Skipping Assigned Dinning Rotation?

jahber said:
I didn't see anyone answer the question about tipping for dinner at Cabanas.
Those servers are salaried (and in training, I believe) and aren't tipped. Unless you want to, I suppose.
I would at least let the head server know when you won't be there. It does make dinner go more smoothly for those who are eating at your table : )

Once we left cash on table. Another cruise we had same guy in topsiders for several nights. The last night they were closed so we left money in an envelope with his name at guest services.

MellieluvsDisney said:
:thumbsup2

The OP said she wanted to try something different, she wasn't trying to rip anybody off. It was a legitimate question.

Since it would be my choice not to eat in MDR, I would still pay the tip recommended. That's a big part of their salary.

Thank you for reading my entire post, and not simply looking for a reason to attack me. I appreciate the *few* kind people!

If DCL feels every server should get the recommended amount then they should just include it in the cruise fare and never mention it again. Then any tips would truly be a "thank you" for a job above and beyond and not feel like an obligation because if we don't tip the server won't be able to make ends meet.

OK, so you think they should do this.

They won't. It's not happening.

If you really feel that strongly about it, in my opinion you should choose not to cruise...not choose to make a "statement" by not paying the workers. Your statement has zero effect on the cruise line, and significant effect on the servers.

sweetpee_1993 said:
To the OP:

DH & I also plan to not eat at any of the MDRs for dinner on our upcoming 3-night Dream cruise. We're leaving the teenagers at home (and school -- Bwaaaahahahaaa) and enjoying each other doing things we haven't before. We're eating our dinners at Palo, Cabanas, and Remy. DH finally got around to asking me what we do with the prepaid tips to the MDR staff since we aren't eating our dinners with them like we have previously. I told him I still planned to leave the recommended gratuities for them because even tho we don't eat dinners in the MDRs we enjoy breakfast and lunch options moreso than the buffet. That was a good perspective to present and it makes us both feel okay with paying those recommended gratuities. Of course we'll be tipping additionally at Palo & Remy. We accept all of this as part of the overall experience and customary way of doing things.

In a different thread I asked the question where do we take the gratuity envelopes if we won't be seeing our MDR servers on the last night or the morning of debarkation. We normally hit the buffet our last morning because we always select 2nd seating and don't want to wait that long to eat breakfast. I was told we could drop the envelopes at Guest Services the last night. I also asked if we needed to let someone know (head server?) that we weren't going to be dining at the MDR for dinner. I was told we could maybe let the CMs at the dining changes location during embarkation know. I don't want our MDR servers to go to a lot of trouble resetting our table for us only to have us not show up. Ya know?

They're good questions you have. I had them, too. I don't think you were coming off trying to be cheap or like you were trying to stiff anyone. Definitely felt like you were looking for clarification and sufficient reasoning to justify the cost. I know I don't like feeling as if I'm paying for something I'm not getting. I think you got some good info here. The recommended gratuities cover a lot more than just the MDR service at dinner. :thumbsup2

Thank you very much for understanding my post!

There are lots of food choices in the MDRs, and they will go "off menu" if you ask. You can get a steak and baked potato every night. When DD wanted a hamburger on a night that it wasn't on the menu, our server sent someone to Pluto's to get it for her

If you don't like food with sauces, etc., any item can be ordered with sauce on the side (or none at all). In addition, each night there is the option of a grilled fish, chicken breast, or steak all served completely plain. If there is something you really want, talk to the head server--they can often arrange it for the next night.

If you want to be seated as "just our family," let them know (call DCL and have it added to your reservation, then after boarding check to see that you got it). Take an infant to the dining room in a stroller--hopefully they will fall asleep. Need early dining--waitlist in advance, then talk to the head servers after boarding if you didn't get it.

Honestly, I have reasons why I don't like the MDRs, but they would not be popular if expressed here. However, I have to weigh the advantages of eating in the pool deck restaurant in the evening vs. missing our regular servers and whatever is happening in the MDRs. I do suspect that on our next cruise, we'll spend more time in Topsiders.

Bonniec said:
I can think of several reasons why people might not want to go. If you have young children, late seating could be a problem. Especially if you have babies and don't want to use/pay for the nursery. Also, not everyone likes being seated with other people. Until I read it on these boards, I didn't even know you could request a table alone. DH and I ate in the MDR one night on the Bog Red Boat and then ate room service every night after that.

Also, the type of food may not appeal to everyone. My older son and DH are steak and hamburger kind of folks. We do plan to use the MDRs on our first cruise but that's only because "mom" is encouraging them to try the fru-fru stuff. They'll likely taste each thing and then get a burger or order room service later, lol

Exactly! We are fine with eating at the counter service & room service. We don't like the rich fancy food with all the sauces and stuff my family doesn't care for.

I simply would rather pay the tip directly to the people who will actually be serving me, such as Cabana staff, room service.

Again, though, you're double tipping the people who are "actually serving you"--they're getting the tips from their assigned guests in the MDR and yours. Or if we're talking about Cabana's, you're tipping people in a training restaurant who are already getting paid a salary as they're not expected to work for tips.

And you're not tipping the people working in the MDRs, thereby depriving them of a portion of their expected wages. If this was for something they did (poor service, etc.), that's one thing, but in this case there is literally nothing they can do to earn that portion of their wages.

Most people here are not trying to attack you. They are trying to explain why you should reconsider a decision that seems to "make sense" to you.

If DCL feels every server should get the recommended amount then they should just include it in the cruise fare and never mention it again. Then any tips would truly be a "thank you" for a job above and beyond and not feel like an obligation because if we don't tip the server won't be able to make ends meet.

Yeah, that's not going to happen on any cruise. The OP should definately tip in her situation because not going to the MDRs would not be the servers' fault, it's beyond their control and they count on those tips for their wage. However, if you go to dinner every night and your server sucks, despite you speaking to someone, then it would be appropriate to lower your tip or remove it. From what I read on these boards, Disney service is generally fantastic. But I do read occasional reports of things being really bad. In the end, the tips should be up to the passenger.

Thank you for reading my entire post! I think it is outrageous that I am being attacked for asking a question because I simply do not know the proper procedures, and want to make sure the correct people get paid. Gee some people need a little extra pixie dust in their morning coffee!

I wouldn't worry about it. I think people on these boards cruise a lot and forget that not everyone knows. Not everyone understands someone's reasons for not wanting to eat at the MDRs too. Like I said, I've only been on one cruise prior. We never tipped room service because I just didn't know I should. If I could go back in time and change it, I would. Also, we ate once in the MDR and never went back. This time we will try it, but we'll probably hit up the burger stand or order room service after, lol. BTW, don't forget that you can request your own table if you wanted to. It sounds like you might be able to request burgers too though I'm not sure. But don't feel bad if you don't go (it's your vacation), just do the recommended tips. :)

Have a good trip!

Perhaps you can take the tips you wanted to cancel for not using the MDR and tip at your other eating places instead. You can even tip at the ice cream machine! I'm sure whoever serves you will appreciate it. Why not tip who's actually serving you... I can see a point to this. I'm glad you're asking... a few different perspectives helps you choose. You're brave to ask, being that it can become a heated topic.

On my next cruise im only going on the 1st. 6th and 7th night .6th night is lobster night and 7th night is tip night. That way i can enjoy aqua duck and the pools while most people are at the dinner or show. Of course i will still tip the min suggested amount

chateau said:
Perhaps you can take the tips you wanted to cancel for not using the MDR and tip at your other eating places instead. You can even tip at the ice cream machine! I'm sure whoever serves you will appreciate it. Why not tip who's actually serving you... I can see a point to this. I'm glad you're asking... a few different perspectives helps you choose. You're brave to ask, being that it can become a heated topic.

Exactly my point, I want to tip the people who are waiting on me. I am not trying to stiff anyone, but rather just trying to make sure that the people get their tips.

Seriously not trying to attack you, but only to let you know that there may be an answer in addition to skipping the MDRs. For instance, if you know that you (or your child) wants a burger every night, tell them that on the first night--they will either make it or get it for you. It is easier for them if the staff has advanced notice.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

People have their convictions, and many times we don't know the history behind it. If we walked in their shoes, we'd know why, perhaps, they feel as they do.

chateau said:
You bit! Don't bite! Don't let it bother you. People have their convictions, and many times we don't know the history behind it. If we walked in their shoes, we'd know why, perhaps, they feel as they do.

"People have convictions" true, and the same can be said for my point. So people should not attack me without knowing my reasoning. I want to tip to go to the people who helped me directly, and am trying to understand how the tipping procedures work.

I'm with you, if I'm not being served by a specific person I'm not tipping them unless all tips were pooled, which they are not. I'll tip those that serve me and my family. If tipping is such an issue Disney should pay fair wages and get rid of the tipping protocol. Charge a little more for the cruise i'm paying it either way. Wake up people it's everyone's personal choice on what to do with "SUGGESTED" tips.

I'm with you, if I'm not being served by a specific person I'm not tipping them unless all tips were pooled, which they are not. I'll tip those that serve me and my family. If tipping is such an issue Disney should pay fair wages and get rid of the tipping protocol. Charge a little more for the cruise i'm paying it either way. Wake up people it's everyone's personal choice on what to do with "SUGGESTED" tips.

You are with whom? I don't see anyone here saying not tipping is okay. As someone just said a couple posts back, this is how cruising works. All cruise ships work the same, so maybe cruising is not for you. In the OPs case, she was simply inquiring as to how things work. What you are suggesting is entirely different.

Again, please refer to this....

Your Server and Assistant Server in the Main Dining Room are assigned to you for your cruise. Just because you do not eat dinner in the dining room, they will NOT have anybody else assigned in your place - therefore, they will not be getting paid.

Not going to the Main Dining Rooms is clearly your decision, but not tipping your Server and Assistant Server are not acceptable options in the cruise world.

Let me first start off by saying, "thank you" to the people who were actually *helpful*.

As for everyone else who only felt it necessary to be hateful, I am completed disgusted by the amount of attacking/flaming post's that were left because I was asking a simple question. Lord forbid someone should not know everything and ask a question. Scoff, the horror of someone looking for clarity!

Have we really become so nasty as a society that we hide behind our computer screens on our "I know everything, I'm better than you", soap box where we attack people?! That is disgusting! Some of you all need some serious training in being polite, having manors, and not being so rude to a complete stranger! If you treat a complete stranger this ruddily, I hate to be your family or friends, because if this is how you act on your best behavior with a stranger, you must be a real pill to those who you are comfortable being yourself.

Gee some people need a little extra pixie dust in their morning coffee!

I will definitely think twice before I come to Disboards to dare ask a question again! I'll stick with my other Disney board from now on, where this type of bullying and unnecessary comments are not allowed by the moderators.

I don't think that most people were trying to be rude and/or lacked manners. They simply tried to explain that, in the cruise world, tips are expected to be paid by cruisers. Failure to do so, means that the Servers and Assistant Servers do not get paid. You indicated in more than one posting that you were not planning on tipping what is suggested by Disney.

I suppose since we will not be eating there at all, we can have the guest services completely remove the tips.

I mean don't get me wrong, I am not trying to get out of anything, do anything unfair, rip anyone off, etc. But I don't think it would be right/fair that I should have to pay tip, if I am 100% sure we will not be eating at the rotational dinning at all the entire cruise.

Hopefully, you now understand what tips you are supposed to be giving, regardless of whether you eat in the Main Dining Rooms.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

There was another question asked that I didn't see mentioned that I am interested in.

My family is not interested in doing formal night dining and we have decided to eat room service or on deck. .Probably room service for the novelty and fun..

Do we / Should we let the staff know that we will not be in the dining room that night but we will be most / every other nights?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter