Skipping Assigned Dinning Rotation?

Geez. Touchy, aren't we? I didn't say I didn't tip or that tipping was wrong. I just said I didn't like the new PREPAID tipping because I feel that tips should reflect service EITHER way. I'm sure there are many times that a great server would have gotten a bigger tip but people thought "we've already prepaid the tip".

I never said I didn't tip in order to make a "statement". We prepay just like everyone else. I just said I didn't like it because the logic behind it is flawed.

I also prefer mint scented shampoo but I won't let the fact that DCL shampoo is floral scented stop me from cruising.

That was intended as a generic "you", a cruiser--I meant no personal reflection.

Clotho I understand that and agree with you. I do tip those who I feel did a good job but, nobody should be ostracized for not giving money to those they don't think deserve it. It is the opinion of many people you should pay the min and then add some for good service. To those are the ones I say add it to the cruise cost because if everyone pays the suggested amount whether servers are good or not, then it defeats the purpose of the tip system. And for the servers losing out it is no different than a restaurant server having a slow night or a busy night. (on land) just the way the job is. P.s. I usually tip well for just decent service , so I'm not hard to please.

I suppose since we will not be eating there at all, we can have the guest services completely remove the tips.

I suppose you could in theory. But...

By booking the cruise you are committing your servers to be there for you, wait for you, and be prepared to serve you. Reminds me of calling a taxi, having him wait outside your home for an hour, then deciding you don't want to take the trip. You haven't used the cab at all. Do you owe him for sitting there for an hour at your request? Absolutely.

Your servers also serve you at breakfast, lunch, at Castaway Cay, at Cabanas on embarkation day, etc.

It's part of the cruise deal. It's like never wanting your room cleaned. You still are committing the room steward to be there and be available to clean your room. Do you owe him a tip? Of course you do.

I suppose you could remove the tips. Wouldn't be right, though, no matter how you might try to justify it.

Bonnie unlike you I have been on several cruises already and tip what I feel the staff deserves. Not what you, Disney or anyone else thinks they deserve. If Disney thinks their workers deserve more than I state again pay them more and include the increase in the fair price. Whether you pay it all upfront or when your on board bill comes it it will cost the same. Don't make me responsible for feeling bad about another persons income when I already paid for my vacation. If they paid them fair wages and people tipped on top of that because of performance not requirement they would actually make more money.

You are contradicting yourself a bit though so I am confused. Your first post you mentioned you wouldn't pay someone who doesn't wait on you. But the quote above you state you tip what you feel they deserve.

Feel free to correct me if I am reading into your posts wrong, but it looks like if you don't eat in the MDRs you wouldn't tip because they didn't serve you and it's not your fault if Disney doesn't compensate them. Since you have cruised many times compared to my one cruise, I am surprised you would feel that way. While maybe it isn't right to have to tip someone who isn't serving you, it's not the server's fault and they shouldn't be the one to suffer. It's not like this is just a Disney policy that needs correcting but the way it is done on most cruises. So I would still say, if you aren't prepared to follow the cruising standards, then cruising is probably the wrong vacation to take.

I say this kindly: It seems you maybe don't realize the entire point of tipping--that is, to encourage better service. As employers it behooves them to pay their workers a lower wage so that it is a motivation to be "excellent", and make it hurt a little bit when they deliver below par. So the system as it exists is for YOUR benefit--to help encourage ever better service. Your not paying into the system hurts the server for no reason. If you get bad service, I understand reducing the tip. But not paying at all and claiming the system is the problem...well, I would think most adults in the US should understand why a system of tipping exists in our culture. But in case you didn't understand, hopefully this post was helpful in catching you up on the hows and whys!

:thumbsup2

ETA:
Clotho I understand that and agree with you. I do tip those who I feel did a good job but, nobody should be ostracized for not giving money to those they don't think deserve it. It is the opinion of many people you should pay the min and then add some for good service. To those are the ones I say add it to the cruise cost because if everyone pays the suggested amount whether servers are good or not, then it defeats the purpose of the tip system. And for the servers losing out it is no different than a restaurant server having a slow night or a busy night. (on land) just the way the job is. P.s. I usually tip well for just decent service , so I'm not hard to please.
Okay this explains it better though I don't think anyone was debating on whether to tip a server less or nothing for doing a bad job. The question was whether you need to tip a server when you don't show up to the MDR any night. The way I read your response was that you were saying no, you don't need to tip them.

ETA:
It's part of the cruise deal. It's like never wanting your room cleaned. You still are committing the room steward to be there and be available to clean your room. Do you owe him a tip? Of course you do.

I suppose you could remove the tips. Wouldn't be right, though, no matter how you might try to justify it.

I totally agree

Two years ago, we went on an all-inclusive land vacation at a very popular and well-know family resort. They have a no-tip policy as it is "included" in your vacation fee.

The food service was AWFUL. Three hour dinners (with a 5 month old and 2 year old :furious:), wait staff that "forgot us", no continuity between meal to meal (different servers each time) and always having to ask and wait for everything (food courses, drink refills, water, ordering for dessert.)

There was absolutely no incentive for any of the work staff to go above and beyond like they do in the cruise lines, and there were really not a lot of "superstars" there. More like people doing a job for a paycheck. In their defense, part of this was because it was a more free-style dining (different "Restaurants" each meal) instead of having the same waitstaff for each meal.

While I agree that nickle and diming the costumers to pay for the "help" is really financially in the best interest of the company's bottom line, it is also the best way to motivate the wait staff to give the best experience to their customers that they can.

In the end "money talks and BS walks."

I agree with you to a point--that tipping in most situations should absolutely be performance-based. Except for the purposes of this specific discussion, we can't compare land dining with cruise dining. On land, if we don't attend dinner, that server gets someone else sitting in our place and has a chance to make up that money we didn't give them with another guest. On the cruise, they don't get someone else. If we don't show up, and we decide not to tip as a result, they lose that money. Period. So unlike in a land restaurant, the minimum tip is important in my opinion, regardless of whether you attended dinner that night.

I understand if you go to dinner and get sub-par service and you choose to reduce your tip...totally appropriate. If you have exceptional service, you may wish to give more (we did). But to not show up and think that means you should remove the minimum tip...I think there is a strong argument against that in the case of cruise dining.

To the Op who asked about notifying a server if you will not be there one night. It would also be a courtesy to your table mates to do so if you have them. Servers will wait to take the order of all those at the table until all are seated. You might be delaying your table mates from ordering as the wait staff waits for you to arrive.

The following is not directed at the OP who is feeling attacked. More as a general. Regardless if you like the tipping system or not it is not the fault of the waitstaff. They leave their families behind and work on these ships 7 days a week for extremely long hours to give their families a better life. They count on the tips to provide for their families. It's appropriate to reduce or not tip for bad service. But, to not tip your own staff so you tip the guy at the ice cream machine means the staff assigned to you get less than the income they count on while the guy at the ice cream machine gets more, because he got his tips from the families assigned to him plus part of another teams. The only fair way to do it would be a flat rate per person (with adjustments to your own teams based on service).

To the Op who asked about notifying a server if you will not be there one night. It would also be a courtesy to your table mates to do so if you have them. Servers will wait to take the order of all those at the table until all are seated. You might be delaying your table mates from ordering as the wait staff waits for you to arrive.

I will let them know ahead of time. Thanks :thumbsup2

I'd just like to take a moment to comment that from my experience on the net, the subject of tipping tends to inflame passions on all sides.

No matter what site you're on...

To summarize (nicely) for the OP:

It is the custom on a cruise ship to tip your MDR servers, whether you eat there or not. They are there to serve you, they rely on your tips, and they will not get a "walk-in" to make up the money they are missing. Agree or disagree with the practice, it is expected and part of the cost of cruising. Budget for it. That is why many cruise lines add tips automatically. The servers have to deal with rude and ignorant people who skip out on tipping, the worst being the people who eat in the MDR the entire cruise and receive excellent service all week, then they remove the tips through Guest Services and eat at the pool the last night to avoid paying. I'm sure this is not you, or you wouldn't be asking. But unfortunately, it does happen. But now you know what the custom is. The same applies to your stateroom host. Even if you put the Do Not Disturb sign out all week and clean up after yourself, they are there to serve you, and they rely on your tips. It is not right to refuse to tip them when they are willing and able to do an excellent job for you.

If you are unhappy with the service, you should address it with the head waiter and adjust your tips downward if it is still not resolved to your satisfaction. But you shouldn't adjust tips downward for not allowing them to serve you. There is no real option on a cruise to opt for the "quick service dining plan" to avoid tipping.

As others have stated, you will see your servers in many other places on the cruise, and they will likely be serving you breakfast and lunch each day or working at the quick service restaurants during non-dinner hours. They do not get tipped specifically for those meals - they are relying on the tips from the people at their tables during dinner.

You may additionally tip anyone you choose, so if you want to tip the ice cream guy, have at it. I'm sure he will be thrilled.

There are cruise lines that include tips in the cruise fare, but most mass market cruise lines count on the guests to understand and comply with the process.

I think the tips should be included automatically , that way all staff gets their wage regardless if people show up to eat in the MDR or not . I love treating the staff to extra cash but if my service was poor I would only tip the bare minimum . Happy Cruising

I wanted honest answers, but people don't need to get so over the top with there honesty. If I was trying to do something wrong, then by all means be angry. But as I posted several times, I was simply looking for clarity.

Also, I am completely "lightened up" which is why I didn't expect people to get so up in arms that I asked a question, because I simply didn't know the procedures. And if you read through the whole thread, there is rude comments being made, and one in particular that was uncalled for. IMO anything other than being 100% friendly is uncalled for.

Wow... I almost can't believe the responses you received :/
I was interested to read this because I also did not know how the cruises worked (exactly) as far as servers and so I know where you are coming from! The basics of "going out to eat" start with "If they don't serve me, they do not need a tip" and so that's where you started with your question since that's all you seemed to have to compare it to- eating a restaurant. But now it's a journey to find out how CRUISES operate, and we did not KNOW that the servers do other various types of serving around the ship that do not receive tips & that they still deserve full compensation, even if a dinner is 'missed'. The attacks still have my jaw on the floor. So sorry :( But now we know... in one way or another ;)

We plan on either eating at the counter service, room service or Cabanas.

Exactly! We are fine with eating at the counter service & room service. We don't like the rich fancy food with all the sauces and stuff my family doesn't care for.
Just an FYI - the food that's served in Cabanas are selections from the main dining room menu, so you may not want to eat there if you don't like what's on those menus.

Also, in case you missed it, you can ask for no sauce. You'd be surprised what the servers can do for you, if you just ask.

Folks.. There are so many alternatives to the MDR. The buffets, Cabanas, and massive amount of foods served on deck not to mention room service...
There is really no reason to eat in the MDR every night.

Room service on your balcony is much better then any MDR if you ask me.

If someone asks a question, lets answer it and not try to change their mind or convince them otherwise please.

To the OP: just curious but what is it you plan to get at the other dining venues that you can't get in the MDRs? They were very accommodating in the MDRs. On our last cruise one family told me the chef prepared vegetarian Indian cuisine their entire trip because that's what they ate at home and it wasn't usually on the menu. That's amazing! It seems that if you wanted your food prepared a certain way in the MDRs it could happen. I liked the MDRs because of the sit down service. Buffets can be a pain when you have a small child. I loved the way the severs basically took care of my son so that I could relax and enjoy my meal. The room Servive offerings, while very good, can be limiting and become boring after a while. The buffet food was ok but I wouldn't want to eat there every night for dinner. That's just me though. I guess I liked the feeling of being taken care of in the MDRs.

Have a great trip! :)

addlema said:
Folks.. There are so many alternatives to the MDR. The buffets, Cabanas, and massive amount of foods served on deck not to mention room service...
There is really no reason to eat in the MDR every night.

Room service on your balcony is much better then any MDR if you ask me.

If someone asks a question, lets answer it and not try to change their mind or convince them otherwise please.

Cabanas is the only buffet on the ship, and at night for dinner it isn't a buffet. So you got Cabanas(except for first and last night), food by pools, room service, Palo/Remy(18 and older guests)

I didnt get the impression that OP is avoiding MDR for the purpose of trying to avoid tipping.

We will also be skipping MDR every night unless we get moved to main dining because late seating is simply too late for us and for our toddler. If that means a combination of room service, cabanas and quick service then oh well. I've done DCL and know the food is not why we're there.

So, I'm also interested in how the answers pan out. Who does serve dinner in cabanas and how do they get tipped - everyone tips their MDR dinner crew - so who tips the Cabanas dinner crew?

You raise a good point!!!

We all tip room service when we order - what if we were to order ALL of our meals through room service?

Would we then - still - be expected to tip the MDR servers?

After all, if we only dine through room service, we haven't utilized the MDR servers in any way at all! :confused3

You raise a good point!!!

We all tip room service when we order - what if we were to order ALL of our meals through room service?

Would we then - still - be expected to tip the MDR servers?

After all, if we only dine through room service, we haven't utilized the MDR servers in any way at all! :confused3

The majority of responses in this thread say yes, you still tip the MDR servers (I agree). I'll requote another post as to why.

I'd also like to reemphasize the fact that your seats for the MDR for dinner each night are assigned to you and your family alone. Even if you tell someone that you won't be eating in the MDR, they will not reassign those chairs to someone else since they "must" give you the option of eating in the MDR if you change your mind. Not tipping on those seats is, indeed, "stiffing" them for the week for a decision they had no control over since they have no way to make up that money elsewhere.

The majority of responses in this thread say yes, you still tip the MDR servers (I agree). I'll requote another post as to why.

In all honesty, the reason you quoted:

"I'd also like to reemphasize the fact that your seats for the MDR for dinner each night are assigned to you and your family alone. Even if you tell someone that you won't be eating in the MDR, they will not reassign those chairs to someone else since they "must" give you the option of eating in the MDR if you change your mind. Not tipping on those seats is, indeed, "stiffing" them for the week for a decision they had no control over since they have no way to make up that money elsewhere."

is not quite correct.

Your assigned table won't be reassigned because everyone already has their own assigned table long before the ship ever sails. ;)

However, DCL also does not give folks the option of whether or not they wish to even have an assigned seating - so in essence, aren't folks being forced to pay for something they may not wish to utilize?

It's an interesting situation!

I also have to wonder if the poster you quoted would consider the servers as being "stiffed" when the ships sail less than full? Those empty tables are just as empty either way. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter