Skipper Canteen or LTT??? Help :)

tndisney5

DIS Veteran
Which would you choose for an MK dinner? We have 1 TS to use on the day we visit and we'd like to dine in the park vs a resort restaurant.

We have never been to either but want to try one of them. My gut says to give Skipper a go.

Any opinions on either?

If you are more of an adventurous eater, I would absolutely go to Skipper Canteen! The atmosphere is wonderful - so many details! And the food was really good. Now, I have to admit, I've never been to LTT. I had an ADR for our trip last November, but then I read (watched?) a review that said it wasn't as good. So, I cancelled our ADR and changed to SC, and I'm glad we did!

We really like both places but the food and the atmosphere are very different. LTT is much more traditional - colonial style furnishings and real comfort food. Skipper Canteen has several dining rooms each with their own flare and the menu is definitely something different. There are pictures of both on line including pictures of the food and menus. For dinner, I would go with Skipper Canteen followed by a ride on Jungle Cruise.

When are looking to eat dinner and what are you planning for afterwards? Liberty Tree is like eating a Thanksgiving dinner. So if you have plans to hit Space Mountain or the Tea Cups you may not want such a heavy meal. Also if you're not an adventurous eater, then the menu at Skippers may not be right. There is also the Plaza, Tony's, Crystal palace at MK.

Which would you choose for an MK dinner? We have 1 TS to use on the day we visit and we'd like to dine in the park vs a resort restaurant.

We have never been to either but want to try one of them. My gut says to give Skipper a go.

Any opinions on either?
LTT is American pot roast & roast turkey.

Skipper is Asian cuisine like Chinese dumplings, roast pork & crispy whole fish.

I've never been to Skipper Canteen, but I have been to LTT. The atmosphere there is really awesome and I have an ADR planned for there in November. I had Skipper Canteen as my back up, though, because I have heard pretty good things about it. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but it would depend on what type of food you prefer and what you think you'll be in the mood for.

Consider what you are doing after you eat. LTT is basically like eating Thanksgiving dinner, including that "please kill me, I ate WAY too much" feeling after Thanksgiving dinner. I really enjoy LTT but I always have to tell myself to slow down so I don't get stuffed. It's no fun to walk through the park feeling like you are going to explode.

Consider what you are doing after you eat. LTT is basically like eating Thanksgiving dinner, including that "please kill me, I ate WAY too much" feeling after Thanksgiving dinner. I really enjoy LTT but I always have to tell myself to slow down so I don't get stuffed. It's no fun to walk through the park feeling like you are going to explode.

HA! Yes...I imagine it is a lot like how I feel after Graden Grill!

While I like sit down meals in parks, I'm not looking to fill up too much if we're planning on any rides or a lot of walking around after the meal. We also like to snack a bit or have an ice cream in between meals while we're in the park.

While I like LTT at lunch, I wouldn't personally do dinner there, because there's no option other than the heavy AYCE dinner. If the DD wants to do a character meal, that's an exception I'd make (but we're not there for the food, we're there for the characters).

I haven't been to Skipper's yet, but I'd probably choose that since I'd be able to do an app and a salad or split a meal in order to not go overboard on food.

I'd take it down to brass tacks. You know your family best. After a long, busy day in MK, do you want comfort food or do you want unique, harder to find than at home, dining? Definitely check out the updated menus for both either on disney dining site or allears. IMO Skipper's is better because it offers food that is different from what I can get at home. I also cook a mean Thanksgiving dinner so LTT isn't as much of a draw.

Check out the menus for both. For my family Skippers is the better choice but your family might be different. I prefer fish over turkey any day.

I have a reservation for JSC again this year but I'm debating on doing LTT which I haven't done in years. My husband will love the turkey! I so wish they just had a turkey dinner that you could order. That would be wonderful!

Last edited:
Eaten at both twice. Skipper for sure. We absolutely love the fried chicken. Very different, but great. Atmosphere and service has also been great as well and for us, it's the most relaxing restaurant at the MK by far.

Dinner at LTT may be issue if you're doing anything after, like one of parties. Otherwise, I say go for it. I actually booked both for our next trip. I got JSC for lunch but not for their fish. I like the Char Siu Pork there. I wouldn't order fish there anyway. It's looks :scared:. I booked LTT for lunch for the turkey and pot roast. My husband enjoys simple "home cooking" food and will try other things but mostly because of me so booking LTT is for him. We both will get what we want because I love cobbler.:lovestruc It's all about personal preferences but I don't think you would lose doing either one of them.

Last edited:
6(?) years back when the Crystal Palace was getting a renovation, the character breakfast was at LTT.
So help me, this was the best breakfast we'd had on property in all of our visits. I wish they would bring it back. It was a character breakfast with Chip, Dale, Goofy, and *I think* Minnie.

6(?) years back when the Crystal Palace was getting a renovation, the character breakfast was at LTT.
So help me, this was the best breakfast we'd had on property in all of our visits. I wish they would bring it back. It was a character breakfast with Chip, Dale, Goofy, and *I think* Minnie.

I think it's fine where it is.::yes::

I have been to both. No question - Skippers. The food is so good!! LTT is OK - it is comfort food that you can get at home. Skippers has a great atmosphere and menu. I went there with my teenage son who is very picky and he managed to find something to eat. He enjoyed the fried chicken (they have a great twist to it). The rest of us enjoyed the more adventurous choices - we loved them all. After eating at LTT I just want to curl up and chill on a couch. After Skippers I am ready to take on the park at night.

Please let us know what you selected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter