper range.....and I can't imagine them buying the top of the line sleeper....

Sorry that this would effect your decision to purchase...DVC is a great way to vacation.

I don't think I have ever slept comfortably on a sleep sofa. That's what kids are for! LOL

I don't think there is much Disney can do, sleep sofa as a rule are uncomfortable if only for the fact your sleeping in a 4" thick mattress.

They have studios with a sleep sofa? I thought the studios came with 2 beds?

They have studios with a sleep sofa? I thought the studios came with 2 beds?

Only OKW studios have 2 Queen beds...other studios have a bed and sleeper sofa.

We usually have one trip per year in an OKW studio and 1 trip in a 1 Bdrm. I get the sleeper in the 1 Bdrm. Some are more comfortable than others...maybe from different usage? But the sleeper we had last month was comfortable, and it was not in a newly rehabbed bldg, in fact it was scheduled to undergo rehab shortly after we left.

Consider a resale at OKW. Two beds in the studio.

Anything that folds away to serve a dual purpose can only do the job half-way... it just isn't meant for the same comfort as a "dedicated' bed.

Like so many others, we either avoid the sleepers (get a 2br) or put the kids on them. After all, my kids think sleeping on the rock hard ground outside in a sleeping bag and tent is to die for... as for me, the only part they got right is the "die" part, because it just about "killed" my back!

Some folks prefer the air matresses or aerobeds to ever unfolding the sleeper. I confess, we are debating using an air bed for our boys next trip to avoid using the sleeper in the living room of the 2br villa. HOWEVER -- I would have to get TWO aerobeds, because I am having visions of son #1 going airborne off the aerobed nightly as Son #2 flops all over the place. THose aerobeds are not meant for more than one passenger, in my opinion! It's like sleeping on a moon bounce or trampoline!

I think you should stay away from purchasing DVC then. Never heard of that as a determining factor before now but to each his own.

I agree that they can be uncomfortable. There are comfortable sleeper sofas out there. The Hampton Inn in Panama City Beach has the BEST ones. I think the mattress was about 6 inches thick.

You may be able to request a dedicated studio at some of the DVC resorts that would give you 2 double beds instead.

You do have to make the decision that is right for you.

Either I was real tired or got real lucky at OKW last year. My SIL and I shared the sleepsofa and gave the kids the master for 5 nights. Logistically, it was better for us to use the washer after they went to bed and to enjoy a glass of wine and snacks.

I guess I'll see how lucky I am when we do the same at BWV in a few weeks.
Sandy

Sometimes the problem isn't the sleeper mattres, but the lack of support under the mattress. We've had good luck just putting the mattress directly on the floor.

Originally posted by InstImpres
Either I was real tired or got real lucky at OKW last year. My SIL and I shared the sleepsofa and gave the kids the master for 5 nights. Logistically, it was better for us to use the washer after they went to bed and to enjoy a glass of wine and snacks.

I guess I'll see how lucky I am when we do the same at BWV in a few weeks.
Sandy

Here is your answer. The bed sleeps better after wine and snacks :)

As stated I have never slept on a comfortable one. My father always said it was so guests would never be tempted to stay with you any longer than necessary. :)

Originally posted by Sammie
Here is your answer. The bed sleeps better after wine.....

trink02.gif
schla03.gif

I've heard of people calling up egg crates for the sofa to help. Housekeeping will bring them up.
Anyone have more info on this?

We have used an aerobed before. We have a twin, worked nicely in the entry and was quite comfotable I hear.

I've slept on the sofa sleeper, I found it OK. personally, I'm always so tired by the end of the night wheil at WDW anything wodul feel nice to me. :p

Shan,

We did have housekeeping bring up egg crates. They did not have a full/queen one so they brought up two twin ones. It did not help at all.

I think you should stay away from purchasing DVC then. Never heard of that as a determining factor before now but to each his own.

Funny, but one's comfort during a stay should be a very important factor in determining whether or not to purchase. The kids won't sleep in an unfamiliar bed by themselves so I am stuck sleeping on the sleeper sofa on trips. It was miserable, even though I was very tired. Oh well.

The kids won't sleep in an unfamiliar bed by themselves

Sounds like your kids are really young ...I'd just put them on the floor in the Master bedroom and sleep in the king size bed myself rather then go through the torture of sleeping on the sofa....

My kids have always enjoyed "camping IN"......

gravymom,

I understand what you mean about the sleeper sofa factoring into your decision to buy. It was also a factor we considered when researching DVC. I don't really like sleeper sofas and I like the 2 beds in 1 room set up that you find in a standard hotel room-most of the time.

I think this is why we like VB so much.

I slept on the sleeper on our last trip to VWL and it was nice. DH needed the king bed to himself because he had to get up very early.

There are ways around the sleeper sofa. As I mentioned before, you can try and reserve a studio with 2 beds instead.

I stayed at BWV last month and slept on the sleeper sofa. I thought it was very comfy!

Currently Disney is considering the new Logic Sleeper Sofa for the new Animal Kingdom VC. Search on Logic Hospitality Furniture for a picture of how it works. These things are really new.

These are currently installed at the Boardwalk Inn (not the villas) and are now being installed at the Beach Club Villas. These are currently installed in 200 family suites at AllStar Music. There are a few of these in the suites at Contemporary and approximately 25 installed in the Wilderness Lodge Family Suites.

These are incredible sofas! It addresses everything that was ever wrong about sleeper sofas - comfortable, easy to use, no piles of cushions in the corner when the thing is open, etc.

The new sleep sofa in the OKW 1 bedroom that we got on our last trip there was pretty comfy. I think they were new.

The worst ones I've ever slept on were at BWV. On my gosh, my head was lower than my feet and the bar in the back was a killer. I heard they are getting new sleep sofas. They sure need them is all I can say. I used the couch cushions to prop my head up so the blood would flow back down through the rest of my body. :upsidedow

You may be able to request a dedicated studio at some of the DVC resorts that would give you 2 double beds instead.
All of the studios at OKW have two queen beds. The studios at the other resorts have one queen bed and a full-size sleeper sofa. I don't think there are any dedicated studios with two double beds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter