Skipping Halloween for 18hr drive

bankgirl05

DIS Veteran
Since we are leaving right after school on Halloween to drive to Disney, our kids (6&4) will be missing Trick or Treating.

I am worried this is going to cause a few hours of complaining and questioning. (we weren't going to tell them where we were going, just surprise them when we got there:rotfl:)

Do you think you would actually tell them along the way, that they will be TorT'ing in WDW on Friday just to "shut them up":-)rotfl2:) or would you keep the secret as long as you could?

Will they actually know for sure that they're missing it? Could you take them to any trunk or treat things the weekend before?

I would tell them. We love Halloween in our family and my kids would rather miss a day of Disney than miss Halloween.

I think it is always better to tell children ahead of time about anything. It gives them time to mentally prepare and ask questions. My children are not big about candy, never have been, so trick or treating is not a big deal.

Every child is different. Is it the candy or is it getting to dress up? If it is dressing up go ahead and let them dress up at Disney. Lots of folks dress up and the characters will love it as will the Disney staff. It gives them something to talk about.

Or find some kind of church event where they can dress up prior to the holiday, or host a very small Halloween party at your house where the kids dress up, the adults have some warm beverages, you play a few games.... Not something huge, just an excuse to dress up. Or even host a small Halloween party after your trip. Kids love a reason to put those Halloween costumes back on. My son had a dress up party a month before Halloween and his friends loved it.

If candy is a big deal let them choose 1-2 candies. Then tell them they can have a treats from their candy bags throughout the trip.

Maybe look into some churches or shops that may be doing something prior. One of our churches does a trunk or treat and it's done on the weekend prior. So this could help.
If not maybe fine a good neighborhood along the drive to stop at and do 1 block to just get them to have the opportunity to go door to door? Don't tell them, keep your surprise for the big reveal. :thumbsup2

In this case where they are missing something I would tell them.

I know as a kid if I thought I was going to do something I would be disappointed when told I couldn't... even if normally I would have liked that other activity more. I still do that every now and then but can rationalize it better so I would be less likely to complain though.

If they are very aware of the day and that they are not going to be trick or treating at home, I would tell them.

I see from your ticker you are attending MNSSHP and MVMCP. I had some friends who went around the same time and granted their children are older than yours, but they told them they would be trick or treating at Magic Kingdom instead. They seemed fine with that alternative.

I am not big on surprises so that would not be an issue for me but in your case, if they will know that it's halloween (and if they go to school/preschool they will know) they need to know they will not be going trick or treating that night. Now, it is up to you whether you tell them you are going to WDW, or that you are going on a adventure trip, but they do need to know they will not be home.

Now....halloween can still be special. Pick out costumes with comfort in mind and let them wear them on the way down. Plan your stops with extra care, and maybe make a few extra ones. Try to find places that sell candy and let them choose a few things each place. STop at McDonalds and get a Halloween happy meal. Take a new Halloween movie along to watch on the way. Different, but can still be a lot of fun!

I think it is always better to tell children ahead of time about anything. It gives them time to mentally prepare and ask questions. My children are not big about candy, never have been, so trick or treating is not a big deal.

Every child is different. Is it the candy or is it getting to dress up? If it is dressing up go ahead and let them dress up at Disney. Lots of folks dress up and the characters will love it as will the Disney staff. It gives them something to talk about.

Or find some kind of church event where they can dress up prior to the holiday, or host a very small Halloween party at your house where the kids dress up, the adults have some warm beverages, you play a few games.... Not something huge, just an excuse to dress up. Or even host a small Halloween party after your trip. Kids love a reason to put those Halloween costumes back on. My son had a dress up party a month before Halloween and his friends loved it.

If candy is a big deal let them choose 1-2 candies. Then tell them they can have a treats from their candy bags throughout the trip.

They can still dress up and trick or treat at MK the night of the parade, right? Maybe you could hold out and if they seem REALLY upset about missing Halloween, you could ask them where would be a better place to t o t and dress up than home? :goodvibes

I would tell them! My neighbors surprised their kids when they went to WDW on Halloween several years ago. The surprised didn't go off as planned because the kids were extremely upset about missing Halloween/trick-or-treating at home. I think they need to be mentally prepared to miss something they were looking forward to.

I would check the neighboring towns' trick or treat schedules. Where we live, very few towns hold trick or treating on actual Halloween. We do "Beggar's Night" from 6pm-8pm on the 30th in our town. Most of the locals towns do it that night. Our school is doing trunk or treat on the 26th. Perhaps you can find something prior to the trip and not spoil your surprise. Best of luck! :goodvibes

p.s. We will be trick or treating on Oct. 30, but it will be at MNSSHP. :rotfl:

We were never ones for huge surprises for our children concerning trips because they totally loved *getting ready* for them. That was a lot of the enjoyment for them. We also did not tell them months in advance, only a couple weeks.

Hello! We too are going to be missing trick or treating at home this year. We have told our children that we are going to Disney World and that they are going to be trick or treating there this year. A local campground in our area celebreates a couple of halloween weekends and we went camping there and went trick or treating. Now what to do with all the candy. I would tell them so that way it will limit the amount of complaining you are going to hear. It will hopefully bring more peace for you! Good luck!

Hello! We too are going to be missing trick or treating at home this year. We have told our children that we are going to Disney World and that they are going to be trick or treating there this year. A local campground in our area celebreates a couple of halloween weekends and we went camping there and went trick or treating. Now what to do with all the candy. I would tell them so that way it will limit the amount of complaining you are going to hear. It will hopefully bring more peace for you! Good luck!

I think I am going to keep the secret as long as we can, unless they make us absolutely nuts. :lmao:

An orthodontist in our town collects all of the unused candy... I think he gives gift cards or some sort of incentive, and then he sends it to the soldiers over seas. I have a friend who just started a Non-Profit, Freedom Fighters, to send care packages to soldiers also, and we are looking into doing this as well, with all of the leftover candy. Maybe you can find something similar in your neighborhood, or maybe you know someone with a son or daughter who would love a big care package from home to share...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter