Skipper's Canteen

MolonLabe

DTOM
The quick and dirty since It's 1:15 in the AM and I need to get some sleep before tomorrow...

-Walk ups only.

-40 minute wait time quoted was pretty accurate, they can also text you when your table is ready, I like that.

-Very friendly staff, all the way around.

-Jungle Cruise banter abounds. Very fun.

-3 rooms to eat in, main, secret meeting room (we were seated in) and another room, forget the name.

-table bread provided. Ethiopian family bread? Something like that with a honey type of dipping sauce. Different but we all enjoyed it.

-Wife had "head on shrimp", yes, heads are on. She enjoyed it but thought the portion size was a bit small.

-Kids had their version of mac n cheese, same as the adult version, just a smaller kid size. My youngest didn't care for it. Sent it back, I tried a bite. Meh. Got the chicken noodle soup instead. She ate it, I had finished the last half of her soup. Very bland. Odd texture as well because they use shredded chicken in it. Not that that is a bad thing, had it been more flavorful, it would have been a nice toss up.

-I had the Duck Pho noodle bowl. It was VERY good. Beware, it's spicy but excellent. Bad news, it's a TINY portion. I complained because I was still VERY hungry after eating it and half a loaf of bread myself. Great manager, brought us out some free falafels which were very good. I really hope they up the portion, even just putting in another scoop of rice noodles would probably do it. Cheap way to bolus the size.

-Oh the duck gave the dish a GREAT flavor and it was cooked perfectly. So, aside from portion size, 5 stars on it.

Overall, I enjoyed it and the head on shrimp and duck pho noodle bowl were very tasty but the portion size, on both, were too small. We're not pigs but if it wasn't for the extra bread and fallafels, we wouldn't have even been close to being full.

It's the first week and IMO, if the portion size is their only issue on the two "real" entrees we had, they are well on their way.

Pricing, if the portions were filling, are acceptable, I didn't think they were out of line.

Reactions: TJA
We had a group who rated SC between "awful" and "mediocre".

The arepas were tasty and well portioned for the price. The falafels were good, with a nice tahini sauce. Everything else was horrifically salty. I mean almost unpalatable. The chicken and pork dishes both were small portions, but it didn't matter. We didn't want to eat it all anyway due to the saltiness. Also, I later learned that red dye is added to the pork dish. Gross.

The bread with honey was interesting (Ener-G rolls for our gluten free group members.)

We found the "mess hall" decor to be uninteresting. The back rooms were very nice, though.

Lastly, we had bad luck with our server. She was sweet, but did not have any Jungle Cruise-ness to her.

We won't return.

thanks for your review...someone had the same dish that you had...and liked the noodle one...tahnks again

Thanks for clarifying that the Head on Shrimp actually did have the heads on, I'm guessing you took heads off before eating, was it very messy?

Not sure how I feel about the heads on the shrimp either and may not order it just bcuz of that (lack of) curb appeal. I just canceled an O'hana ressie for our January trip bcuz the reviews I'm reading for it are not what I would like them to be for what that place costs. I showed the SC menu to DS18 and he said it sounded "adventurous" and said "let's try it" so we'll try a walk-up for this instead of the O'hana meal. If nothing else this will be cheaper than O'hana… I rebooked O'hana for our summer trip and will hope the reviews improve before then….in the meantime, if we enjoy SC maybe they'll eventually start taking ADR's and we can try a return trip in the summer. Looking forward to it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter