• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sleep Number Beds

1stTimeDisneyer

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone here has or has had a sleep number bed. DH & I are looking for a new bed and were wondering if these are worth the money. They are having a sale right now, but I am looking for peoples personal experiences before spending the money on one.

Thank you for all your information!

DO IT !!! We miss our bed so bad when we go on vacation.

My Dh is a Firefighter/Paramedic and he is even trying to get them to put them in at the new firehouse .

Once you sleep on it you wont want it to go back but they will let you return them within 30days if you hate it . I have never slept better in my whole life. We are going to give this one to my DD and her Dh and upgrade to the newest one.
I even have a Sleep Number Bed for my son upstairs : )

We stayed on one in a hotel and did not care for it, but it only had one 'chamber' rather than individual sides so when one of us got up, the other sunk way down into the bed. My in laws did the 30 day free trial and sent it back. You could always do that and send it back if you didn't like it.

Thank you for the info. We are looking at a special one they have right now. It is like the P5 except it has a little different pillow top, mostly the design on it. Can I ask which one you have now?

We stayed on one in a hotel and did not care for it, but it only had one 'chamber' rather than individual sides so when one of us got up, the other sunk way down into the bed. My in laws did the 30 day free trial and sent it back. You could always do that and send it back if you didn't like it.

I also stayed in one at a hotel and did not like it.

For those who tried one once in a hotel you cannot sleep on one of these beds once to get a feel for them. It takes a good while to find your number, which just is not possible trying it once. I have had my sleep number bed for over 5 years and love it. It took several weeks to adjust to it, and during that period I was afraid I had made a mistake. DH and I found our numbers (we have a king dual chamber, NO pillow top) and we have been sleeping blissfully since. In addition to no more insomnia and sore hips/lower back for me, I have to comment that I love how light this bed is, and easy it is to take down when I need to clean under my bed (or when we got new carpet recently).

I have one and it is the best investment in my back I have ever made. I can't sleep well anywhere else. It does take awhile to find out what your number is, probably took me about a week, hubby about 3 or 4 nights. So, a one or two night hotel stay can't give you any idea what it's really like.

If it's in the budget, do it! You will love it! We've had ours for about 4 years and had an issue with my side holding air. They sent us a new filler thing (sorry, don't know the technical term) for free with free shipping for the old one.

Where as I like the bed (DH doesn't) the warranty is extremely misleading. You don't get a 20 year warranty. Our pump died after 2-3 years. When I called they said it would cost $150 for a new one (it increases each year with the warranty). Then I called to see if I could get a new mattress top (it zips on) because our dog had an oopsie. They said you can't just get the mattress top you need the whole box - $577!:scared1: I think the next time the pump goes I'll just look at getting a new bed.

I would not own any other bed. As a matter of fact, we have two. We upgraded, and put the other one in the spare room. I have to second those that said you can't get used to them after one night's sleep. I think Select Comfort actually did itself a disfavor by putting them in hotels. You can not get a good feel for them, or adjusted properly in one night. Also, two people should not sleep on a bed with one chamber. Totally misses the point of the bed. I have had great success with the customer service. the first one we bought, we did through QVC, and the warranty was better than when we bought from the store. But you can replace just parts, and not the whole bed, so I am very confident about my bed being great in another 10 years! Best purchase we ever made.

I'll go against the others, DH and I HATE our sleep number bed. I can not get it to be comfortable no matter what I do. I've spent more time sleeping on our couch in the past 6 years than I have on our bed. The worst part for us is that, although there are two chambers, one for each of us, when you're all settled in bed and the other gets in, their chamber pushes on yours and throws off the amount of air you have in yours. Every time DH rolls around in bed (which is very often during the night) it wakes me up, I can feel everything. We did get ours about 10 years ago, so they may have much better models now, but I would never buy another one of these again. I'm working to try and find something to replace it.

I'll go against the others, DH and I HATE our sleep number bed. I can not get it to be comfortable no matter what I do. I've spent more time sleeping on our couch in the past 6 years than I have on our bed. The worst part for us is that, although there are two chambers, one for each of us, when you're all settled in bed and the other gets in, their chamber pushes on yours and throws off the amount of air you have in yours. Every time DH rolls around in bed (which is very often during the night) it wakes me up, I can feel everything. We did get ours about 10 years ago, so they may have much better models now, but I would never buy another one of these again. I'm working to try and find something to replace it.

Wow, I've never experienced any of this. My chamber is completely independant of hubbys and I never feel him move. Have you filled your chambers properly? 100 with no one on it and then get on and 50 (at least I think that's what we do)? I'm just really surprised is all. Hopefully, you can figure out a better way to get a good nights sleep than sleeping on the couch. That stinks for you!

I have the sleep # bed my pump too has broken and the warranty will not fix it. I liked the bed till then but the customer service is terrible.

We have had one for quite a few years now.

I could never get good sleep on our old bed in spite of being an expensive set.

We finally tried the SN and once I realized I needed to be way down to 30-35 rather than the 50-60 I started at, I began sleeping much better.

I can't say I get the perfect sleep they claim in ads, but I also have a miriad of health issues that affect my sleep. So I don't think any bed could give me a perfect night's slumber.

I will say that when we sleep in any other bed, we miss ours terribly and look forward to our first night back home!!

I don't know about the warranty issues, as we have not yet had anything happen.

Don't let the sales staff talk you into other stuff though. We let the salesperson talk us into an extra $400 pad thing that goes on top of the mattress to make it more pillowy (is that a word?! :confused3).

Total waste of money!! We never use it. The bed was just as comfy with or without it, but we leave it off because DH gets hot when it is on. Must hold extra heat or something?!?

Try the bed as it comes and get used to the feel, then go back for extras if you feel you need them. HTH!! :flower3:

Where as I like the bed (DH doesn't) the warranty is extremely misleading. You don't get a 20 year warranty. Our pump died after 2-3 years. When I called they said it would cost $150 for a new one (it increases each year with the warranty). Then I called to see if I could get a new mattress top (it zips on) because our dog had an oopsie. They said you can't just get the mattress top you need the whole box - $577!:scared1: I think the next time the pump goes I'll just look at getting a new bed.

This is a very good point, and I am glad you mentioned it. I forgot that our remote when kaput a few years ago, and it cost $130 to replace it...obcene! I have not had our pump go, but we rarely use the pump anyway since we generally just keep it on our number(s).

I actually know what you are talking about when you say "the chamber pushes on yours and throws off the amount of air you have in yours". Actually, the bladders cannot bump up against each other due to the foam inserts that separate them, but the foam CAN go goofy (yea... it's a technical term). When that happens, we just unzip the cover and rearrange the insides and that takes care of the problem. These beds have lots of parts even though it is kind of simple construction once it is all together; I was totally amazed when my bed showed up in little boxes the first time!

Thank you everyone for you help and information. I am worried about spending all this money again, just to have a bed go bad. That is what happen to the one we have now. My other thought if we do not go with a Sleep number is to call CSR and ask them what their new beds are, since they were very comfy when we were there in May.

By the way I love the technological terms. I completely understand what you are saying!

Thank you everyone for you help and information. I am worried about spending all this money again, just to have a bed go bad. That is what happen to the one we have now. My other thought if we do not go with a Sleep number is to call CSR and ask them what their new beds are, since they were very comfy when we were there in May.

By the way I love the technological terms. I completely understand what you are saying!

It is a big investment, especially if it ends up not being the bed for you. I am pretty sure that Sleep Number beds have a free tiral period, and you can return the bed if you don't like it, but that may be more hassle than it is worth.

I agree the mattresses at CSR are great! We had the pleasure of sleeping on them for nine nights this past Jan/Feb and I slept very good!

I heard many, many good things about this bed.

We got one just over a year ago, and to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference at all. A bed is just a bed to me.

My sister, who has back problems, noticed a HUGE difference after she got her bed.

So, maybe it's more beneficial to people with certain body types/conditions?

My DH & I got one in August. We love it!! It really helps his back, but I really like how comfy it is. We have an extra silver mattress pad that helps keep your cool/warm. It really works. I stayed cool in the summer and have stayed warm this winter without tons of blankets!

My kids are always climbing in our bed to watch tv, just cause the bed is so comfy!

We have had one for a little over three years. The first year we had to replace the pump three times. We too can feel when one gets up or gets into bed. Customer service is terrible. But all in all we love the comfort of the bed. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter