• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skipper Canteen "push"

Ate at JNC Skipper Canteen yesterday! It was a great experience and I will go back again later this week or next...
When my server arrived she was quite polite. She seemed as if she might play it straight because I was just a table of one. I was not going to let her off the hook. She took my order and off she went. I looked around the room and formulated my plan on how I was going to bring her out. You see, it's give and take, we all laugh at the corny one liners because it's fun to play along. Shortly, she returned with my bread and honey dip. Most people here have complained that they don't like it. That the flavors don't go well together. I would have to disagree! It is different, but very tasty.

My compliments to the chef and all those at Skipper Canteen! What a great experience that I can't wait to have again!
My advice to fellow Disney-philes... try it out.

Great post PirateSAM, nice to read a positive review. I highlighted your comment about your strategy to 'bring her out." I suspect that you're a very personable and out-going guy, but many guests are not. I think the onus to portray JC skippers is on the CMs, not the guests. A lot of folks need someone else to break the ice, and I believe the CMs at the Canteen need to excel in this. Full disclosure: I'm a complete ham, so I'd be right there with you getting the server to play along. :)

Great post PirateSAM, nice to read a positive review. I highlighted your comment about your strategy to 'bring her out." I suspect that you're a very personable and out-going guy, but many guests are not. I think the onus to portray JC skippers is on the CMs, not the guests. A lot of folks need someone else to break the ice, and I believe the CMs at the Canteen need to excel in this. Full disclosure: I'm a complete ham, so I'd be right there with you getting the server to play along. :)
Agree, and that's a mistake we four adults made--not playing to the server. Then again, we didn't know there was supposed to be fun interplay or we definitely would have joined in. I also wanted to add that the cardamom bread with the fennel-infused honey was easily the best thing on the menu to us. They certainly aren't the usual herb profiles most people associate with either, but they marry well.

I think the lack of ADRs is NOT helping. I just booked a last minute trip in three weeks - and I was shocked to figure out it's not got ADRs. I booked a different TS because I want a TS meal in the MK that day. Now - reading this - maybe I'll try Skippers as a walk-up instead and cancel my ADR. I think the menu (lunch) sounds awesome!!!! I already couldn't decide between 4 of the entrees. Sorry to hear portions are small.

BUT - here's my concern - if I get there and there's a long wait - I'll be angry that I didn't keep my other ADR someplace else - I have lots of choices to do that tonight.

I think the lack of ADRs is NOT helping. I just booked a last minute trip in three weeks - and I was shocked to figure out it's not got ADRs. I booked a different TS because I want a TS meal in the MK that day. Now - reading this - maybe I'll try Skippers as a walk-up instead and cancel my ADR. I think the menu (lunch) sounds awesome!!!! I already couldn't decide between 4 of the entrees. Sorry to hear portions are small.

BUT - here's my concern - if I get there and there's a long wait - I'll be angry that I didn't keep my other ADR someplace else - I have lots of choices to do that tonight.

That would be my fear. I am not good when it is time to eat and I am looking for a place. Our last trip all of a sudden I was starving and becasue it was EMH, most CS was closed in the MK. One of my traveling companions finally said Give her a cheeseburger! Quick!! I guess I get grouchy! LOL.

For years we all plan dining ahead becasue we have to if we do not want to take chances with walk ups. Now we need to adjust, but what happens if there is no room?????

That would be my fear. I am not good when it is time to eat and I am looking for a place. Our last trip all of a sudden I was starving and becasue it was EMH, most CS was closed in the MK. One of my traveling companions finally said Give her a cheeseburger! Quick!! I guess I get grouchy! LOL.

For years we all plan dining ahead becasue we have to if we do not want to take chances with walk ups. Now we need to adjust, but what happens if there is no room?????
If possible for you, go early to the host/hostess desk--say 10:45 to 11 (they open at 11)--and get your name on the list. We were there on 1 Jan and did just that. We arrived right at 11 and only had to wait 10 minutes, and that's similar to many other experiences I've read about. That's not to say you'd have the same experience, but doing so would help your odds.

the problem is, a lot of guests don't want that "weird food." and even many of those who like "weird food" are not giving good reviews. I couldn't care less about the ADRs, but no TIW? What's with that?

Don't think they will add booze but I'm anticipating a menu change.

Last edited:
If possible for you, go early to the host/hostess desk--say 10:45 to 11 (they open at 11)--and get your name on the list. We were there on 1 Jan and did just that. We arrived right at 11 and only had to wait 10 minutes, and that's similar to many other experiences I've read about. That's not to say you'd have the same experience, but doing so would help your odds.

My DD is going in July and she is planning on swinging by. They have their TS booked, but left MK wide open. I figue by our trip in December the "glitches" will be worked out.

The menu doesn't appeal to me at all. And there is nothing on the kids menu DS would eat, so it's a no go for us. It's too bad, we were looking forward to trying it, until we saw the menu.

Seems like their answer is pretty well summarized here. Combining the ADR policy with a menu that doesn't appeal to a lot of people due to taste/ cost isn't a recipe for success.

There's honestly not a lot on the menu that appeals to me. ADR or no, I don't see myself bothering to go.

I think this is the problem - the menu is a bit too adventurous for the average American theme park visitor. I reckon it's a matter of time before they start dumbing down the menu

My portion of the Skip's Mac & Cheese was so large the first time I ordered it, that I ordered the child's portion on my second visit. I was stuffed when we left after our first visit. After the complimentary bread & honey (which I loved!), my mac & cheese and the kungaloosh dessert, I couldn't have squeezed another bite into my mouth! I actually left about half of my mac & cheese in the bowl because I knew if I ate it all there were be no room for dessert.

I think this is the problem - the menu is a bit too adventurous for the average American theme park visitor. I reckon it's a matter of time before they start dumbing down the menu

Gosh, I hope not. I have read a lot of reviews, and they run all over the spectrum. I think they need to revisit it, add childrens item, make the entrees a good value, and take ADR's.

I don't mind adventure. But I don't eat fish at all, and I eat very little pork. The chicken and steak don't seem interesting.

Perhaps people who don't find the food interesting, or want ADRs, TIW, or alcohol, should just give up on Skipper Canteen and find somewhere else to eat. It'll make more tables available for the rest of us who actually enjoy the restaurant! I mean, if you don't like pizza, you don't go to a pizza joint...right?

:confused3 just a thought ...

Sooo... for those who are saying the menu isn't appealing. Is it because the food is too out there or is it too normal?

To out there, to boring, to expensive and even though the Jungle Cruise is a hit...not enough to start a restaurant from it. And really, it doesn't seem like Jungle cruise food. Plus it's MK. You already have BOG that has higher end food as compared to CP, The Plaza and LTT. I think this is a miss. I think they need to add it to the system and they will get a boost, but in the long run, I think the food (coupled with the pricing) is a miss. Plus, I think it's a big miss for kids. Just my opinion.

It's not stuff I care to eat. And it seems too random - if you're going with a theme, there should be consistency.

I was so excited before it opened, but I took one look at that menu and said, "no, thanks." Does NOT appeal to me at ALL!

The lack of ADRs doesn't bother me, though. I think that's a great idea. I just wish they would try it at a restaurant with food I'd actually eat.

Perhaps people who don't find the food interesting, or want ADRs, TIW, or alcohol, should just give up on Skipper Canteen and find somewhere else to eat. It'll make more tables available for the rest of us who actually enjoy the restaurant! I mean, if you don't like pizza, you don't go to a pizza joint...right?

:confused3 just a thought ...
Apparently, these people are eating elsewhere...isn't that the whole point of this thread?

Just my two cents. Even thou the menu doesn't look that appealing I think I would take a flyer on it. I would just like to experience for myself. With that said, can it be as bad as Tony's? I have never eaten there but wow the reviews are awful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter