Sleep Number beds

DH and I have had our sleep number bed for about 5 years. Prior to purchasing our bed I had terrible insomnia, coupled with horrible hip/lower back pain when I slept. Both DH and I agree that purchasing our sleep number bed was the best money we ever spent. I sleep so peacefully in our bed, no longer live with insomnia and have no more hip or lower back pain.

I have had my remote break once during those 5 years, and it was a hefty cost to replace it (something like $130), but I have had no problems with our pump. The thing is that once you find your number you really should not have a need to use your remote/pump that much. I think that if this bed has the life the company promotes, that putting some money into pumps/remotes is a cost I will happily assume.

For the person who complained about the dual-chambers and the bump they can cause. This generally can be fixed pretty easily by unzipping the topper and rearranging the foam that sits between the chambers. If you and your significant other have radically different numbers (like one is a 20 and the other an 85), you will experience a roll when moving from one chamber to the next...but I suppose that's the point.

For the person who posted that they have slept in one at a hotel (I assume a Raddison), I sort of feel they do a diservice to the majority of people who stay at their properties. Mainly because it takes a week or two to find your number. For people who actually own sleep number beds, and love them, I can tell you we love Raddison's.

We got a split king bed last fall. My husband and I both love the sleep number bed. In fact, my DD12 watches TV in our bed every afternoon because it's SOOO comfortable.

We have one-my husband has his really soft, I have mine really firm and we have what feels like a valley between us. Neither of us are crazy about it, but after we spent so much money on it we have put off getting another bed. It does seem like the bed doesn't stay consistant. And it changes whenever the other person isn't in the bed. I can definitely tell when he gets in or out.

I always wondered, wouldn't an inflatable camping mattress like those Coleman ones that are twins that can attach to each other to make a queen be basically the same thing? :confused3
I mean that's all the Select Comfort mattress is basically is an overpriced camping air mattress. I have one of those memory foam pads that I could throw on it too.

We absolutely LOVE ours. I always had sleep problems before and back problems and since we got the sleep number I actually fall asleep faster and sleep through the night and no more sore back. Dh loves it too. I wouldn't trade it for the world! We got the C4 model and it's wonderful!

We've had ours for 5 years and love it. DH didn't know he wasn't sleeping well until we got ours. Since then my inlaws have bought 2 and my friend got one too.

I will say also that we have a stayed at a hotel that had them, Marriott I think, and were not impressed with the hotel version. I have found that the more expensive ones, of course, feel better because we like the feeling of the thicker pillow top. Ours is the second from the thickest.

FYI-my inlaws bought both of theirs from Select Comfort's outlet website for just about 1/2 price, if I remember correctly. I'm sure if you Google it, it will come up.

I have wanted a Sleep Number bed for a long time, and everytime I see them on QVC I'm tempted. I see there are mixed reviews of them on here and that makes me even more curious to try one out for myself.

My inlaws tried a Tempurpedic and like the other posters have said they said it made them very hot and they live in Colorado. I would never get one in Arizona that's for sure!

The two main reasons for buying one are:
1)You and your spouse have radically different comfort settings
2)One of you has physical issues that make sleeping difficult

My parents are divorced, but both own them and SWEAR by them. DM has severe scoliosis and can't sleep on any other bed. DF has fibromyalgia and swears by his, as well. Because DM sleeps alone, she bought a special foam piece to put between the two chambers of her queen bed that make it seem like all one bed (couldn't do it if you used two different settings, obviously).

I'm getting one as soon as I win the lottery:)

Terri

Our Select Comfort bed is a Godsend. We have had it for nearly 10 years now and not a single problem. I have terrible scoliosis and I lived with a LOT of pain before we bought the Select Comfort. Prior to that we had purchased a very expensive regular mattress and it was horrible, I was in pain all the time. For those who think the Select Comfort beds are expensive, I disagree. We spent $2000 on a regular mattress set that was lumpy and horribly uncomfortable in less than 2 years. We spent about $3500 on our Select Comfort and I see us using it for many, many years to come. I am planning on buying twin sizes for both of my children, because they both love ours.

Couple of other things--
You cannot compare them to the hotel ones. They are not like the retail store version. I just slept in a hotel one last weekend and although it wasn't terrible, it wasn't like mine.

It is NOTHING like sleeping on an air mattress. We have the pillowtop version and it's very cushy and comfy (but still provides great support).

I slept on a Tempurpedic at a friends house and I couldn't stand it. As a PP said, it was soooo hot. I am a person who is cold all the time and I was sweating bullets on that thing. HATED it!

Good luck with your decision.

Love ours. We originally had a queen size bed, bought in 2003. Still is great. It's now in the guest room and we upgraded to a king size for our room last year. No complaints. Love it.

We have had our 15 years now and LOVE it. It is the one thing we hate about traveling is that we can't take it with us. I do find qvc has the best prices, we bought ours at the mall because we wanted to try it out first. If there ever needs to be a next one it will come from qvc.

The two main reasons for buying one are:
1)You and your spouse have radically different comfort settings
2)One of you has physical issues that make sleeping difficult

My parents are divorced, but both own them and SWEAR by them. DM has severe scoliosis and can't sleep on any other bed. DF has fibromyalgia and swears by his, as well. Because DM sleeps alone, she bought a special foam piece to put between the two chambers of her queen bed that make it seem like all one bed (couldn't do it if you used two different settings, obviously).

I'm getting one as soon as I win the lottery:)

Terri

Our reason was different. My husband goes through mattresses like butter. As soon as they divot, he's decided they have a huge ditch running through them. The sleep number beds really don't do that (the foam top may slightly, but not enough for him). He's a bigger guy.

We bought one because my sister and brother in law had theirs for five years before we bought ours. If my husband is a bigger guy, my brother in law is a really big guy, and their mattress has held up.

We needed a different bed technology (a waterbed or sleep number bed - the selling point of the temperpedics is their divot feature - they weren't going to work for us) or we'd continue to buy mattresses every three years.

We have one and love it! It's like sleeping on a luxurious marshmallow cloud! :cloud9:

Dh keeps his side firmer than I do, and we've never experienced any kind of "hollow" between us, and no problems when getting .... cozy. ;)

We also bought an adjustable platform. Dh has all kinds of knee problems (4 surgeries and counting), we both have back problems and I have a hiatal hernia, so it's wonderful to be able to lift the legs a bit and raise the head of the bed. And fortunately, we're pretty in sync about where we like the settings, so it works out well for us.

I have no idea how we're going to sleep on flat hotel beds ever again. :thumbsup2

We have had ours for about 4 years. We don't hate it but we don't love it either. We have had to have the pump replaced 3 times in the first two years. When we try to adjust our sleep numbers, I like mine soft, it goes all the way down to 5 no matter what number I put it on. We had to get a mattress pillow topper for ours. It was just not comfortable. Would we get another one? Probably not.

We also tried to get a new topper and was told we couldn't. Our cat decided to urinate all over it one year when dh and I went to WDW and she got mad. We ended up cleaning it as good as we could. It doesn't smell but it doesn't look pretty either. They should allow you to purchase each parts seperatly.

Good luck on which ever way you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter